Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
...I see no reason to use less-effective forms when communicating on a channel with greater capability.
Di-di-dah-dit Di-dah Di-dah-dit Dah-di-dah, Dah Di-di-di-dit Di-dah Dah Di-dah-di-dah-di-dah

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
LOL!

Nice.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Ah... the notorious ego of the geek.

Lame.

I haven't even thought about this forum since some kind folk decided to be kind and provide some useful helpful ANSWERS (not trying to pick fights). Since then, I've been out there, in the real world... not paying two cents of thought OR energy to such a silly thing as this. That's right..I've been LIVING my LIFE...

All this blubbering with your geek code.. Really old. You seem to have spent WAAAAY too much time licking your bruised egos guys..

Get over it geeks. It's over. You're never going to take over the world, for this very reason...

Last edited by chakotay_da_silver; 2009-02-27 at 02:54.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
chakotay:

I really hope you're Indiginous American and "Chakotay" is your real name.

Otherwise, you've named yourself after a Star Trek character.

And you're calling us geeks...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
(emphasis added)

When the visible effects of my "hidden codes" are not available, or will likely not be available to some recipients (e.g. email), I fall back on the reliable plaintext methods: underscores, asterisks, and limited caps are all useful. But I see no reason to use less-effective forms when communicating on a channel with greater capability.
I regret getting in the way of the OP's 15 seconds of notoriety, not to mention the stigma of discussing style rather than focusing on his scintillating content. But I do think you're missing something.

Certainly, bold, italic, and underline have their place. They are very useful tools. But what happens if someone copies your marked-up text from the screen and inserts it into some other context? Let's find out. I'm going to preview this post (to simulate the experience of someone reading it) and select the first sentence of this paragraph. Then I'll return to the edit box and copy it into this post as the next line:

Certainly, bold, italic, and underline have their place.

Hmm. Something's missing! By relying on markup codes, you are making it easy for someone to misquote you without intending to do so.

I may need to raise my voice just a little to express fully what I'm trying to say here:

Plain text DOES have its advantages, even on a "channel with greater capability".

The Following User Says Thank You to RobbH For This Useful Post:
Posts: 301 | Thanked: 71 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Santiago, Chile
Oh boy. I also use caps for emphasis, because I think its simpler, but I do not get into fights because of them. I still consider myself very much a newbie, and I've been here for months. There are very talented people here, and even if I don't agree with all they say, I still owe them respect for what they know, and most of all for all the time they put here, to get everyone great programs and tweaks, and all the little thing we love our tablets for.
Its all about the right attitude, wich believe it or not, works the same way in real life. Seriously, I've asked really odd stuff here, and have always gotten a nice answer back, and I can't help it but to enjoy this forum, and I really appretiate a lot of the people here. Just follow a basic respect code, and you'll come to like this place.

PS World domination is near, just wait ^^

Posts: 253 | Thanked: 104 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Midwest, USA
Sometimes I just like to pick a random fight (debate may be a better term) with someone who knows more than me about a topic. Some people lend themselves to this more than others.

I wouldn't necessarily call it trolling, but wouldn't it be fun to argue about whether or not it is? We could go on for hours or days...anyone interested?

Last edited by neatojones; 2009-02-27 at 06:16.

Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
Oh god, please stop. Please.

neatojones: Hours and days is a conservative estimate, I am sorry to say.

What have we learned here.

1) DONT USE CAPS (oh, oops...), well not all the time.
2) Give Respect, Get Respect. Simple.

www.ezschool.com - The best online educational experience.

Posts: 253 | Thanked: 104 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Midwest, USA
Originally Posted by Thesandlord View Post
neatojones: Hours and days is a conservative estimate, I am sorry to say.
Wanna debate that? No? Dang...LOST ANOTHER ONE!.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
Di-di-dah-dit Di-dah Di-dah-dit Dah-di-dah, Dah Di-di-di-dit Di-dah Dah Di-dah-di-dah-di-dah
"F4RK6AT" ??

http://morsecode.scphillips.com/cgi-bin/morse.cgi