Originally Posted by electrolind View Post
If you have any questions, please don't let the 'leet' -ches get to you. They were once as you are now....
O rly?

You might try to find some evidence, before you go tossing accusations around. I don't think you'll find that posting a new thread without a rudinmentary search is as common as you imply. And I think a lot of people, whether new here or not, would profit from reading one of ESR's HOW-TOs... nay, all of them.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 226 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on May 2008 @ Texas/Earth/Sol System/Milky Way/Local Group/Hubble Bubble/Infinity
The ESR howto's are great! I'm going to read all of them before asking any more questions. I've been looking for something like that.

I just wish I could do this one:
"Try to find an answer by asking a skilled friend."

<sigh> I soo ronrey ... (re: Team America)

Humbly, I hope to soon include several members of these forums as friends - as much as that is possible via the 'net.

Hopefully I will be asking less questions and answering more soon

Steve

Well, only the one is relevant to asking (and answering) questions in a useful fashion. But they're all good reading.

Posts: 226 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on May 2008 @ Texas/Earth/Sol System/Milky Way/Local Group/Hubble Bubble/Infinity
This paragraph is good; I'l try to remember it when it is time for me to take my lumps:

Remember: When that hacker tells you that you've screwed up, and (no matter how gruffly) tells you not to do it again, he's acting out of concern for (1) you and (2) his community. It would be much easier for him to ignore you and filter you out of his life. If you can't manage to be grateful, at least have a little dignity, don't whine, and don't expect to be treated like a fragile doll just because you're a newcomer with a theatrically hypersensitive soul and delusions of entitlement.
Steve

Posts: 631 | Thanked: 837 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Milton, Ontario, Canada
I'm not quite sure how this turned into such a heated discussion at times; just be sure to do a quick search for things before posting immediately that's all... I'm not going to get involved in it beyond saying that ;o)

In terms of what works for USB-Ethernet adapters and how to get it all setup best bet is to read the Wiki Entry for it:
http://www.internettablettalk.com/wi...de_and_OS_2008

Thanks,
-Rob

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jolouis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 9 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Stuttgart, Germany
Thanks a lot to everybody especially to Rob for the useful wiki article which brought me forward a bit.
Meanwhile I was told by Linksys that a driver for the USB200M is not available for the maemo linux based OS2008.
Therefore, the link you recommended is clarifying a lot. I understood that the USB 1.0 model USB100M adapter can be used straight away but (there is always a but!) the USB200M (which I posses) needs additional power supply which can not be supported by the USB OTG chip. But the wiki article refers to the N800 !!
Is this valid also the N810 or can N810 supply the adapter without outer help??
This would be my last question for now. Regards, Robert

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by dociii View Post
But the wiki article refers to the N800 !! Is this valid also the N810...
Yes.

...or can N810 supply the adapter without outer help?
No.

ok ok. I was once where you were and i don't want you to get addicted to coffee reading that usb dongles thread. First you have to buy a usb adapter like:
http://www.electronicproductonline.c...oducts_id=2004
or
http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-Micro..._sim_e_title_2

Now from this you can buy an adapter than can convert usb to ethernet.
http://www.electronicproductonline.c...oducts_id=1799

Now once you've gotten all this go to the wiki and read the HOWTO on Wired Networking
http://www.internettablettalk.com/wi...de_and_OS_2008

Last edited by Scarflash; 2008-06-14 at 06:03.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scarflash For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ Netherlands
Hi,

I got the usbLAN package installed.
The eth0 interface is up and I can assign an IP address with ifconfig but what I really want is DHCP doing it for me. In hotels they do not tend to give me the hotel network credentials. (and the girl at the reception is no help either ;-)

Can anyone help me with this?

Thx!

Hi;

Have you tried

Code:
udhcpc --help?

Steve