Posts: 425 | Thanked: 132 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ California
@stevecrye - hmmm I seem to be following you around today :P I think the google custom search for the forums (available on the main page) supports all the normal boolean operators that google supports

Warning: dates on calendar are closer than they appear.

The Following User Says Thank You to josiahg777 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
dociii:

'If If you can not help me I can look into another forum!!'

Are you saying this discussion and links didn't provide help?? The answer is, get a travel router. It will provide a wireless connection in the hotel for you. The travel router connects to the rj-45 connector.

Last edited by geneven; 2008-06-08 at 02:45.

Docii:

Like most unix communities there are a lot of emotionally immature sorts on these forums who think it's cool to be rude. Ignore them. There are some good folks here too.

Good luck

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to oldmancoyote1 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 81 | Thanked: 50 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ The Great White North
Hiya docii,

I too like to access the internet from hotel rooms when I'm traveling. I have found most useful 1) a mini USB to regular USB adapter (available from user jolouis and other places) 2) a travel router (I love mine, works almost everywhere) 3) A USB to Ethernet adapter (travel routers do NOT work everywhere so a hardwired unit is needed). If you have any questions, please don't let the 'leet' -ches get to you. They were once as you are now....

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to electrolind For This Useful Post:
Posts: 226 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on May 2008 @ Texas/Earth/Sol System/Milky Way/Local Group/Hubble Bubble/Infinity
Hey Electrolind ...

Any caveats about those adapters, such as brands to avoid? I saw some at Best Buy the other day. Is it as simple as hooking up the adapters, running USB control, clicking on "host" and getting on?

If you have the time, a bit of a step-by-step, with a few noob-ish details, would be great.

Thanks,

Steve

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
i think i read that the kernel comes with realtek driver ready, but one could probably bump into a adapter (usb to ethernet that is) that use some other chip. and rarely if ever do they list what chip they use on the outside

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by caulktel View Post
Jeez Benson, did you wake up on the wrong side of your NIT this morning? Lighten up!
It's fun, isn't it, Benson?

The Following User Says Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 9 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Stuttgart, Germany
Hi,
and thanks a lot for those who tried to help me. Meanwhile I found a network adaptor USB200M of Linksys but Linksys offers drivers only for windows xp, 2000, millenium and 98.
I wanted to contact Linksys to ask what about OS2008, but it was not possible during the weekend. I will try tomorrow. Or can somebody else help me??
Robert

Posts: 772 | Thanked: 183 times | Joined on Jul 2005 @ Montclair, NJ (NYC suburbs)
I bought a Netgear travel router for $10 some two years ago on-sale at a computer store I happened to be in. Simple to use, to understand, to connect to. Left it on one of my summer travels and couldn't find the same router for less than $40 anywhere. So I ended up buying a smaller Linksys WRT54G S travel router.

Both these routers are specifically intended for plugging into a hotel room connection and letting one or a handful of users access the internet wirelessly. I'm not sure how useful my experience will be because I don't know if these are even sold these days. But any replacement models will surely have the same create-an-instant-wireless-network capability for adhoc business meetings.

I can't say as to how I've had any trouble with the Linksys travel router, but it has always run very hot and is a tad more complicated to set up than the Netgear was. Btw, I almost always kept each router set to single-user as a security precaution, but never had any difficulty switching to multi-user mode.

Well, 5 minutes and google says that for the USB 200M you'll need usbnet (which I already know we have, or you could find quite briefly) and asix (which is not so obvious) drivers; another 5 minutes and itT search shows that asix has been compiled, and by who. If you can't find it posted publicly (I didn't look further, not needing it), then you can PM that guy...