Posts: 155 | Thanked: 19 times | Joined on May 2008 @ Tokyo, Japan
Hello Ant,
I just signed up for Wireless Gate a few weeks ago and used it one time from a McDonald's access point. I was streaming live video from the MacDonald's window to uStream, and watching it come back at me in another browser window. Was pretty fast.

I am told that Yahoo BB Mobile and iPass are the two best in Japan. Wireless Gate is only in Japanese but iPass has English websites.

http://www.tripletgate.com/wirelessgate/
http://www.ipass.com/
(Wireless Gate uses Yahoo BB Mobile, Livedoor Wireless, and Airport Net).

Originally Posted by TokyoDan View Post
Hello Ant,
I just signed up for Wireless Gate a few weeks ago and used it one time from a McDonald's access point. I was streaming live video from the MacDonald's window to uStream, and watching it come back at me in another browser window. Was pretty fast.
LOL, so a bit like a very expensive mirror then? :-)

I'm as well living in Tokyo since last year and I'm using my Nokia N800 a lot to access the Internet using WiFi access points.

If some of you come to Tokyo, I recommend you to join the FON community before, there is a lot of access points everywhere and since a few months back you can use as well livedoor access point for free if you are a FON member, so it's really easy to find a FON ap anywhere...

Erm, be careful with FON, AFAIK they still haven't said what happens if someone uses your access point to do something illegal.

Originally Posted by krisse View Post
LOL, so a bit like a very expensive mirror then? :-)
I guess you could say it was like an expensive mirror but I am not a narcissist. I was testing the speed to see if want I want to do is feasible over a wifi connection.

My new Nokia N810 just cleared Narita customs. Shipped from Hong Kong thru SUBIC BAY PH. Can't wait! Should be in my hands by 6PM. Also got a FON wireless router for it.

Keep us posted

My La Fonera+ and the Fontenna just arrived from Amazon.jp. But I'm still waiting for the main course, the N810. Can't wait to get this all running so that I can access the net from the park behind my house via the N810.

When you get it, charge it til it's full and then update the firmware. The latest firmware solves various bugs.

Also, as it's an N810, you might want to format the built-in 2GB memory card before you start using it because there was a problem in the way some units were formatted at the factory. It's very easy to correct this, just go to the file manager, select the memory card and select the format option:

http://tabletschool.blogspot.com/200...d-on-n810.html

The odds are that your card is fine, but the process of checking whether it's fine is a lot more complicated than the process of fixing any potential problem, so it's easier just to fix it even if it isn't broken.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to krisse For This Useful Post:
Well, I got home from work today (took longer than usual, 25 minutes just to get out of the parking on the roof of the mega-store where I work) to find a box with my new N810. I resisted tearing off the wrapping and chose to have dinner first, check my email, and then post this. Now I'm about to see what's under the wraps. But getting a new gadget is close to a religious experience for me. I will carefully open the box, take a quick look at everything before poring over the complete manual. I am a "RTFM" type of guy. Then I will plug in the battery, and charge the n810 overnight. When I wake up tomorrow, I will check if the firmware needs to be upgraded and take care of that if necessary. Since tomorrow is a late start at work, I will carefully familiarize with my new friend and then get the wireless connection going with the FON router that arrived last night. Then my quest of using the n810 in new and interesting ways to promote my music websites will begin. I'll let you know the details of that quest soon.