Posts: 123 | Thanked: 33 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Stockholm
Heh... I tried to solve the problem by moving the LOCALEs out of the root file system. So, I looked in the /opt/maemo/usr/share/locale and found it was already there. So I deleted the /usr/share/locale and symlinked it to the /opt one. That gave me room enough to install the update today.

And it made my phone look very silly after the reboot. The /opt LOCALE only contained hildon-application-manager locales, and no others. So, most text fields said things like "Wdgt_Sys_24Hr_Clock" and such, instead of "23:37" and similar more meaningful statements. And in addition to look funny, it made the GUI broke at some places, moving buttons out of reach.

So, I had the problem that I wanted to bring back locales from hundreds of packages, but I didn't want to reinstall all my packages.So, I started with:

Code:
dpkg --get-selections | grep install | grep -v deinstall | awk '{print "apt-get --force-yes -yy -d install --reinstall" $1}' > /home/user/pkg.list
to get a list of all installed packages, including the apt-get command to download the .deb files. I ran the file, and all the .deb's were put in the apt-cache (which I long ago moved away from the root file system).

Next, I did:

Code:
/home/user/.apt-cache/archives # for i in *.deb ; do dpkg --fsys-tarfile /home/user/.apt-cache/archives/${i} > /home/user/MyDocs/pkgfiles/${i}.tar ; done
to get the actual files (tar:ed) out of the .deb files. After that I did:

Code:
/home/user/MyDocs/pkgfiles # for i in *.tar ; do tar xvf ${i} ; done
to unpack them from the tar files.

And then I just copied /home/user/MyDocs/pkgfiles/usr/share/locale/* to /usr/share/locale/

I could have done it a bit more neat by only extracting the locale files and so on, but it was quick and dirty and it did the job. Now my phone speaks English again.

And, listan people... I DID ALL THIS ON A CELL PHONE! It wasn't some UNIX server. It wasn't even a Linux laptop. IT WAS A CELL PHONE!

God, I love this machine.

/P

The Following User Says Thank You to Palleman For This Useful Post:
Moving nokia maps and microb helped clear up lots of space. (bottom http://wiki.maemo.org/Free_up_rootfs_space)

turn off catalogs in app manager too

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
What solved this for me was flashing twice -- eMMC and the other way, both described on the Wiki. Then starting over, though I did restore programs from backup.

Posts: 17 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Fort Lauderdale, FL
I keep getting the same memory error...

I find it simply ridiculous that an application (regardless of which repository it comes from) can tie up so much of the system that nothing else can work properly. A program that destroys system resources, ties up the processor, prevents new programs from being installed, and slows things down without telling the user it is doing so is a virus! Anyone who writes a program that is not optified and uses up root resources is an idiot. Any company that releases a device which boasts 32gigs of memory or 1gig of application memory but limits root to 100 usable megs is lying to its consumers. The fact that an enduser cannot increase available root memory is just lame. I have nearly 60 apps on my device; how do I sit down and figure out which ones are installed on the root file structure or not? How do I find out what is optified and what isn't? How do I look up which program came from which repository? Is there an app out there that fixes this ******ed problem? Why did all of these apps fit before I updated my firmware, but not after? Shouldn't a new firmware update fix problems like this? I paid nearly $600 for this device-this is financially unsettling.
I hate to say this (because I hate iApple) but an iPhone can install any app without causing any problems and not only costs less than half of the N900, but has teams of people working to fix problems in its operating system rather than leaving things up to developing communities who might choose to not optify anything.

Posts: 17 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Fort Lauderdale, FL
I'm not complaining; I think Maemo is the most amazing advancement for mobile phones in years. I want to see errors eliminated, problems fixed, and sales explode. I also want to be able to turn to a coworker or friend and show them something on my phone without being embarassed by bugs and hangups. Everyone I know that has an iPhone can do nearly anything they want without glitches constantly. I want to do the same with my amazing N900. That's all...

yupppyyyy ....... disabled some catalogs and it worked out just fine ........... im downloading it right now

Posts: 144 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Israel
Still says I haven't got enough space, yet when I check conky I see 33mb available...

to be clear, you need >=42MB of memory. I had the same issue until I emptied enough space.

From what I hear the next update will require about 42MB as well, which is currently an issue for me considering I m about 7 MB short, despite having removed almost all my applications etc.

Candidate for most hilarious two messages in a row sent by the same user:

1. "Anyone who writes a program that is not optified and uses up root resources is an idiot. Any company that releases a device which boasts 32gigs of memory or 1gig of application memory but limits root to 100 usable megs is lying to its consumers."

2. "I'm not complaining".

ROF,L as they say...

barcOde: I think you should reflash and reflash the eMMS. That will get rid of junk you didn't realize was there. Then watch carefully how stuff you install affects the amount of rootfs you have left. I'm not saying to be paranoid, but just watch to make sure you stay ok. You need enough memory to install these things.