Absolutely !!!
Perfect explanation!
I'm at work rigthnow, I will try it as soon as i arrive home. I'll let u known in case I enconter some difficulties.
thanks a lot for helping.

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Do you have a Netgear router? If not, ignore me...

Posts: 1,028 | Thanked: 578 times | Joined on Mar 2009 @ Chicago
Originally Posted by qwerty12 View Post
Do you have a Netgear router? If not, ignore me...
I could never ignore you... ur the man! (or at least one of em...)

I have a Belkin, I have ports forwarding, all that good stuff.

Also, I should note that at certain points during my trying to get it work, I actually could connect and everything worked perfectly. Then I would disconnect, try it again, and it stalls in the terminal before it hits the password prompt.

EDIT//

I think my biggest question is do I need to open a separate port for the ssh server, or just make it use 5900 like the vnc server?

That, and why does openSSH keep saying its using port 22... such a hassle!

Last edited by JayOnThaBeat; 2009-08-23 at 22:39.

The Following User Says Thank You to JayOnThaBeat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Ah, right, it's not what I was thinking of then

You can try running ssh with -vvv which should produce a full log. You may be able to see what is done different by SSH when it gets to the password prompt and when it does not

Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya
22 is the standard port, but you can use any port you like (don't know how to configure copssh for that, but you can simply open, say, port 7070 on the router and point it to port 22 inside the lan), you can use -p, like "ssh -p 7070 ...."

The Following User Says Thank You to luca For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
JayOnThaBeat:

Welcome to the wonderful world of SSH!

The -p switch is a very important part of ssh... I have a different port for each of the computers inside my LAN, so I can ssh into any one of them by just changing the port number.

Another cool thing to do is buy one of those routers that can use DD-WRT, then you can make your router into an SSH server. You tunnel to the router, and then, using tsocks, you can use VNC as if you are on your home network. (get tsocks from my repo or debfarm)

Well, there's really a lot you can do with ssh, just take a look at its manual page.

The Following User Says Thank You to luca For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by JayOnThaBeat View Post
Any thoughts out there on this? Any options I should know about, most likely on the server side?
thx~jay
More on the client side: though I never used the vnc viewer on the tablet, I used it on desktop pcs, and you have to take care that when you use a tunnel (so that vnc connects to localhost) it thinks that it has a really high speed connection, so it will automatically select the protocol with almost no compression. You'll have to force it to use the same encoding it would use on a wan.
I cannot tell you the exact options, but you can look them up.

Edit: either that or use the -C option (activate compression) to ssh. Just use one or the other though, not both.
Edit2: or experiment with a combination of both, whatever sails your boat. Usually trying to compress something already compressed will do more harm than good.

Last edited by luca; 2009-08-24 at 18:28.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to luca For This Useful Post: