Active Topics

Posts: 643 | Thanked: 628 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Seattle (or thereabouts)
nhanquy: What happens if you have gnumeric installed? Is there a conflict?

free: In scratchbox I set my target to ARMEL, then under mud-builder: cp packages/bc.xml packages/xclip.xml . (There's nothing special about bc.xml except that it's the simplest example). I tried to get and compile xclip but it failed to find xmkmf . At that point I almost gave up, but I gave a quick build of xutils-dev a try...and it worked! I installed the xutils-dev.deb under scratchbox, and compiled up xclip no problem.

Posts: 739 | Thanked: 159 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Germany - Munich
Thanks Johnx for the details.

I was lazy and didn't want to build xutils-dev so I created the makefile out of scratchbox. Then I modified the makefile to fit to armel and started the build with skipping xmkmf.

Posts: 678 | Thanked: 197 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ San Jose CA
Originally Posted by Johnx View Post
nhanquy: What happens if you have gnumeric installed? Is there a conflict?
It complains about the libart and won't install. By the way, can we copy the on-screen highlighted buffer or the copied buffer into a shell script?

Last edited by nhanquy; 2008-01-21 at 08:08.

Posts: 643 | Thanked: 628 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Seattle (or thereabouts)
Hmm...That's no good. I don't have gnumeric installed. If I get around to installing it later I'll try and see what's up with the conflict. No promises, though.

a script is just a text file so all you have to do is make a new file in Notes, set the format to plain text and hit paste. Just remember that whatever you save in "plain text" format will have a .txt added even if you didn't include one in the filename.

-John

Posts: 739 | Thanked: 159 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Germany - Munich
I have xclip and gnumeric installed on OS2008. No problem with libart
?

The app manager log would probably help

Update (Jan 24-2008)
Hey People

I think I found a program that will work, but with me not knowing anything about the Linux System and how it works, I hope that someone with check out the provided link and let US know. The Program is called ESpeak and is only 700K

http://espeak.sourceforge.net/

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I just installed it in Ubuntu. The default voice is loathesome. In text to speech, smallness of a program does tend to vary directly with quality.

BTW: In the somewhat related field of speech recognition, a beta of a new program for the Mac got a rave review, saying it was almost on a par with Dragon NaturallySpeaking. The price was quoted at $200.

lotta cool stuff here... anyone know how to poll pop email inboxes for new mail every n minutes and read subject lines of new mails so that similar script could be made? dont know if thats possible from xterm.

Posts: 251 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Houston, Texas
Does anyone know of a way, short of recompiling where you could change the voice of flite from male to female?

Originally Posted by rdcinhou View Post
Does anyone know of a way, short of recompiling where you could change the voice of flite from male to female?
No, you can't. Flite is designed to be able to use any festival voice without too much modification, but the way it's optimized for embedded use is by compiling a voice in. So changing voices shouldn't be all that much beyond a recompile, but it has to be recompiled.

The Following User Says Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post: