Well, I am new but I don't mind voicing a strong opinion. I had looked at most all the Tablets and was down to the Samsung Q series trying to evade having to remove my notebook from it's case and drop it into the grey bin at the airport. (The TSA does not treat them kindly). When the Q2 came out it had a keyboard like the Black Berry and (I'll just say it) I hated it. I wanted a "Slate" tablet without keyboard. I do not need the bulk of that much more to go wrong and a convenient place to spill Pepsi, plus I don't consider a "thumb" keyboard to be a "real" keyboard. Along with this I already have two GPS systems - one for the car and one hand held and do not need them running down the battery of my tablet or vice versa for that matter. How could you depend on a GPS to help you if you have just been on a remote long distance WIFI call across the country for an hour?

Hence - I like the N800 just as it is. I have found just today that it is a sweet sweet machine that will do more than I can imagine. Don't change it!

Just my opinion - excuse all the spelling (also got it for $224.00) Thanks //ji

For just a few files, like images or mp3īs, I find the bluetooth file transfer outstanding. Just pair the units up and then dragīn drop with your PC 'Bluetooth Exchange folder' from within the N800 Filemanager.

tolou, thanks - I am new to BT. What (BT) device would I purchase to connect to the PC or LAN ? //ji

You can buy a USB Bluetooth device about the size of a typical thumb drive, if your PC does not have BT built in. Go to newegg.com and search for bluetooth usb. They are usually inexpensive...$30.00 & under.

Well, I installed the vnc client and server. It works, but erratically, sometimes windows sees the Nokia, sometimes not. IP address is ok, but there seems to be no way to tell when the server is running. When it does connect, pointer behavious is also erratic. Clicking on RSS feeds, for example, works fine. The control bar on the left hand side of the screen doesn not. Any thoughts?

VNC seems like ideal solution to the file transfer issue, and probably should have been in the original release of the tablet. Any thoughts on getting VNC to work reliably?

Originally Posted by LouDdolinar View Post
VNC seems like ideal solution to the file transfer issue, and probably should have been in the original release of the tablet. Any thoughts on getting VNC to work reliably?
VNC kind of works perfectly on my N800. What configuration are you using by the way - server on N800 and client on PC, right? I have to restart x11vnc server every time I disconnect an active VNC connection, but other than that, it's a smooth ride for me.

Initially I installed only the server on the Nokia, and the client on the Laptop, and experienced the problems I previously described. I subsequently tried client on Nokia and server on laptop. That also connected but lost the connection rather quickly.

Server/PC Client/Nokia would be darned useful as well.

I have a hunch there's some minor configuration problem here, and that I'm going to have to learn to use the Linux command line interface, something I'd hoped to avoid. As I read the various postings, it appears that's the only way to tell whether the server's even running.

Sigh. All I wanted was a lousy "Honey do..." list I could sync over the 'net with my wife. I'd hoped to put off the hobbist part for a few weeks at least...

Posts: 354 | Thanked: 93 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ New York
Originally Posted by LouDdolinar View Post
Well, I installed the vnc client and server. It works, but erratically, sometimes windows sees the Nokia, sometimes not. IP address is ok, but there seems to be no way to tell when the server is running. When it does connect, pointer behavious is also erratic. Clicking on RSS feeds, for example, works fine. The control bar on the left hand side of the screen doesn not. Any thoughts?

I have used the x11VNC on the Nokia N800 and the TightVNC on several of my PC (Windows) here. I have not seen any erratic behaviors here. Just don't try watching a video on the N800 when x11VNC is activated and expect to see that video on a remote PC running TightVNC...that won't fly.

Yes, I initially had the three left icons on the N800 inaccessible from the PC.... I say intially because my Compaq Desktop PC and a Compaq notebook exhibited the inaccessibility, HOWEVER (and something I cannot explain) another of my Compaq notebooks here DID ALLOW access to the three N800 icons when I pressed the F3 key on the notebook. The Compaq desktop and the other Compaq notebook ignored the F3 key in TightVNC. I would not call that erratic but it is inconsistent. All of my Windows PCs for this test were running the exact same Windows XP Pro OS......really weird how only one of them allowed F3 in TightVNC to work the way it did, and that is important because without access to the three icons on the N800 left from the viewer (remote PC) you need to have the N800 within reach.

In closing, let me also report that I transfered a 180 meg video file using the x11VNC and TightVNC method over my WiFi and it took a long time (but it did finish successfully). It did work as it should but I would sneaker-net the file if I were to do it again, writing the 180meg file to the SD would go much quicker than using Wifi and VNC it seems. Regards M5.

Last edited by xxM5xx; 2007-10-28 at 15:21. Reason: spelling

Posts: 354 | Thanked: 93 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ New York
Question related to this thread. In a Windows PC you can pull up task manager and see what processes / applications are running..... is there an equivalent function on the N800?? Thanks. I ask because it is not obvious when x11VNC server is running on the N800, and I am concerned it might drain my N800 battery quicker if x11VNC is running generating WiFi data traffic, when I think the N800 is really in low power standby. I'd like a way to know if X11VNC is running. Regards.

Last edited by xxM5xx; 2007-10-28 at 15:17.

Here is how I do it and it is very simple:

Download and install Filezilla FTP server on your PC, set up a folder for FTP share and set up the password. Copy the files you want to transfer from PC to N800 into this folder on the PC.

Now from your N800 browser, type ftp://your_pc_IP_address like ftp://192.168.1.100 and you should see your files in that FTP folder on the PC. Download and save them to your N800.

But if you have a SD or SDHC card reader for your PC, you could just copy the files on the card directly.