Posts: 387 | Thanked: 707 times | Joined on May 2015 @ Italy
Originally Posted by wicket View Post
Has anyone tried the N9 port yet? I'd love to get some feedback.
I would like to try, on my N9 I have ubiboot with MeeGo and Nitdroid, what do I have to do to have it as another OS to boot?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to claustn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 634 | Thanked: 3,266 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Colombia
Originally Posted by claustn View Post
I would like to try, on my N9 I have ubiboot with MeeGo and Nitdroid, what do I have to do to have it as another OS to boot?
If you have ubiboot installed then you're already halfway there. There is a new version ubiboot but it isn't required as Leste is booted without an initrd. The new ubiboot does however now include a nice Maemo Leste graphic and a few things preconfigured for it. That reminds me that I should send a pull request to juiceme to set a few more defaults for Leste (described below).

To get Leste running, you'll need to create a new partition (ext4 is fine). Then you can unpack the .tar.gz dist for the N9 to that partition and configure ubiboot.conf to use it. Assuming you'll use slot 5:I'll write up a guide on the wiki once I've sent that patch to juiceme but in the meantime the above should get you going.

As I already mentioned, Hildon is broken on the N950 so I suspect it might be broken on the N9 too. So don't expect wonders, but USB networking works so that will give you complete access to the Devuan-like system to play around with.

Maemo Leste for N950 and N9 (currently broken).
Devuan for N950 and N9.

Mobile devices with mainline Linux support - Help needed with documentation.

"Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." - Henry Spencer

Last edited by wicket; 2018-05-04 at 19:44.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to wicket For This Useful Post:
The guide is now on the wiki. It also mentions a couple of alternative methods for if you don't want to repartition your eMMC.

Devuan for N950 and N9.

"Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." - Henry Spencer

Posts: 395 | Thanked: 509 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Brisbane, Australia
Relevant/notrelevant, a few weeks ago some exploits came out to get the Nintendo Switch booting into recovery mode (runs Tegra X1) so since then people have gotten linux booting off it.

Around then is when I bought one, because finally a decent solid little linux tablet.

Also just saw this when I was looking at ways to get hildon UI on debian.

Looking forward to the aarch64 release to try out on the Switch
  • Translink Brisbane script (time to bus/train)
  • Commbank client (check balance)
  • Uber (basic client, request ride, etc)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to azkay For This Useful Post:
There has been some talk of an AArch64 port of Maemo Leste. We'll need to ensure all of the packages build for this architecture. AArch64 CPUs should be backward compatible with ARMv7 so feel free to give that a try in the meantime.

In semi-related news, the first release candidate for Devuan Ascii has been released and integrates some of device porting work done for Maemo Leste. Builds are available for the N900, N950, N9, Droid 4 and more.

Devuan for N950 and N9.

wpa_supplicant plugin for icd2 is getting there, hope to have it packaged by the end of the weekend:

The Following 27 Users Say Thank You to Wizzup_ For This Useful Post:
Has the work on this taught you enough about integrating plugins to be able to resolve some of the other issues faced in Fremantle or to integrate other solutions? Thinking like Bluetooth networking without relying on scripts or possibly integrating Intel's IWD should wpa_supplicant actually be superceded/replaced.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Android_808 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Android_808 View Post
Has the work on this taught you enough about integrating plugins to be able to resolve some of the other issues faced in Fremantle or to integrate other solutions? Thinking like Bluetooth networking without relying on scripts or possibly integrating Intel's IWD should wpa_supplicant actually be superceded/replaced.
I think so, yes - but there is more to think about.

Specifically on bluetooth, I know very little about it. But I can imagine we should be able to make an icd2 plugin for this. It will be some work, but I can't imagine why it should not work.

What I've also been trying to think about is to have vpn (openvpn, wireguard) and/or Tor support more properly integrated. I want to continue with that after the plugin and some other (usb, droid4 and tablet) bits.

Regarding IWD, I'm personally unimpressed with the design choices they made and see no reason to switch, so for now I don't think it makes sense to work on this. wpa_supplicant just works, can do many of the bits as non-root user, and the dbus api is now almost implemented by me. Implementing another dbus api is not exactly exciting me right now.

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Wizzup_ For This Useful Post:
bluetooth afaik doesnt work at the moment in recent kernels.
(Brocken since 4.13? but it never worked for me on 4.x, I tried a few of the reichel 4.12 kernels. (similiar https://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-.../msg71173.html and https://lkml.org/lkml/2017/10/6/54)

4.16.3 can pair but nothing more.

serdev, device tree and powermanagment still needs work.

(edit added first url and finally second url)

Last edited by pythoneye2; 2018-06-08 at 21:28.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to pythoneye2 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Wizzup_ View Post
Regarding IWD, I'm personally unimpressed with the design choices they made and see no reason to switch, so for now I don't think it makes sense to work on this. wpa_supplicant just works, can do many of the bits as non-root user, and the dbus api is now almost implemented by me. Implementing another dbus api is not exactly exciting me right now.
I just used IWD as an example. I can't see it replacing wpa_supplicant for quite some time if at all. I do like the idea of OpenVPN/Wireguard integration here.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Android_808 For This Useful Post:

Tags
leste, maemo 7