Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by don_falcone View Post
Given that Adobe only recently managed to deliver Flash on x64 platforms (I will NOT call the "Square" lab test version a release) with v11, and this is what basically held x64 browser builds especially on Windows back all those years, it should die nevertheless. On Linux you had at least some basic alternatives, but on Windows you were phucked big time by Adobe.
You seriously should have seen the **** storm it was on OS X. Windows users were luckier than OS X users.

But then again, that's what prompted Steve Jobs to action...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 411 | Thanked: 195 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
It even fails as a Flash replacement. HTML5 video gracefully fails to Flash. It doesn't do queries to build navigation. Sites that have moved to HTML5 + Audio are exposing their files due to lack of security - Pandora HTML5 version exposes the *.m4a files for easy download.

Not all browsers support Canvas - blame the software engineers for that and it's not exactly fully supported in all areas quite yet. I deploy Flash, it'll work everywhere.
i've been developing using flash for about 5 years now, initially just doing simple timeline based stuff, then getting deriously into it the past couple of years initially using papervision to handle 3D stuff, and then recently migrating over to away3D to take advantage of stage3D/molehill.. The anti flash backlash, which i mainly blame Apple for is ridiculous, buuut, i think once say the demo for Halo 5 or whatever comes out, and you can play level in a browser window, people on iPads, and with explorer are going to say 'hey, why can't I just go there and play that?'

The Following User Says Thank You to Tedri Mark For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Radu View Post
Well, HTML5 is a technology. It has some purposes, of course, such as... WEB. Like a Flash replacement.
But for desktop, it's like trying to hammer nails with a microscope (instead of a hammer). I can't understand what the use for that is.
yeah, you can only do useless flashing ads with html5...

http://www.chromeexperiments.com/detail/julia-map/
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

Last edited by ossipena; 2011-09-29 at 05:30. Reason: better link

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ossipena For This Useful Post:
Posts: 182 | Thanked: 337 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Finland
Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
I have been telling everyone long enough now about meego being useless and everyone calls me stupid because of my opinions.

You die hards all dreaming of FOSS have to see something dead and buried before you believe????.

Maemo is dead and now meego is dead so just what are you all going to go too next i wonder.
Don't worry, Meltemi (linux based) will come to low-end phones! Maemo/meego will be reused there!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Metsämies For This Useful Post:
Posts: 129 | Thanked: 321 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Finland (Turku)
Originally Posted by Metsämies View Post
Don't worry, Meltemi (linux based) will come to low-end phones! Maemo/meego will be reused there!
Yep. Qt next billion, 1 GHz touchscreen only devices, disruptive technology and Swipe. And they already have it all, so it's just a question of timing and rebranding. It might be possible, that we are actually seeing a Linux based Nokia OS outselling Windows Phones 10 to 1 in the future.

Edit: Meltemi is in today's headlines in Finland. Source (in Finnish): http://www.arvopaperi.fi/uutisarkist...reihin/a694515

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Stonik For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Originally Posted by Stonik View Post
Yep. Qt next billion, 1 GHz touchscreen only devices, disruptive technology and Swipe. And they already have it all, so it's just a question of timing and rebranding. It might be possible, that we are actually seeing a Linux based Nokia OS outselling Windows Phones 10 to 1 in the future.

Edit: Meltemi is in today's headlines in Finland. Source (in Finnish): http://www.arvopaperi.fi/uutisarkist...reihin/a694515
Google Translation into English (well, sort of ):

Again, the new Nokia rumor: developed software halpaluureihin

Nokia is also currently developing a new operating system with low-cost handsets, says the Wall Street Journal, referring to their sources anonymous.

WSJ: According to a new Linux-based platform for the development phase is called the Meltemi.

Project is led by the magazine according to Nokia's Executive Board of the Mary McDowell.

Meltemi, the term appeared in the Nokia speeches for the first time in the spring, when the Journal-Register spotted the mysterious project of Nokia internal memoranda.

Nokia declined to comment on the latest markkinahuhua Wall Street Journal. Recently, Nokia has revolved around rumors, including the bid.

high-end Windows

High-end phones, Nokia has announced in the future to use Microsoft's Windows Mobile operating system. This week, the company started N9 smartphone. The phone is available for Nokia and Intel's joint project, the result MeeGo platform. However, Nokia has announced that continue MeeGo development.

Nokia is rapidly losing its market position even before the strong low-cost phone market.
Interesting that "meltemi" is yet another wind, like all the Maemo names (Chinook, Diablo, Harmattan, etc.)

(Of course, it figures that Nokia would select a Greek wind at this time. I guess their other choices were Irish and Portuguese winds. )

The Following User Says Thank You to GeraldKo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by GeraldKo View Post
Interesting that "meltemi" is yet another wind, like all the Maemo names (Chinook, Diablo, Harmattan, etc.)

(Of course, it figures that Nokia would select a Greek wind at this time. I guess their other choices were Irish and Portuguese winds. )
Ugh.. what a terrible name. This one conjures up the image of a CPU crying out as it melts. Can't they choose a decent name, for once?
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ossipena View Post
yeah, you can only do useless flashing ads with html5...

http://www.chromeexperiments.com/detail/julia-map/
This is EXACTLY my point. Fractint did that 10 times faster on a 386.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Radu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Ugh.. what a terrible name. This one conjures up the image of a CPU crying out as it melts. Can't they choose a decent name, for once?
It's just their internal project name, isn't it?

Perhaps it conjures up powerful images of *****storms for finns.
I'm all for that.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following User Says Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Radu View Post
This is EXACTLY my point. Fractint did that 10 times faster on a 386.
now you should search a mobile application that has only similar functions (iteration calculation + drawing results).

e: and naturally calculations are really intense.
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

Tags
goodbye nokia, html != c/c++, meego is dead