Active Topics

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
http://www.buy.com/prod/viewsonic-g-...219101228.html

froyo
512 mb ram
g sensor
no gps

Thinking to get one. Main purpose is to watch tv throughout the world, and occasional surfing

good experience, bad experience, please dont, whatnots; greatly appreciated

bun

Last edited by bunanson; 2011-06-23 at 00:07.

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
You want advice? OK: STOP WATCHING TV!

Just kidding. I dropped in to see what the ol' Maemsters have to say about the N9, and, to my delight, there you were.

As someone who, apart from movies, watches no television other than an occasional show of Jeopardy, I gotta ask: what the heck do you find to watch?

[Tapped out on my trusty N800, while, of course, lying in bed on my back]

I like to travel. I like to watch things around the world. But we all know, that is prohibitive. First, you dont have that much money. Second, you dont have that much vacation time. Third, you dont know how to accomplish that. So, I resort to watching tv all over the world, to enjoy their cultures, to enjoy their language, to enjoy what other earthlings are doing.

The VirginMobile cellphone, LG optimus V, can do ALL of the above, anywhere. Problem, a 3.2" screen.

So I want something like the above, but with bigger screen, and HDMI output to my projector.

I guess my goal is a lot more straight forward than most geeks

What the hack I got to watch, natures, national geographics, Discovery, Animal Planet, E!Online (mainly jen aniston and bradjoly, its fun and other pretty girls), msnbc gossips, TV (regular tv), PhoenixTV (TV china) CCTV (TV China),

Skype for talking without paying

Realtor.com, look for house

HomeDepot to buy things to fix my old house

Walmart to buy grocery/food

and most of all, turn by turn Google navigator. The only gripe I have is not enough driving when going to work, my driving time is only 10 min. with the google navigation, I wish I have like 20 - 30 min to drive to work

Is that enough to justify to buy a dumb tablet for fun?

bun

Last edited by bunanson; 2011-06-23 at 00:53.

Posts: 93 | Thanked: 30 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Malaysia
Get it. Froyo sucks balls big time, but xda developers has many roms for it, even honeycomb alpha. viewsonic is pretty mum on honeycomb on the gtablet though. battery life is great, lasts about 6-8 hours full usage. size is a bit prohibitive becuase it's big! screen viewing angles suck bigtime, but not a major problem if single user. Now if only someone would get meego netbook or tablet ui running on the gtablet and viewpad 10s, life would be beautiful.
Hope that helps.

The Following User Says Thank You to joelsk For This Useful Post:
@joelsk: Sounds like a recommendation. Thanks. Without gps and 3G cellphone, it lost a lot of fun. I guess BT GPS is an option. Hope it has BT.

bun

Posts: 93 | Thanked: 30 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Malaysia
It has bt. the size prohibits usage outside the home so gps isn't really a problem. If 3g is a deal breaker, thenm dun get it. I've been using the 10s (same as gtablet specs) for a few months now, other than a serious dislike of froyo, i don't have any problems.

The Following User Says Thank You to joelsk For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by bunanson View Post
@joelsk: Sounds like a recommendation. Thanks. Without gps and 3G cellphone, it lost a lot of fun. I guess BT GPS is an option. Hope it has BT.

bun

The LCD Display really bad big time. So if you are thinking to put it in somewhere where u can watch video or using it as an e-reader think again .

I would suggest spend a little bit extra to get a better one.

Go to a shop where u can at least try it. Really the LCD display will annoy you.

Even I have gotten used to it, but well, sometimes still wondering why dont I spend extra to get the Asus /Acer (forgot which one is cheaper).

The Following User Says Thank You to tirtawn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,425 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Hong Kong
It can't connect to ad hoc wifi and has no bluetooth-pan profile. Therefore if you wanna tether to your mobile phone for internet connection you might have to struggle a bit, unless you could find an app I don't know which could solve the problem.

The Following User Says Thank You to 9000 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by 9000 View Post
It can't connect to ad hoc wifi and has no bluetooth-pan profile. Therefore if you wanna tether to your mobile phone for internet connection you might have to struggle a bit, unless you could find an app I don't know which could solve the problem.
Hotspot will take care of it. Wifi hotspot, my LG Optimus V can provide that.

I found another one, and I think I may like this one better, http://www.buy.com/prod/viewsonic-vp...218018747.html

cnet review:http://reviews.cnet.com/tablets/view...34165135.html; and it takes tmobile sim card too.

it is 3G ready w integrated gps and smaller. What do you all think? I think this is what I am after.

bun

Last edited by bunanson; 2011-06-23 at 02:41.

Originally Posted by tirtawn View Post
...Really the LCD display will annoy you....
What is a LCD display? Is the N900 display is a LCD display?
TIA,

bun

Tags
tablet 3g gps