Ok so I've disabled the Lifeguard mode and the device is still randomly locking up...I'm going to set it back to normal and return it to the store tomorrow.

This really sucks, the little I've used the device I love it. Any of you think getting it replaced would resolve the issue?

Thanks for all the help, this is probably one of the fastest and most helpful communities online...

-dustin

Is the 2007 Edition of the OS stable is that the version I should be using?

The filename is RX-34_2007SE_3.2007.10-7_PR_COMBINED_MR0_ARM

-dustin

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by fadeddata View Post
This really sucks, the little I've used the device I love it. Any of you think getting it replaced would resolve the issue?
Should do, the problem with your current device does sound unusual and is hopefully a one-off.

Is the 2007 Edition of the OS stable is that the version I should be using?

The filename is RX-34_2007SE_3.2007.10-7_PR_COMBINED_MR0_ARM

-dustin
Yes, that is the latest version of OS 2007. It's commonly referred to as 3.2007.10-7 round here (this number is also shown in Control Panel->About), which - if you hadn't guessed - stands for 3rd released firmware and a build date of the 10th week in 2007 (mid-March), 7th attempt that week.

The original OS 2007 firmware that shipped with devices is 2.2006.51-7 while some early units had 2.2006.51-6.

I'm pretty sure you'll fair better with a replacement unit.

Last edited by Milhouse; 2007-04-23 at 02:40.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Thanks for the advice, but this seems like a real issue with the device. The above recommendation basically disables a watch for system faults (such as service crashes due to lack of memory) that restart the machine. This reeks of bad design. The watchdog is only supposed to kick in when something bad happens, not when I'm switching from UK to US keyboard styles on initial setup. Is this common? In the threads on Maemo it looks like the guy had went through two units and both had this problem...

Any thoughts?
-dustin
I've NEVER seen one crash when changing regional settings, regardless of OS version. I'm suspecting a faulty device. Have it replaced.

Ok, I've got the new one in hand, it is currently charging. I'll keep you guys updated on the progress.

-dustin

Posts: 355 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Helsinki, Finland
Ok, I've got the new one in hand, it is currently charging. I'll keep you guys updated on the progress.

-dustin
Good deal.

As long as you have that warranty, always use it. Don't bother to try and fix it yourself unless you are so inclined and have the time and patience.

There's no harm in asking (or searching) for a fix here - some problems are actually quite easy to fix (though obviously not in this case) and certainly a lot less hassle than a trip back to the store...

The new unit is working great. Hasn't crashed once. I'm currently typing this on it! I really doubt anything could have been done to salvage the previous unit. Thanks for all the help...