Active Topics

Posts: 9 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Stuttgart, Germany
Originally Posted by jolouis View Post
It's a question of portability VS costs really. The N800 solution is a little bit cleaner in that you don't need the mini-micro adaptor, just the OTG and the network adaptor; the N810 needs the extra bit, but still overall size for all three components if you're using a Linksys USB100M is tiny... I mean, all fits in your closed hand sort of tiny. You can get travel routers that are fairly small, but A) they definitely cost more and B) they're larger to carry around. You have to remember even if a travel router itself is fairly small, you still need to bring along the AC adaptor for it, which adds to your overall carrying size.

Now it goes both ways; the advantage to the travel router is that you get to use your tablet wirelessly walking around the room/etc, VS having to leave it plugged in somewhere, so that's the plus side of that one.

In any event, if you want to use the Wired USB option, you need to install the USB LAN deb file; see the Wiki Entry here:
http://www.internettablettalk.com/wi...de_and_OS_2008

This works with all versions of OS2008 including the latest Diablo.

Thanks,
-Rob
Finally I could successfully connect the N810 "wired" to the Internet.
Thanks to all of you who helped me especially jolouis with the useful link.
I connected a "Motorola Micro USB to mini USB B adapter" to the "N800 USB 360 OTG adapter" then by USB cable to the inlet of a "powered USB Hub" and plug into one of the hub ports the "Linksys Etherfast 10/100 USB network adapter" and and the other end to the RJ45 cable coming from my router.
The clou was to have a powered USB hub in between to supply the Ethernet 10/100, which needs more power than an N810 can supply.

Regards

Posts: 131 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Spain
are the following cheap chipsets supported?

Fast-Ethernet Phy (MosChip MCS7830)
DAVICOM Semiconductor, DM9601 USB To Fast Ethernet Adapter
ADM8515

any list of usb to ethernet supported chipsets?
i read about realtek is well supported, which more?

Last edited by daperezg; 2009-12-11 at 23:00.

The Linksys USB100M apparently works, I think there's a 200M that should work too. I'm also almost certain that the Apple USB Ethernet dongle should work also (_possibly_ needing someone to compile the driver and make a module), it works perfectly not only on x86 but also on Beagleboard (ARM CPU). I've got one so I may try it one day on my N800. The nice thing about the Apple USB Ethernet dongle is that it's so easy to get hold of, they tend to have them in stock in any Apple shop because apparently there's a Macbook out there which doesn't have built-in Ethernet.