Active Topics

Posts: 36 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ London
Originally Posted by cm6 View Post
Alright, yesterday I got a Lumia 800 for trial, which meant I had to compare it with my 4-month-old N9. So I removed the rubber cover & I found this.

The matte layer has indeed worn off. How? It's my own fault because I hadn't removed the cover since a few months and it definitely hasn't coped well with the sweat and heat while inside my pocket (I live in a country with a very warm weather).

Clearly, Nokia haven't tested it under this extreme weather condition.
My n9's back used to look the same every time I took it out of the case, but that would just wipe off easily. I don't use the case anymore, but it still gets like that sometimes when my hands a greasy, but it's still easy to wipe it off.

The Following User Says Thank You to Audrius For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by willywonka View Post
i am quite disappointed/underwhelmed after just owning the phone for a few days because there seems to be so many problems with it.

my phone is really laggy too. especially in the first few hours of using the phone after buying it.

so disappointing... i had high hopes.
IME no matter what phone you're using, no matter the OS, no matter the forum...
The vast majority of chatter will be people having problems or not happy with some aspect.
It's just the way people operate.....

However, it is true that there's quite a few bugs that are yet to be resolved, or have only just cropped-up thanks to 1.2.
Now that Nokia's winding down the amount of features they're adding, they can focus mainly on getting bugs squished.
Unfortunately they can't treat both as equally important anymore, as the team has shrunk hugely since this time last yr.

Also that lag is normal, once clean-up & re-indexing is done it'll disappear...
Generally it's only a few minutes following the first boot-up....
But it can vary hugely depending on the size of your media library, & other personal data.

Last edited by jalyst; 2012-03-11 at 22:23. Reason: typo

Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
Just a few examples I could quickly dig up (coulda sworn there was some others, deleted?)
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...2&postcount=19
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...0&postcount=38
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...8&postcount=44
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...6&postcount=81

You certainly sounded pretty righteous that those with issues had fakes.
To the point where peeps were telling you to STFU already.
Now we know the issue most of them were having with the body, was due to this clear coat.

Agreed.

Really
Jalyst, what are the facts:

Fact 1. Not a single peeling issue has been reported from N9 that are "made in Finland".
Fact 2. My N9 is 5 months old and made in Finland. No peeling of any kind (touch wood)
Fact 3. The N9 has a clear coat of hardened polycarbonate on top of the main polycarbonate. It is NOT painted.

I still believe that peeling issues are mostly related to fake units. Fake in the sense that bad batches has entered the market through dubious resellers and outlets. But also fake in the sense that cheap plastic imitations of the housing are floating around.

The peeling clearly is a production error (on those that are genuine Nokia). But IMO Nokia has done a piss poor design job. They should not have coated them in the first place. There is no need for this coating other than visual appearance. The white ones may in fact need it, or else it wouldn't stay white for all that long. The whole story is just sad, because what could and should have been real cool, has ended up being a joke.

The Following User Says Thank You to specc For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by specc View Post
Fact 1. Not a single peeling issue has been reported from N9 that are "made in Finland".
My Dubai sourced Nokia N9 was made in Finland. It has one chip on the USB drive - peeling like the OP in just one area so far.

Meanwhile, the Australian N9 that I own, made in China, has no issues.

I'd check those "facts" before stating them as such.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
OT: Please don't include high-resolution images in quotes. This thread has crippled microb on my N900 a couple of times.

Many thanks.

My website

GitHub

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
My Dubai sourced Nokia N9 was made in Finland. It has one chip on the USB drive - peeling like the OP in just one area so far.

Meanwhile, the Australian N9 that I own, made in China, has no issues.

I'd check those "facts" before stating them as such.
What is the "USB drive" ? The USB latch is made of steel. Any chipping or peeling there does not count.

I think the OP should change the title to the more appropriate: You know you got a fake when it starts chipping away at edges.

Posts: 417 | Thanked: 182 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ At your mom's house, with my feet up!
What is the "USB drive" ? The USB latch is made of steel. Any chipping or peeling there does not count.

I think the OP should change the title to the more appropriate: You know you got a fake when it starts chipping away at edges.
the OP should change the thread title to "New douchebag community members who are rude to long time members".

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to optimistprime For This Useful Post:
USB drive = USB latch. Don't be so obtuse that you feign ignorance over a quickly mistated but easily understood statement.

So since we're talking semantics and correction here; my USB latch on my Finnish built Nokia N9 that I purchased via Axiom Telecom in Dubai has a chipped place on the Nokia USB Latch that comes on top of the Nokia N9 MeeGo based phone.

Now, are we clear now? This emulates the OP in his very first picture.

I think the OP should do nothing of the sort.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
USB drive = USB latch. Don't be so obtuse that you feign ignorance over a quickly mistated but easily understood statement.

So since we're talking semantics and correction here; my USB latch on my Finnish built Nokia N9 that I purchased via Axiom Telecom in Dubai has a chipped place on the Nokia USB Latch that comes on top of the Nokia N9 MeeGo based phone.

Now, are we clear now? This emulates the OP in his very first picture.

I think the OP should do nothing of the sort.
I guess we are clear - but, the USB latch is made of steel. It is irrelevant regarding the discussion about peeling of the polycarbonate housing. So my fact is still a fact. To date - no reports of peeling Finnish made N9s (of the polycarbonate housing).

We are left with the cold truth, you may hate it, but the truth is the truth.

Non Finnish made N9s have been reported peeling.
No Finnish made N9s has ever been reported peeling.

This makes me happy, cause I got the real thing. High quality and high resale value

What part of "I have a Finnish N9 that's peeling" do you have a problem reading?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post: