Poll: Will you buy the Nokia N900?
Poll Options
Will you buy the Nokia N900?

Originally Posted by remister View Post
I might sell my G1 if I get the N900, so if you want mines we can make a deal or something.
Me to - want a cheap g1?

Also putting Android on the n900 would be like putting DOS on a windows 7 box. Why would you replace what is essentially a full Linux install with one that is VERY much limited.
Add to that the fact that android does everything through a JVM (albeit a well tweaked one).
Trust me as a DEV I cannot get off the android platform quick enough. Give me my C any day of the week. Sure it might not be as easy to code in as Java (arguably) but thats why wussies dont use it

Last edited by Bratag; 2009-09-14 at 14:48.

Posts: 670 | Thanked: 747 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Kansas City, Missouri, USA
Originally Posted by remister View Post
Crashdamage, I thought I knew you from somewhere! Your from the Android community. Well anyways, I know maemo is a really good OS by the looks of it, but does anyone know if we could, per se put an Android OS on there, since they both based on Linux?
You've outed me. Yes, I'm an Android refugee-to-be.

Not sure why you'd want to replace Maemo with Android. Maemo looks to be what I always wished Android was. I mean, Android's good, but...anyway, loading Android on any device not designed for it would be a LOT of work. The kernel has to be compiled for the processor used, the correct drivers for all the hardware etc etc. IOW, not practicle unless you're a good programmer.

Not a Android or Linux-specific problem though. These things must be addressed when loading any OS on any hardware.

Bratag, you're the dev of some Android apps. Damn I see a lot of android people coming to play hard ball with the n900. At least I know that I will have a device that not all teeny poppers will have, until it gets subdisized; if it does.

Posts: 337 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ München, DE
Originally Posted by slha89 View Post
If I can't get N900 cheaper than 699,-, I'll wait for "N910" to have SDXC card support and Maemo 6.
I
After the SDXC issue has been explained by the General: Why don't you buy it for EUR 599,- then if EUR 699,- is too expensive for you?

Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
You can switch cards at will. Sidekick and G1 plans are for specific devices, but TMo is moving away from that model. Be aware that before, the cheaper data plan was non3G. I'm not sure about now, but I had been told a year ago that that plan was for non smartphones with 3G. They can tell if you have one of those devices because there aren't many, and they're branded, so probably have some sort of user agent to know which device it is.

To make things easy, just spend the extra $5 and cya. The service is phenomenal in my area.

Posts: 459 | Thanked: 669 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ The DMV
Originally Posted by christexaport View Post
You can switch cards at will. Sidekick and G1 plans are for specific devices, but TMo is moving away from that model. Be aware that before, the cheaper data plan was non3G. I'm not sure about now, but I had been told a year ago that that plan was for non smartphones with 3G. They can tell if you have one of those devices because there aren't many, and they're branded, so probably have some sort of user agent to know which device it is.

To make things easy, just spend the extra $5 and cya. The service is phenomenal in my area.
3G access is not contingent on the cost of your plan. Many T-mobile users with unbranded or debranded phones with the AWS 1700 band have successfully accessed 3G data speeds even with the cheaper data plans ($5.99 and $9.99).

But with that being said, I agree that to be on the safe side, if you want things to "just work" with a minimum of hacking, and if you want to observe T-mobile's TOS, you really should be paying for the smartphone plan if you intend to use cellular data with your N900.

Also, not having the "officially sanctioned" plan becomes a nuisance if T-mobile decides to subsidize it. For some reason, T-mobile either can't track the IMEI code or just doesn't care about your fancy unlocked smartphone. But, as some unlocked Android phone users have found, the gravy train ends once T-mobile decides to add your phone to their lineup: suddenly, T-mo will let you know that your phone is identifiable to them, and they will shut your data off if they feel that you are not on the appropriate plan.

Originally Posted by Bratag View Post
Me to - want a cheap g1?

Also putting Android on the n900 would be like putting DOS on a windows 7 box. Why would you replace what is essentially a full Linux install with one that is VERY much limited.
Add to that the fact that android does everything through a JVM (albeit a well tweaked one).
Trust me as a DEV I cannot get off the android platform quick enough. Give me my C any day of the week. Sure it might not be as easy to code in as Java (arguably) but thats why wussies dont use it
Haha, because Android is going to be a popular platform that's more accessible due to the plethora of devices that will be out for it (already many manufacturers have released or are planning on releasing a phone with Android). Thus they would eventually have the dominant marketshare as phones are gradually replaced with Android based phones =P. By having a VM of Android that gives us the best of both worlds. The openness of Maemo and the freedom to do whatever we want, and Android apps.

Heck if we could have an iPhone emulation I'd take that too. =P

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

The Following User Says Thank You to Laughing Man For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
Haha, because Android is going to be a popular platform that's more accessible due to the plethora of devices that will be out for it (already many manufacturers have released or are planning on releasing a phone with Android). Thus they would eventually have the dominant marketshare as phones are gradually replaced with Android based phones =P. By having a VM of Android that gives us the best of both worlds. The openness of Maemo and the freedom to do whatever we want, and Android apps.

Heck if we could have an iPhone emulation I'd take that too. =P
Yep nothing like adding more and more layers between the software and the hardware. As a dev of 6+ apps for the platform I can tell you that in addition to the HUGE holes in the API (no accelerated 2d graphics etc), is the fact that the JVM doesnt do data manipulation well. I have several graphics filters - all of which are pixel based and they run like crap because the Java simply isnt up to the job.

But good luck with android. I will still be coding for it purely to keep my hand in all areas.

Posts: 108 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ France
Originally Posted by flareup View Post
no buy.

i have a phone

i want a new (up to date) internet tablet.
Same feeling. Loved my N800. Looking for another MID.

Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
Why not say screw Android as is and port Qt to Android? Is this something Nokia would have to do, or can the community do it on its own?

Tags
interest, n900, poll