My desktop is getting reset to the default settings, reloads contacts when I had the Personal Menu and the status bar icons return to default. I can't pinpoint when or what is causing it. Sometimes I will just pick up the tablet after it has been sitting idle it will be reset, sometimes after using a program in full screen it is set back to normal.

The control panel still has the settings set as I set them, but the desktop does not reflect the settings. I end up rebooting the tablet to get back to my settings.

Does any one know where I can look to get an idea of what's causing the problem? Is there a log I can look at?

The Following User Says Thank You to XL1200c For This Useful Post:
The IP display tool use to use my N800 to do this.

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
It is generally applet (sidebar, topbar or desktop) that can crash, causing the entire desktop to go down.

Posts: 276 | Thanked: 74 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Missouri, USA
I think it's OMWeather that gets me sometimes. But only if I'm enabling and disabling alot of applets at once.

Would I need to just disable an app or would I need to uninstall it?

Is there a log file I can look at to pinpoint the probmem? Or do I need to just remove apps unitl it stops, which will be painful.

Similar thing just started happening to me recently, and I was just visiting to post for help myself over in the troubleshooting section. On my OS2008 N800, all my desktop applets periodically turn off completely, and I simultaneously lose the organization of the launcher panel--it reverts to the default icon order. I would describe it as losing the persistence of several desktop settings (launcher panel and desktop applets.) I have not yet figured out if it correlates to any action in particular.

I think the problem started a few days ago when I updated a whole host of software, after enabling the "Temporary" repositories posted here back in December to fix a typographical error in one of the repositories. Updated software included Modest (probably NOT from the temp. repository), OpenSSH, and Maemo Mapper. XL1200c: have you recently updated or installed any of these?

Log file to search, anyone? TIA.

Last edited by tuco penguin; 2008-03-21 at 17:38.

The Following User Says Thank You to tuco penguin For This Useful Post:
I updated Modest and Maemo Mapper. I have not used Maemo Mapper since the upgrade and I completly colse Modest, I don't think it's running in the background.

Modest has never worked well for me, so I just uninstalled it and disabled OMWeather desktop applet. I'll see if that makes any difference and see if I can't narrow the problem down.

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
I don't have Modest. I have Maemo Mapper and I haven't noticed desktop resets. If you look in screenshots thread, you know how much applets I use..

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by XL1200c View Post
Would I need to just disable an app or would I need to uninstall it?

Is there a log file I can look at to pinpoint the probmem? Or do I need to just remove apps unitl it stops, which will be painful.
When I had similar problems with applets in OS2007, the maemo developers recommended I disable all third party applets. In their experience, it's usually third party applets that crash the desktop. If such action fixes the problem for you, you could then re-enable one applet at a time until the crashing presents itself again.

Uninstalling the applets is not necessary. You need only disable them.

If you can identify the problem applet, then you may be able to help its developer by creating a directory named "core-dumps" in the root directory of the memory card you have in your tablet's external slot. If that directory exists, your tablet will, well, dump core files there. Do note that you may need to clean the directory out periodically.

The maemo developers won't be interested in your core files unless you're able to establish that it's one of their applets that's causing the problem. If it is though, create a bug report in maemo bugzilla. I expect they'll be eager to investigate and fix the issue.

The Following User Says Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post: