Active Topics

Currently the facebook app/Widget in the N900 is to basic. Just providing a small update list and tap to enter website, it is not Dynamic.

What a proper facebook Widget should have?

1. Tap to Instant share news feed or what you call it "What's on your mind"

2. Tap and comment directly from the widget it self. Eg, Message from a friend. Just tap your friends name and comment from the widget it self with out logging into the website.

3. Read notifications from desktop with out logging into website.

4. add User tagging in images when posting on facebook. Just like the one in BB.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nyx For This Useful Post:
I think we all know that. Unfortunately no one seems to interested in creating a fully functional app although I hear facebrick now has a proper widget but it is not working at the moment or something.

People on this site seem to fall into two categories:

1. Those who see website apps as an Apple thing and that you should just use the microb browser to log in to facebook and do what you want to do.

2. People who feel that making things more convenient is not an evil thing which Apple have created and it would be very nice to be able to view photos, read and reply messages, check updates, etc without the hassle of having to log on and struggle through a web page on a <4 inch screen.

I fall very very strongly into the second category. My wife visits facebook everyday on her BB and views photos, etc even though BB has the worst web browsing experience but me with my N900 and better screen can't use facebook on it because it is just such a hassle without an app.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to etuoyo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 31 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Finland / UK
I originally thought that a facebook app would be the best way to use facebook on a mobile. But since I found the facebook touch site, I am more than happy to use it in microb.
Try it out at: touch.facebook.com

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to michou For This Useful Post:
Posts: 61 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Dallas, Texas
I fall into that first category. I don't see why a few people have difficulty with the website. Works great for me, especially with the stylus.

The Following User Says Thank You to Taleydra For This Useful Post:
My point being is that the app should have the versatility to be used on the Go with out being having to log into the website. It also has to be so Dynamic that it literally Trashes all other facebook apps in existence.

Look at it this way, Not all countries have good 3G or HSDPA broadband, more over the fact that all those packages are insanely expensive and will kill you if you do not have the right data plan for your phone (happened to me before). By having a widget such widget will be:
1.Alot faster.
2.Cheaper definitely.
3. Easy to use on the go.

Originally Posted by michou View Post
Try it out at: touch.facebook.com
yeh i use that site to0, i have the FB widget on the screen jsut to see whats going.

+1 for a full fledged Facebook app!

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
it is all about compromises.

microb: data filtration is zero, usage isn't simple
microb with touch.facebook.com: data filtration is moderate, usage is simpler
standalone app: maximum data filtration (the app decides what is the most important thing for you, apple-style usage.

I choose always the first item from that list. yes, C5's facebook app is faster but you simply cannot access all the features no matter how you try.
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

The Following User Says Thank You to ossipena For This Useful Post:
The UI in my mind for this perfect facebook app is more or less like the facebook touch website just more dynamic and versitile. More over, since it's the Maemo 5 os on top of that it is 100% opensource, i dont see why it cant be done. Open source is only limited to the creaters imagination and programability.

Just hope the dudes in Maemo.org take this into onsideration before things get to out of date.

I actually started on a PyQt4 facebook app but have unfortunately not had any time to work on it. The plan was to have about as many features as Bloo on Android.. I currently have it showing feeds and friends but it's far from ready to be used - the feed doesn't align correctly and all the text is squished... plus has massive lag when trying to download everybody's little pictures..

But yeah... I started.. unfortunately it's fallen by the way-side.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

The Following User Says Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post: