Posts: 29 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ austria
hey,

I'm taking lots of pictures wherever I go. I used to edit, upload them to my own server in order to share it with my friends. I'm finally fed up with this solution as it is so time consuming. especially now, that I got the N900 and take more pics then ever before.
I therefore decided to use one of the available photo sharing/management platforms. however I don't have a clue which one to use: flickr, picasa, ovi,...? Sure, I can compare the features. Nevertheless maybe someone can give me some hints on what to use, because they have already used this or that, switched from service A to service B because of a certain bug.
furthermore, as I said I have already decided to use such a service. Anyway, I'm a little concerned regarding privacy. which service does actually give you the most control over how to share/protect your pictures? Is there a way to password-protect certain albums?

greetings,
jinx

I've been using Google's Picasa and recently its online counterpart Picasaweb for a while now and am happy with it, mainly because of the easy upload from within the application and the integrated albums listing so I know what I've uploaded.

It has permissions and licenses:

You can set an album completely private and have the system email the ones you want to give access to (they'll need a Google account to login to view it), or you can have it hidden and give the url to whoever you want, or finally you can leave it public and anyone can see it from your albums listing if they know your google username. You can also have an album private and only share specific pictures with specific people.

The licenses you set are displayed next to each photo, if you want. You can set Creative Commons licenses to dictate reuse of the photo.

The best way to try the privacy and security is to use 2 Google accounts from different browsers (say Firefox and Internet Explorer), and add and revoke rights (they call them share permissions).

Finally, you can easily upload from your N900 to Picasa (along with many others) by using an application called Pixelpipe. You'll find it on the Ovi store and it's quite flexible. It lets you upload photos to its service and based on the tags you set on the photo, route it to whichever service and album you have defined.

Posts: 81 | Thanked: 109 times | Joined on Apr 2009 @ Brasov/Cluj, Romania
Originally Posted by jinx View Post
hey,

I'm taking lots of pictures wherever I go. I used to edit, upload them to my own server in order to share it with my friends. I'm finally fed up with this solution as it is so time consuming. especially now, that I got the N900 and take more pics then ever before.
A plugin to upload files to custom locations ( ftp, ssh, etc.. ) will probably be available. http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...021#post459021

Posts: 3,203 | Thanked: 1,391 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Worthing, England
I use pixelpipe
upload to facebook, twitter, ftp and flickr - all work fine for me, but would like the ability to select where it goes at the time of upload (Or at least do it easier!)
----------- Are you on the N900 World Map? - http://pininthemap.com/maemo - masterpin: shotgun
----------- What apps do you want to see on the n900 or in MeeGo in the future? -

Have been using Flickr for a number of years and pleased with the service. You can set privacy down to individual pics. But you only have three options. Friends,Family,Public.

I tried Ovi a year or so ago, but could not move from Flickr because all my family are using Flickr as well. Tried using Picassa, but was not happy with the client integration on the PC where it really wants to be your photo manager as well and kept indexing everything on my hard drive. May have moved on in the last years though.

As usual YMMV. Register free accounts and try them all out.

Thanks for the hints and pointers. I guess I will try flickr as well as OVI for the beginning. I don't know if any of my friends is using of these services as they tend to keep everything on their own servers

What looks pretty interesting also are these sharing plugins as one could easily hack together a script to upload it to your own server and immediately import the pictures in gallery or whatever gallery software you use.

Posts: 44 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Leeuwarden, The Netherlands
I would recommend pixelpipe, using tags. There is also an app called petrovich i use for sharing.

Posts: 65 | Thanked: 29 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Phoenix, Cochin, Bad Durkheim
I would recommend Flickr. They have a nice community. If you interested in learning photography or just improving your skills. Flickr is the place to be.
If you just want to upload photos for your personal use I think picasa should do.
N900 would work better with flickr as opposed to picasa.

Originally Posted by amarjyoti View Post
N900 would work better with flickr as opposed to picasa.
And Google knows already too much about me Things have speeded up a lot recently, when it comes to storing your private files on whatever company's servers...

That's why I'd prefer to hack together my own solution and use my own server. Nevertheless: tried flickr and it works flawlessly

Posts: 45 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bulgaria
hi
I noticed that Pixelpipe upload to Facebook every single photo in different album, create new ones. thats awful