Posts: 228 | Thanked: 30 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Ontario & Iceland
Originally Posted by anidel View Post
I only care about soccer.
To stay on the matter, the weather suddenly changed to mostly sunny and I think I will go play soccer after all.
I only wish I could swap the long sleeves t-shirt I am wearing with a short one.
Ah yes, I love the futbol too but try that at -20C. Theoretically you could play soccer on a frozen lake but skating is much more fun when you can't wear shorts. I don't have to travel up the mountain for snow and ice, it comes to me whether I like it or not. I like both.
update: what was 32C on Monday turned to 22C and sunny yesterday and is now at 15C with a sunless and damp wind.

If you came here (this thread) to not think or speak about the cult of Apple, then why the heck did you even read my post

We can, and we are, talking about NITs on the ITT forums.
But then... why the existance of the "Competitors" section then ?
Because too often these are the posts that get the most traffic. Competitor forums are fine but when they are far busier than the business at hand then I have to wonder what this is really about. My NIT ego doesn't need so much iCrap to feel good about my purchase choice.

But hey, pancakes are competing well against waffles at my house.
Soccer competes against hockey in June but come November..........

20 pages and it just won't stop.....

Posts: 1,743 | Thanked: 1,231 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Twickenham, UK
It'll never stop.. as no one ever change his own mind based on other's assumptions/feelings
They just discuss trying to impose their own POV.
Me too.

On the other hand, I would never play soccer at -20C!
Not even at the lowest I get here (that's always above 0C).

And I do not need to feel good about my choice, I know what I want and I always get what's better for me.

And I do love either pancakes and waffles.

Re: The iPhone "thumbboard," I've used the NIT on-screen thumbboard, as well as the N810's thumbboard. Neither of them work as well *for me* as the iPhone. Part of that is layout, part of that is the quality of the tactile feedback from the N810's keys vs. that of the iPhone's visual feedback. This is, of course, entirely subjective. It's like claiming the superiority of QWERTY vs. Dvorak, or the IBM Model M over an ergonomic keyboard. At the end of the day, you go with whatever makes you comfortable.

I, for one, would LOVE to get some of the flexibility of the N810 into the iPhone, and most of the UI of the iPhone into the N810. (Form factor-wise, I'd like something with the footprint of the iPhone, though I can accept it being a smidge thicker if I get a GOOD hardware thumbboard out of it.)

Of course, these threads aren't entirely useless. Some of the points being made here should be looked at for guidance to improve the NIT line as a whole. Not everyone wants an added phone, but a faster, more responsive UI, greater UI consistency, and an easy way for developers to (optionally) profit from their projects are all things that Nokia can provide. The developer community, in turn, can provide the missing PIM applications, enterprise-grade syncing, etc.

Frankly, the n810 is an absurdly powerful piece of hardware that just isn't being leveraged properly. While I can claim that it "needs" a better keyboard, or a multi-touch display, or a fancy graphics chip, or even a 3G radio, none of these things would have as much of an impact on overall usability as a flood of applications and UI changes would.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Raptor For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Yep, the iPhone screen keyboard works much better than the NIT ones. I mean, it's not even a fair comparison judging by the amount of work and refinement that's apparent in their design...

- Fingertips vs nail tip: as a thumbboard native (ex treo), it's better than nail typing
- Magnify & slide to correct
- Type correction based on key positions
- Auto horiz\vert orientation (not all apps yet)

The problem with the competitor board is that more people want to use this forum to bash the competitors and 'defend' the NIT (who thinks Nokia needs freelance online defenders?) than to learn about the competitors to make the NIT a better device.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
The problem with the competitor board is that more people want to use this forum to bash the competitors and 'defend' the NIT (who thinks Nokia needs freelance online defenders?) than to learn about the competitors to make the NIT a better device.
An unfortunate attribute due to this being a minority attractor.

On the other hand, have you seen how many posts leak out of here and into the itT mainstream? Posts that tout competitors' products and bash the tablets?

Just a fact of (internet) "life".

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
Originally Posted by Raptor View Post
Re: The iPhone "thumbboard," I've used the NIT on-screen thumbboard, as well as the N810's thumbboard. Neither of them work as well *for me* as the iPhone. Part of that is layout, part of that is the quality of the tactile feedback from the N810's keys vs. that of the iPhone's visual feedback. This is, of course, entirely subjective. It's like claiming the superiority of QWERTY vs. Dvorak, or the IBM Model M over an ergonomic keyboard. At the end of the day, you go with whatever makes you comfortable.

I, for one, would LOVE to get some of the flexibility of the N810 into the iPhone, and most of the UI of the iPhone into the N810. (Form factor-wise, I'd like something with the footprint of the iPhone, though I can accept it being a smidge thicker if I get a GOOD hardware thumbboard out of it.)

Of course, these threads aren't entirely useless. Some of the points being made here should be looked at for guidance to improve the NIT line as a whole. Not everyone wants an added phone, but a faster, more responsive UI, greater UI consistency, and an easy way for developers to (optionally) profit from their projects are all things that Nokia can provide. The developer community, in turn, can provide the missing PIM applications, enterprise-grade syncing, etc.

Frankly, the n810 is an absurdly powerful piece of hardware that just isn't being leveraged properly. While I can claim that it "needs" a better keyboard, or a multi-touch display, or a fancy graphics chip, or even a 3G radio, none of these things would have as much of an impact on overall usability as a flood of applications and UI changes would.
I have to say that, with the exception of liking the iPhone keyboard more than the N810 keyboard, I agree with everything in that post (including the problems that the N810 keyboard does have).

:-)

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
On the other hand, have you seen how many posts leak out of here and into the itT mainstream? Posts that tout competitors' products and bash the tablets?
Well, yes! those are the trolls!
Consider this the zoo... wild animals in zoo captivity = good & proper place to be viewed and studied. Outside, they're a menace to society!

EDIT: Damn this dwarfish EEE keyboard. I had to edit this post 3 times to get it right.

Last edited by ysss; 2008-06-12 at 16:43.

The Following User Says Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
I was tempted to chime in on this topic but its the same stuff we talked about last time! You guys are very patient and enthusiastic in defending the honor of your chosen device!

I've been out in iPhone world and eagerly await the 3G model, but I still like to check in every now and then. I have high hopes for the next Nokia Tablet and ITOS. I imagine most of the video and usability issues will be alleviated by a more modern ARM cpu/gpu that can finally handle the higher resolution Nokia has had all along.

Apple is really blowing away the competition. Nokia cannot compete, at least with their ITOS brand of product.

Originally Posted by MstPrgmr View Post
Apple is really blowing away the competition. Nokia cannot compete, at least with their ITOS brand of product.
I say yes and no to this. Apple is blowing away the competition for the people that like to point at something and have it work but then its canned... no changes until apple or the developers change it. Apple is probably blowing away the windows smart phones with the iphone, however, the it, is a device that is a true moble computer not just a precan device with certain apps. If you dont like something on the it, then put on your hacking/programming hat and fix it. They are 2 different beast that overlap in certain areas. kind of compairing a pickup to a car... yes they both move, take gas excetera, but the pickup can carry more, the car is more comfortable.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to birneyw For This Useful Post: