I'm planning to clone my N810. But first i need some answers on a few questions.

1. What is better clone to external SD or internal. (i expect with external you can backup and maybe put it into another N810 ?)
2. Do i clone or can you get the same apps with debian Chroot? Which installs on a external sd card
3. Is cloning foul proof. I read the deb and it sound easy enough for me to understand (basic linux )
4. DO i first need to clear everthing on my Flash before doing a clone. I just installed every nice app. (ofc i want more in the future)

Posts: 425 | Thanked: 132 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ California
Hey ranph

1) I chose to clone to my internal SD so I could still swap out my external card for file transfers, switching between cards and so forth. The only advantage I could think of for cloning to the external SD is the amount of space. (internal 2gigs, external up to 8 gigs) But I personally would suggest internal

2) The debian chroot is a completely separate operating system that you can install to run alongside your normal operating system.

3) cloning with penguinbait's .deb is pretty safe. Nothing is ever a 100% guarantee, and there is a small chance that it will mess up your tablet, but for the most part, you just download the .deb and install in the application manager and you're good to go

4) No, you do not need to clear your flash. In fact, the new app you just installed will be copied over along with your operating system.

I hope this helps

Warning: dates on calendar are closer than they appear.

The Following User Says Thank You to josiahg777 For This Useful Post:
thnx ...will try it then

My current setup.. I cloned Diablo to Internal so that I had 2GB worth of space to store Diablo Apps on.. and I have Debian running on the external so it has 8GB of space to install apps on.

No reason you can't have both .
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
What does 2 or 8 GB matter if he's using internal flash of 256 MB, and an external SD card of 2 GB (default N810)?

IMO it seems best to run your OS, and use a Debian install on your external SD card. Run your preferred apps in the chroot, and export them to DISPLAY=:0

If you have only 2 GB external SD you'll have to limit the other files on the card. But that goes without saying. For this purpose a bigger (and/or faster) SD card might be preferable.

Tags
alternative, chroot