Posts: 151 | Thanked: 178 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ SF Bay Area
Originally Posted by bugelrex View Post
What are your honest opinions on the camera so far (I dont care about the OS)
From looking at photos from flickr
- bright light, sunny day photos are awesome. But other phones (iphone, SGIII) take quite acceptable photos in same conditions too
- wobbly jelly video when panning. nothing you can do
- the difference in quality is only really noticeableat low light/indoors? true
- zoom is awesome to have
- whats the shot to shot timing. ie you want to take continous shots of a toddler for example. 2 to 3 seconds each? NO burst mode?
Thanks!
It is *very* easy to take really good photos. My N9 takes acceptable photos - so long as you don't look too closely, zoom in very much. Even simple photos of whiteboards at work are clearer and sharper and you can zoom in closely to see all you need to with the 808 (in PureView mode - I don't bother taking a 38MP photo of a whiteboard )
Low light shots are very good. Shots with the xenon flash (bright!!!) are terrific.

The zoom is excellent - and lossless. Even with 8MP PureView (which is the default I've set) I get good after-shot zoom-in without messing up the image.

There's a burst mode - in fact it's always on. If you hold down the camera button it takes shot after shot after shot after... The timing is about one per second - the H/W is still processing the full sensor for every shot.

I've taken very little video (with any of my camera phones) so I don't have a useful opinion.

The Following User Says Thank You to kjmackey For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,161 | Thanked: 1,707 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Denmark
@kjmackey what's your take on the native browser, how is it performing in your opinion?

I've read and seen some pretty bad reviews of it. So are they true?

I've heard you can install opera mini and overcome this issue and have a good browser experience through that on the 808.

Regards Dousan...

My Søciety6:
http://society6.com/Dousan

Posts: 1,539 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ With my N9
Originally Posted by Dousan View Post
@kjmackey what's your take on the native browser, how is it performing in your opinion?

I've read and seen some pretty bad reviews of it. So are they true?

I've heard you can install opera mini and overcome this issue and have a good browser experience through that on the 808.

Regards Dousan...
The browser is horrible. I want to cry every time I use it.

I love the camera, it's so easy to take amazing photos, but the rest of the phone, coming from an N9, is like pulling teeth without novacane.

Painful and unwanted.

@everythingn9

Temporary Inception Fix

Times Banned from TMO: 4

The Following User Says Thank You to Arie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 151 | Thanked: 178 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ SF Bay Area
Originally Posted by Arie View Post
The browser is horrible. I want to cry every time I use it.

I love the camera, it's so easy to take amazing photos, but the rest of the phone, coming from an N9, is like pulling teeth without novacane.

Painful and unwanted.
Well, I mightn't go quite that far.

The native browser on the 808 is fast. The N9's makes a better use of the available screen. The difference in screen resolution is noticeable here. That said, the larger type on the 808 screen is a little easier on my (older) eyes.

Tight integration of multiple accounts on the N9 is hard to give up. Mail for Exchange, however, on the 808 synching Gmail, Contacts and Calendar with Google is painless. On the N9 I have that spread over three separate implementations - Gmail within mail, MfE for contacts and CalDAV for calendar. That last, however, does allow me to sync three different calendars.

MeeScan on the N9 works better than a couple of QR code readers I found for the 808.

The Twitter mobile page seems to work better on the 808 than the N9 - it's faster, which may be why.

I got away from the multiple home screens of my N900 when I went to the N9. I'm finding it annoying to have to dedicate 4 home screens to get to what the Notifications view on the N9 delivers. And delivers in a much cleaner and smoother (particularly now under PR1.3) way.

The fact that the app screen on the 808 shows 12 app as against 24 on the N9 means I have to scroll a lot more to get what I want. It's one of the clearest views of the importance of screen resolution.

I love ProfileMatic on the N9. I haven't tried Nokia Situations on the 808 as yet.

Nokia Sleeping Screen I remember from my E7 and it works fine as far as I can tell on Belle FP1.

I'd ripped my music to lossless FLAC for the N9. The 808 couldn't play them so I had to convert. It's OK. I'm not expecting music system quality out of my phone - I have full range electrostatic speakers at home for that.

Symbian isn't the dreck so many tech blogs would have anyone believe it to be. It works well on the 808 H/W. But, I got used to a much smoother and integrated experience with the N9 (and excellent integration with the N900.) I still miss the N900 tag cloud when sharing (particularly when I used PixelPipe) - even on the N9.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kjmackey For This Useful Post:
Thanks so much, mine arrives tommorow, swear I would never buy another Symbian phone but could not wait for this camera

Originally Posted by kjmackey View Post
It is *very* easy to take really good photos. My N9 takes acceptable photos - so long as you don't look too closely, zoom in very much. Even simple photos of whiteboards at work are clearer and sharper and you can zoom in closely to see all you need to with the 808 (in PureView mode - I don't bother taking a 38MP photo of a whiteboard )
Low light shots are very good. Shots with the xenon flash (bright!!!) are terrific.

The zoom is excellent - and lossless. Even with 8MP PureView (which is the default I've set) I get good after-shot zoom-in without messing up the image.

There's a burst mode - in fact it's always on. If you hold down the camera button it takes shot after shot after shot after... The timing is about one per second - the H/W is still processing the full sensor for every shot.

I've taken very little video (with any of my camera phones) so I don't have a useful opinion.

Well, I mightn't go quite that far.

The native browser on the 808 is fast. The N9's makes a better use of the available screen. The difference in screen resolution is noticeable here. That said, the larger type on the 808 screen is a little easier on my (older) eyes.
I agree with this, though my eyes are more accustomed to the N9 screen now

Tight integration of multiple accounts on the N9 is hard to give up. Mail for Exchange, however, on the 808 synching Gmail, Contacts and Calendar with Google is painless. On the N9 I have that spread over three separate implementations - Gmail within mail, MfE for contacts and CalDAV for calendar. That last, however, does allow me to sync three different calendars.
I have everything sync'd up via mfe for everything using gmail, no issues what-so-ever.

MeeScan on the N9 works better than a couple of QR code readers I found for the 808.
I agree with this.

The Twitter mobile page seems to work better on the 808 than the N9 - it's faster, which may be why.
I use qneptunea and tweetian, why use the twitter pages or stock twitter clients, which suck?

I got away from the multiple home screens of my N900 when I went to the N9. I'm finding it annoying to have to dedicate 4 home screens to get to what the Notifications view on the N9 delivers. And delivers in a much cleaner and smoother (particularly now under PR1.3) way.
Yes we agree on this. I have one homescreen on my 808.

The fact that the app screen on the 808 shows 12 app as against 24 on the N9 means I have to scroll a lot more to get what I want. It's one of the clearest views of the importance of screen resolution.
I am not a fan of that at all.

I love ProfileMatic on the N9. I haven't tried Nokia Situations on the 808 as yet.
I'm not a fan of Nokia situations, ProfileMatic does it sooooooooo much better.

Nokia Sleeping Screen I remember from my E7 and it works fine as far as I can tell on Belle FP1.
We have a low power screen on the N9, trumps the Nokia Sleeping Screen

I'd ripped my music to lossless FLAC for the N9. The 808 couldn't play them so I had to convert. It's OK. I'm not expecting music system quality out of my phone - I have full range electrostatic speakers at home for that.
I still prefer my N9 in that regard too.

Symbian isn't the dreck so many tech blogs would have anyone believe it to be. It works well on the 808 H/W. But, I got used to a much smoother and integrated experience with the N9 (and excellent integration with the N900.) I still miss the N900 tag cloud when sharing (particularly when I used PixelPipe) - even on the N9.
Symbian is ok at best. Still better than Android and iOS though, not better than Meego-Harmattan.

@everythingn9

Temporary Inception Fix

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 96 | Thanked: 125 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Turkey
@kjmackey or someone has both 808 and n9

I am about to buy a new smartphone and I am between 808 and n9 64gb. If you were in my shoes which one would you prefer, why? Actually I love phones with great camera modules and i was using k850i so far but I can`t help myself buying an n9. And one more thing: which one has better music quality with headphones? Thank you in advance.

Originally Posted by herdem09 View Post

I am about to buy a new smartphone and I am between 808 and n9 64gb. If you were in my shoes which one would you prefer, why? Actually I love phones with great camera modules and i was using k850i so far but I can`t help myself buying an n9. And one more thing: which one has better music quality with headphones? Thank you in advance.
well just buy them both like i did i suggest if you can live with very basic functionality go for the 808 it gets some job done pretty decently. but if you frequently go web surfing or doing multiple stuff on your phone go for the n9. regarding music, that depends mainly on your music library 808 doesnt play flac and if you have a huge library the music app is a pain. managing music library is better on n9. both are pretty descent in pairing with headphones. 808 has a slight advantage because of equalizer apps. dolby is a nice touch on both devices.

N9 64gb black

Posts: 96 | Thanked: 125 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Turkey
Thank you for quick reply. I am gonna go for N9 as 808 is bulky and expensive.

Originally Posted by herdem09 View Post

My experience has been the N9 is better overall, the 808 only offers a great camera, no more no less.

If you are coming from Symbian it's not that much of a stretch, but it you're not, it's a challenge to use the 808.

The N9 is far better as a product imho

@everythingn9

Temporary Inception Fix