Posts: 251 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Houston, Texas
Is it just me or did the OS2008 processor speed up adversely change the timing on the handwriting recognition?

Even at the slowest speed of the Control Panel setting, I can't finish the letters before the OS tries to guess the letter.

Good luck at trying to enter an "H".

Even teaching the letters doesn't help.

Is this a candidate for a Bugzilla entry?

Posts: 259 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Halifax, NS
I fought with this today for a long time too! I don't think it's speed that's the issue, if you do the left vertical, then the horizontal crossbar and then the right vertical it works.

I think it's a bug in that it sees the space between the two vertical bars and decides it's two characters without watching for a valid character.

Speed seems to be the issue for me, the moment I lift the stylus to put in a crossbar, it interprets the first vertical as an "I".

If I don't lift the stylus, about 90% of the time I get an "N" instead of an "H".

After the OS2008 upgrade, In many other applications it seems like my stylus is HYPERSENSITIVE and will often act like a double-tap instead of a single tap.

Did Nokia forget to put a little de-bouncing in when they sped up the processor?

Originally Posted by rdcinhou View Post
Speed seems to be the issue for me, the moment I lift the stylus to put in a crossbar, it interprets the first vertical as an "I".

If I don't lift the stylus, about 90% of the time I get an "N" instead of an "H".

After the OS2008 upgrade, In many other applications it seems like my stylus is HYPERSENSITIVE and will often act like a double-tap instead of a single tap.

Did Nokia forget to put a little de-bouncing in when they sped up the processor?
I don't use handwriting recognition, but I've wondered the same about the update, since I've been having similar issues with double-taps on the onscreen keyboard.

The Following User Says Thank You to jhoff80 For This Useful Post:
Okay...an update trying various different things to get the HWR working...

You cannot form an "H" with two strokes down and then a cross bar. When you start the second downstroke it assumes the letter is finished. Do a downstroke, crossbar and then downstroke and it works.

Similar problems when you do an "*" or a "#". You have to do anything but the vertical first.

I now can get about 99% reliability with the HWR. I still can't get it to do a "-" instead of a "_", but I guess that's what the symbol button on the right hand side of the HWR entry area is for. I use a lot more "-"s than "_"s, so why didn't Nokia have it choose the more probable character than the least probable?