Notices

Hey everyone,

I am new to this Maemo Talk forums.

I used the N900 for nearly four years until last week, there is few issues with the phone so I have decided to get a new phone, the S4.

I have tried to sync and back up all of messages to Nokia Suite, but it says it is unsuccessful and was told that I need to update the software on N900 but the risk is that if I do that before backup the messages or sync messages, I will lose all messages/data. So I dont want to do that. I have tried to do with Ovi Suite, but unfortunately it stated that Ovi Suite is no longer available and it has the newer version - Nokia Suite.
(I didnt use the Ovi or Nokia Suite for more than two years lol)

So, I'd really, really appreciate and grateful, if you guys can help me how to transfer or sync all of sms conversations from my N900 to Samsung Galaxy S4 or to the PC, and from PC to S4? It is very important to transfer/sync some of sms conversation from N900 to S4.

Any help will be great appreciated!

Kind regards.

P.s I have successfully transferred all of contacts, calendar, documents and photos/videos from N900 to S4 without any problems. But there are issues with transfer/sync sms conversations to S4,

P.s.s I also have backedup the communications and calendar to the micro SD Hc Card (8gb), and it stated that it stored 18MB for the backup, but I dont think they have backedup all of messages cause I believe all of my sms conversations are more than 18 mb since there are like maybe 100,000 messages (maybe 120 sms conversations) for four years so it should be more than 18mb, no?
Also I spoke to Nokia, and was told that Nokia Suite doesnt support N900 for sync messages... WTF??

Last edited by r.120; 2013-10-28 at 11:34.

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
This might help: http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=647921&postcount=3

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
100,000 * 160 = 16,000,000. Some messages will be longer, other shorter than 160 characters, but overall, 18 MB doesn't sound unreasonable. If you are really paranoid, make a backup of the entire folder ~/.rtcom-eventlogger. Especially the file el-v1.db. Open X-Term and run
Code:
cp -a .rtcom-eventlogger MyDocs
Since, as you say, you have made a full backup of everything else, you may as well proceed with the update without too much worry about losing anything.

As to how to get the communication history to the S4, I have no £$%&ing idea try qwazix's suggestion.

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
You may want to look at the program GlogArchive for the N900. It can extract and save your entire SMS database as CSV. If you're going to be able to transport it to S4 at all, there's probably a tool that imports from CSV if nothing else.

All said and done, copying an SMS database across models is rare to find within a single manufacturer, yet alone between them. SMS are not yet seen as critical data, like say contacts or e-mail. As a result, there's no real standard for storing, archiving, or transporting them.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to woody14619 For This Useful Post: