Notices

A big thanks to Josh for all the work he has done and making Katana a reality.

version 2.2 is out and the bug in Go to verse has been resolved.

Posts: 739 | Thanked: 220 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Surrey, UK
guys, great job on this.

i was just looking at the Emma ebook available from ovi store. Not because i am particularly interested in that but in the ebook reader functionality.

Two things i really like about it are the tap on right side of the screen scrolls the next section of text and left side of the screen goes back.

You can also swipe either way to get to that section of text.

also when you select an icon in the status bar you get a nice view of the avaiable chapters.

I presume that these sort of things would be difficult to replicate in Katana?
There is a way that seems right to a man, but in the end it leads to death. Proverbs 14:12

Posts: 258 | Thanked: 138 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ St. Louis, MO, USA
Hello, all. Is there a version in extras-devel yet? I searched but didn't see anything.

Yes, there is - it's simply called "katana".

Posts: 258 | Thanked: 138 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ St. Louis, MO, USA
The normal application manager UI couldn't find it, but apt-get did. It looks great! It is very responsive, and the scrolling works very well. Thanks for your hard work

One quick question, though, would it be hard to allow us to change it to a "dark" theme (white on black) via settings? that would be very nice.

Posts: 861 | Thanked: 734 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Nomadic
Am at the BibleTech Conference, last night Logos relased an API that should be used for Katana. API and info are at http://api.biblia.com

This API will get to the point of being able to not just do free content, but paid content across connected devices. As I learn more, I'll post more about this at MMM.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ARJWright For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ARJWright View Post
Am at the BibleTech Conference, last night Logos relased an API that should be used for Katana. API and info are at http://api.biblia.com

This API will get to the point of being able to not just do free content, but paid content across connected devices. As I learn more, I'll post more about this at MMM.
Only problem with this API is that is is designed for a online connection. I run my n900 offline (wireless only). I'm not against adding support for it; just putting a fyi out for what it does offer.

Nathan

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nathan For This Useful Post:
I tried Logos before and requires that you are always online to read the bible and have access to its resources.

Data charges are quite expensive where I live and would prefer and offline method of reading the bibles though it might be useful for those that have unlimited data plans.

I hope that Nathan would soon be free to assist in the adding of support for pdb files for those who already have a collection of these.

@Nathan - I can'gt say where and when offline access will come with that API, but that aspect is known and being worked on for this feature. At this point, its going to serve those who have a Logos account and library to take that conent with them - that idea early on about modules for Katana would work for something like this: user downloads Logos Plugin that has this API and gets that content.

To those wondering also, Qt is picking up all kinds of dev attention for Bible software. Nailing the core features and functions of Katana will do well for cross-platform options there as well.

Hey folks, I've got a post going up on Apr 1 at MMM which will give a quick update towards the status of Katana. I've covered most of the items in the last many posts about the alpha, but want to make sure that (a) I'm not missing something and (b) that I'm covering the needs correctly. So:

(a) joshn53, are there any updates happening before April 1 that would change the features that are enabled?

(b) Besides additional developers, testers, and content, is there anything else that's needed to keep this moving?

My hope is that a few folks will see the use of Sword and .pdb files in Katana as an incentive to push ahead with their web services development. Having an open source platform such as Katana helps those companies who are on the side of seeing the flexibility of using web services see the possibilities, and gives them a small enough platform to try this on before making it more broadly available. If they can see how easy it is to go with web services, then the chance of having Maemo/MeeGo more looked at as an option for Bible content will be a win for users and publishers/developers. And I am quite certain that companies will be doing more work like Logos and the Biblia API, Katana being flexible enough to just work helps a lot.

Tags
bible, maemo 5, rapier, reference browser, religious apps, scripture reader, sword