Notices

Posts: 1,417 | Thanked: 2,619 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Touring
I have packaged a tar.gz of the final English wikipedia and wikivoyage Evopedia dumps 17.53Gb. I made a torrent and I hope this will work.
The difficulty is that I do not have anything but mobile internet to my home. I have arranged to have someone I know host a rasberry pi seedign this torrent. The hoster is just a person with a cable internet line and she is only willing to let me use her line if it doesnt interfere.
She might unplug it at any time and there have been frequent power outages, she might also just loose patience with my thing blinking in her kitchen or her kids grab it.
This is exclusively free to copy wikipedia files 100% legal to own, torrent, seed, download, or upload. If you can get to 100% you can then seed to the community and even if my Pi gets unplugged the torrent will live on as long as someone seeds. I have no idea how long I will have this reluctant permission to host this torrent.
here is the magnet to start, just click or cut/paste into your torrent downloader. I would link a .torrent file but TMO doesnt seem to have the option to attach a file.

aa30216ac624d51d66ee443df1557c117a8b64ab

and is announced to the following trackers:
http://www.torrent-downloads.to:2710/announce
http://denis.stalker.h3q.com:6969/announce
udp://denis.stalker.h3q.com:6969/announce
http://www.sumotracker.com/announce

If anyone can try to connect please comment, this is my first try in making or hosting a torrent, as I understand the more who download the faster it is for everyone so trying to torrent this just to be nice is helpful even if you have no interest in evopedia.
Please leave the torrent running/seeding after you get the whole file.
Even if you are uninterested please join the torrent swarm to speed the download for others.
I added the tar.gz of a .torrent file torrenting a tar.gz so getting a little meta in the naming.
Attached Files
File Type: gz wiki en1.tar.gz.torrent.tar.gz (163.9 KB, 49 views)

Last edited by biketool; 2020-03-24 at 13:19.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by biketool View Post
I have packaged a tar.gz of the final English wikipedia and wikivoyage Evopedia dumps 17.53Gb. I made a torrent and I hope this will work.
Thanks. I try with Transmission: Downloading 0 bytes from 0 to 0 peers. Has anybody else get it work?

The Following User Says Thank You to teroyk For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by teroyk View Post
Thanks. I try with Transmission: Downloading 0 bytes from 0 to 0 peers. Has anybody else get it work?
The machine serving up the torrent is behind a NAT, I think if you keep at it it will work eventually. I am still showing 0 connected peers so I really hope this works.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by biketool View Post
The machine serving up the torrent is behind a NAT, I think if you keep at it it will work eventually. I am still showing 0 connected peers so I really hope this works.
I afraid that it doesn't work. Or has somebody downloaded any bytes?

The Following User Says Thank You to teroyk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Yep.
Yesterday after struggling with clutch/transmission (did not install, hard dependency against libevent-2.0-5, solved by symlinking against the jolla provided 2.1-6) I really downloaded 62.8Mb.

But then went to bed and flight mode.
This morning it did not reconnect

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following User Says Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
I see that someone((edit)obviously @peterleinchen) got 62Mb, so that is a start I guess.
If I had a 32GB SD card I would even mail it out taped to a postcard so someone better connected could seed but rural post is closed until further notice and I have no car.
Anyways anyone reading this thread, especially if you can port map your bittorrent clinet out past NAT or use a VPN or SSH to tunnel out beyond NAT it will really help anyone who cant get this.

Last edited by biketool; 2020-03-25 at 09:24.

The Following User Says Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
I think there is something wrong with your wiki_en1.tar.gz.torrent file since rtorrent won't find the torrent; it just tries to connect to http://www.torrent-downloads.to:2710/announce and after a while gives up with error message "Tracker: [Could not parse bencoded data]"

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
I think there is something wrong with your wiki_en1.tar.gz.torrent file since rtorrent won't find the torrent; it just tries to connect to http://www.torrent-downloads.to:2710/announce and after a while gives up with error message "Tracker: [Could not parse bencoded data]"
Okay,

Now the torrent started to flow suddenly!
Seems the seeding host you used was not reachable for a while or something.
Currently I can see 3 hosts in the swarm, and both upload and download is working.

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 391 | Thanked: 908 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ suncity
I just added (6 minutes ago) but does not start downloading. Waiting... Will update if starts.

The Following User Says Thank You to justmemory For This Useful Post:
OK, I currently can see one peer, uploading @ 350kb/s total of 3.64gb total seeding.
Thanks to all swarming this.

The Following User Says Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post: