Posts: 1,417 | Thanked: 2,619 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Touring
I still use my N900 as an everyday though my wife now uses a a Oneplus 1 LineageOS/ with fDroid repos(no Google).
If I need web browsing I take along my Nexus 7 also running LineageOS.
I dislike the non GNU-ness of any Android distro and would love a way to have an updated Maemo5/Debian-like GNU-Linux OS on it instead.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post:
Posts: 88 | Thanked: 77 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Spain
Originally Posted by justmemory View Post
OK, here it is.

Some side notes before you go…:

- it is larger than 5 GB so I recommend copying it to a reformatted SD card – I created a ext3 partition on mine. The bigger the partition the more programs you are able to install…

- maybe you should untar it as root.

- there are some scripts that are meant to run kali in terminal or with i3. My kali image is on /media/mmc1p3 so maybe you should modify these scripts according to your kali image location. (There is a “bootkali” script – this remained from earlier; unnecessary, but I kept it)

- I have "sudo" and kernel-power installed; some of the scripts are using these. kaliwm sets CPU max to 1100 MHz so be careful! My n900 can handle this but maybe yours not... If you wish to reset to 600 MHz after quitting i3, just add the following line to the end of kali-i3 script: sudo kernel-config limits 250 600.

- if you wish to run a kali application from under Maemo then run: kalli the-program-that-you-want-to-run in osso-xterm.

- for terminal usage you should run the script named “kali” as root.

- for i3 you should run “kaliwm” but before doing that
- maybe you should install wmctrl on Maemo,
- modify some things in chrooted kali:
• for example the ~/.i3/config file – near the end of the file there is a line that randomly adds wallpapers at startup from my MyDocs folder so you should modify this line according to your needs.
• Btw. I recommend reading through this config file because it has many tweaks – keybindings (~/.xbindkeysrc has some tweaks too!) for example or status bar infos, etc. So getting familiar with these can spare you some headache (:

- if you do not like i3 just wipe it out and install xfce or lxde or openbox/fluxbox or anything you want…

- since I do not want to use this image as a dual boot but with chroot, I removed the modules folder completelyto get some space (I backed up this folder so in the future I can just copy it back…).

- there is a remapped keyboard config: /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/nokia_vndr/rx-51. This way I can type Hungarian characters easily with Shift+Up/Down/Left/Right arrow. Btw. “^” sign is Shift+Down arrow (twice) – it can be handy when using terminal…

- Basics…:
o I wanted to keep things as simple as possible so there are no fancy things installed that is why I chose i3 window manager. There are still several things that can be removed - and I removed those since I packed this image - but I thought maybe someone will need these.
o This image has st (simple terminal installed) as terminal emulator. If you are not familiar with it I recommend reading this. It uses Source Code Pro font with solarized theme and transparent background. If you would like to use something else then go to ~/st directory, make the needed changes in config.h then run command: make clean install.
o Midnight Commander has solarized theme too; just define something else in mc.ini if you wish to use something else.
o Using tor: sadly midori doesn’t have to option to set/use socks proxy and tsocks midori command doesn’t work either (at least for me…) so if you want to stay lightweight you should use links2: after running tor (or tor&) just type torlinks2 or if you want a “gui” then torxlinks2 – this will run links2 with the appropriate socks proxy settings (at least it is working for me but you can test it if you visit check.torproject.org). Alternatively you can install iceweasel but it is painfully slow…
o there is neovim installed too – not the up to date one; I didn’t try to update it from github but you can try. Sadly I couldn’t compile it from source because of the dependencies – libjemalloc always fails and I cannot figure out why… So this neovim and the libs it is depending on are from debian repo… But it is working as it should. I configured it to my needs – I use python so all configs are made according to this fact (pydiction, flake8, vulture, etc.). Config is: ~/.config/nvim/init.
o for video there is mplayer, for audio there is cmus.
o if you want to manage volume then type alsamixer – if you don’t hear anything search for HP DAC and set it other than 0 (:
Thanks a lot for this work!

Im wish prove it.

PD: Maybe your post will be useful too in the kali thread.

The Following User Says Thank You to xiskillo For This Useful Post:
[OT]

Originally Posted by biketool View Post
I still use my N900 as an everyday though my wife now uses a a Oneplus 1 LineageOS/ with fDroid repos(no Google).
If I need web browsing I take along my Nexus 7 also running LineageOS.
I dislike the non GNU-ness of any Android distro and would love a way to have an updated Maemo5/Debian-like GNU-Linux OS on it instead.
I was thinking of buying a phone that is compatible with LineageOS.
How would you compare LineageOS with Maemo.
I looooove Maemo, and hate Android with Google, do you think LineageOS (with some open source repos) could be a viable option?
I would like to have an updated Maemo5/Debian-like GNU-Linux OS too, but sadly I think we are stuck with what we have now.

[/OT]

Sorry for the off topic.

The Following User Says Thank You to Malakai For This Useful Post:
I use my N900 as a daily driver and will continue to do so until one of 3 things happens:
1.It fails and cant be fixed/repaired
2.Something happens in the network that prevents it from being used (carrier stops supporting the needed frequencies)
or 3.I am able to replace it with something better (no way I would downgrade from an N900 to a Galaxy S7 or an iPhone 7 though)

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to jonwil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,378 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Göteborg, Sweden
Originally Posted by Malakai View Post
[OT]
I was thinking of buying a phone that is compatible with LineageOS.
How would you compare LineageOS with Maemo.
I looooove Maemo, and hate Android with Google, do you think LineageOS (with some open source repos) could be a viable option?
I would like to have an updated Maemo5/Debian-like GNU-Linux OS too, but sadly I think we are stuck with what we have now.
[/OT]
I run CM13, effectively LineageOS, with noGAPPs. Look it is Android in it's manner, but yes, you are free of leaking info left right and centre. That is a huge plus, if you want modern browsing and access to Android apps, such as those for local public transport (the n900 had Fahrplan, but it was not updated to newer iterations and so.... it makes a huge difference having that access for me). So yes, it is viable but still Androidish.

N900 style linux phone? Guess Sailfish is the closest, now that Ubuntu Touch is dormant, and UT anyway was frustrating due to it's security model.

HA

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to handaxe For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,417 | Thanked: 2,619 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Touring
Originally Posted by Malakai View Post
[OT]I was thinking of buying a phone that is compatible with LineageOS.
Apples vs oranges. A Linux geek used to Deban grabs a N900 and is at home once they add all of the repos, it actually came with a console app installed, even the Linux Zaurus didnt come with that installed.
Grab a supported Android phone or tablet, USB unlock bootloader in fastboot, flash a new recovery firmware like Team Win, then download and sideload the Lineage image. Once you have LineageOS dl and sideload the root enabler addon and the f-Droid .apk for FOSS software repo, dont get the Google play addon or what is the point of this all. Get the .apks you feel needed for closed software from a friend with an insecure google play phone and an apk repacker app or use an apk downloader solution and you have a usable tool, friendly and hackable but still too nanny as say WindowsXP but with better security and a very useful permissions blocker. It still is not Linux as we know it, SSH is not as useful and it seems like every useful feature requires an easter egg level of effort and forum surfing to learn the little trick. That said it is amazingly more secure and more useful than dealing with a google-play standard android device which requires a known root exploit to hack yourself root access.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
N900 viable as a daily phone driver? No.

As a geek device that would make any Linux tinkerer beyond happy? Yes.

Personally, I am not a fan of the N900 any longer for communication of any kind. But man, it's hands down the best pocket Linux device ever released.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Wrong. I switched back to the N900 after two and a half years with Jolla and it feels like a HUGE upgrade.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Wrong. I switched back to the N900 after two and a half years with Jolla and it feels like a HUGE upgrade.
Who is wrong?

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 105 | Thanked: 106 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ Hungary
Well it's situational.
Used mine as primary for a very, very long time.
But the time has come for me too, I needed apps for my work and pretty much for my daily life that Maemo cannot provide anymore.
I'm using an LG Leon since last week, which is a 2 years old low-low-lowend Android phone, bought it for like 30 €, and its better in every single way possible, except the keyboard which I miss very much.

N900 is still ok if you don't need any mainstream apps, internet, advanced gps and transportation tools, social crap, and standby time.
As a phone, as an e-mail client, or Skype device, PMP, all of these are still working.

It's still very nice as a Linux toy, but as a smartphone, nowadays it's suffocated by it's hw and the lack of support.
Honestly, since I've got my LG, N900 is on my desk, and I have no task for it. :\

Last edited by dy1ng; 2017-03-31 at 19:13.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dy1ng For This Useful Post: