Posts: 1,389 | Thanked: 1,857 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
https://www.wileyfox.com/

Official OS is CM13, but their top phones are 5"4, while lower range are 5"

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ZogG For This Useful Post:
Posts: 654 | Thanked: 2,368 times | Joined on Jul 2014 @ UK
I like my Fairphone 2 because it's decent hardware that's easily repairable, and the company is trying really hard to do things the "right way", getting the community involved and being open about their goals (kind of like Jolla, but they've been better at hitting their targets and managing expectations IMO).

Fairphone has been actively supporting open source projects (even running one themselves with their own open source fork of Android), enabling users to choose a Google free OS if they want, and they've made it easy as an end user to download binary blobs by negotiating with manufacturers to allow them to be distributed in this way.

More of an investment, but it should last longer than a Nexus device because you can repair it yourself, and if we want companies like this to be successful we have to vote with our wallets.

If I didn't have this phone, I'd get a oneplus 3 on the grounds that it's likely to get decent CM ports in the future and the 6GB RAM, while overkill for normal use, would be useful for compiling software on the device and that kind of thing.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Feathers McGraw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,328 | Thanked: 4,476 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
Is there any way to predict libhybrisablity of those devices? (OnePlus 3, WileyFox devices)
There are no Sailfish/Ubuntu ports yet and the specsheets are really vague.

Can we assume that for smartphones A, B which have the same model of a subdevice X (e.g. cellphone antenna): if X works perfectly on A, then X works perfectly on B (under libhybris)

On the other hand, maybe it's not worth investing right now. Maybe some keyboard slider will appear in 2017? (BB plans to release one)
I'm in doubts.

And what do you think about Meizu MX4, Pro 5 or BQ Aquaris E5? These had a version with Ubuntu Touch, adaptation seems to be on GitHub.

Projects no longer actively developed: here

Last edited by marmistrz; 2016-07-10 at 18:48.

The Following User Says Thank You to marmistrz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 752 | Thanked: 2,808 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by marmistrz View Post
Are RTC alarms used in (hacker's) everyday life?
Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but IIRC, they allow the phone to wake up for an alarm when the phone is switched off. So pretty much what we are used to from Nokia (and Jolla) phones, but last time I checked, it wasn't a standard thing to have in Android land (things might have changed, though).
Additionally, SailfishOS (Mer) has quite a nice dbus interface with which you can set any command to be run and have the phone wake up from the switched off state to do it.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nodevel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by marmistrz View Post
iPhone?? No, no, no. I want my device to be hackable. Not hard-locked. Heard about fully locked bootloaders on iCrap. No, no, still shuddering.

Dave, do know something about 1 or 3 in case of these two devices?
No iDon't. But I do so with pride!

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nodevel View Post
Additionally, SailfishOS (Mer) has quite a nice dbus interface with which you can set any command to be run and have the phone wake up from the switched off state to do it.
Could you explain it little more? Is there any dbus commands to set alarms in RTCC registers?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to elros34 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,328 | Thanked: 4,476 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
What about the durability of OnePlus 3? How long can I expect it to last?

Projects no longer actively developed: here

The Following User Says Thank You to marmistrz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 435 | Thanked: 684 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Netherlands 020
Originally Posted by elros34 View Post
Could you explain it little more? Is there any dbus commands to set alarms in RTCC registers?
I do also want to know.

The Following User Says Thank You to jellyroll For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
iPhone have best web experiance out of the Box, simply becouse that all skilled webdevs make sure to have great iOS support, but it have to many trade offs for you.
There are so many polyfills required for Safari some web devs are advocating pulling the plug on them so iThing users become aware of what a dinosaur their browser really is in the hope it will embarrass Apple into joining the 21st century.

Google's Progressive Web Apps are a clear indication that they're more interested in giving you the best web experience than Apple are.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to switch-hitter For This Useful Post:
For awhile, I have been oggling at the Lenovo Vibe X3.
5.5"
NFC, OTG, BT 4.1
Android 5.1 (Vibe UI)
Snapdragon 808
FHD IPS Display
Notification LED
Dolby Atmos, Forward Facing Stereo Speakers
3GB RAM, 32/64 GB ROM (Also expandable via hybrid sim tray)
Camera is decent..but lacks Optical Image Stabilization
It's slightly above $400 on Amazon (for the 32gb variant).

Root is (theoretically) possible, XDA said it's source code has been officially released.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IMO, having OTG or a BT Keyboard will be acceptable as the main keyboard.
I actually have one of those Rii Mini wireless keyboards with wireless reciever, I use it via otg.
BUT I'd recommend finding a backlit model. Its a pain when typing in the dark.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to x_Blaze.It.Beau_x For This Useful Post: