Active Topics

Posts: 320 | Thanked: 763 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Espoo, FInland
Hello!

I want to tell you about the voluntary activity I've taken with the group of my ex-colleagues from OSSO/Maemo/Meego (Nokia before Microsoft times) and about the current results we achieved. I hope you will be interested and will be able to help to push it further.

We realized that most of the regular people are not aware about the complexities of the digital world we live in. Even software developers are often lost in the licensing questions (what license shall I select for my code? Why? When etc).

An idea of creating MOOC (Massive Open Online Course) dedicated to these important questions appeared. Richard Stallman liked it and suggested to re-use parts of his video tapes in order to create the course. It has been done but some of the parts were missed. Hence, we made recordings of the missed parts with him in Helsinki at the second half of last year. As well as the intro video to the course.

The process was pretty long (almost 2 years). It was long process to select and combine videos,get feedback from rms etc.

Now we decided to release everything which is done so far and start the course on 4, May 2015: https://eliademy.com/catalog/road-to...l-society.html (contains intro video made in 2014 when Richard was in Helsinki specially for this course).

The course will start on the platform Eliademy.com (this is the service my ex-colleagues are working on) which has non-free JS code in. And this is the reason why Richard can't endorse it officially, if I undertood all his concerns right.

However, regardless of the platform where it is published, the videos are released under CC BY-ND license and will be published on my hobby web server as well. So, everybody can utilize them and re-use them as educational materials. The course contains of videos, quizzes and forums discussions. The course contents is released under CC BY-NC-SA license.

Example, 1st video of the 1st week: http://vrepin.org/rms/RMS-W1_V1.ogg

Every week I will be publishing new videos on Eliademy platform and (the same time) on my hobby web server.

I would be more than happy if anybody decides to use the videos we made in other platforms and can spread the word about this course.

Another help that is needed:

- Quizzes for weeks 3-5 (not yet ready. Can share the videos with you before the release dates)
- Subtitles (for now, we release the video content without subtitles)
- Any input on the course content
- Informing the target audience about the existence of the course
- Any ideas on improving the course content
- Feedback of the whole idea and possible continuation of it

The Following 24 Users Say Thank You to vitaly_repin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 915 | Thanked: 3,209 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
How did you win RMS over for a project whose results are published under non-free licenses (nc/nd)?

The Following User Says Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sulu View Post
How did you win RMS over for a project whose results are published under non-free licenses (nc/nd)?
Probably the same was as other GNU videos made it - by his own requirement. Check: https://audio-video.gnu.org/video/

...because this is a point of view...

If I understand his idea correctly, this is about inability to put somebodys'else ideas into his mouth by cutting the movie in the improper places.

You will know more about these details if you attend this course :-)

The videos are published under CC BY-ND, not NC-ND. So, commercial usage is allowed. Regarding quizzes - it looks like I need to talk back to Eliademy guys. Currently this is the only CC license they support. Definately, it would be natural to release them under CC BY SA

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to vitaly_repin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 67 | Thanked: 64 times | Joined on Feb 2015 @ Argentina
How can I help with subtitles (english to spanish)?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jmo707 For This Useful Post:
Thanks for the williness to help with subtitles!

I will share with you videos. I will contact you via private message next week.

Posts: 466 | Thanked: 335 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Vienna, Austria
I might be able to help with german subtitles, i.e. with translating the strings. I don't have any experience though with actual subtitling work, like timing, placement in the video etc.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bennypr0fane For This Useful Post:
Posts: 67 | Thanked: 64 times | Joined on Feb 2015 @ Argentina
Originally Posted by vitaly_repin View Post
Thanks for the williness to help with subtitles!

I will share with you videos. I will contact you via private message next week.
Great! As bennypr0fane, I can't translate but can not mix subtitles with video. I guess I could learn, anyway...

Hello to everybody again!

I've lunched git repository to simplify the work on subtitles: https://github.com/vitalyrepin/FreedomRMS

Subtitles: https://github.com/vitalyrepin/Freed...ster/subtitles

README.MD has instructions on how to start with the subtitles.
I made English subtitles for the Introduction video. They are visible in the course page now: https://eliademy.com/catalog/feature...l-society.html (you can find sources in the Intro subdirectory in the git repo)

I will put more videos fetching rules to the corresponding directories (1 directory per week) when these videos are fully done.

As of now, Intro and W1 are in place.

I have created the course homepage. It contains course materials and all the links to the translation project and eliademy course instance: http://vrepin.org/FreeDigitalSociety/index.html

You can check the first two weeks already now!

thanks; where does rms run the course, then, if you're running it at a non-free website? i didn't even see it mentioned on the fsf blog for some reason.. will download & watch this week

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gryllida For This Useful Post:

Tags
copyleft, free software, licensing