Posts: 337 | Thanked: 891 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Royaume Uni.
http://www.zdnet.com/article/alcatel...-15-6-billion/

A lot of articles seem to be reporting Nokia as buying Alcatel, but the reality is no cash is being paid, it's just shares being swapped. It's also wrongly been stated that buying Alcatel gives Nokia a foothold back into mobile devices. The Alcatel company that makes devices is actually a different Chinese owned company now.

Also confirmed is the reports that Nokia are looking to sell HERE maps. This move is not surprising to me, as Nokia's debt is rated as junk, and they probably need extra cash to fund the losses from Alcatel.

All in all, this is disappointing news, as it just confirms the current Nokia strategy (moving out of consumer devices to focus on the networking business). It would not surprise me if the next step was to find a new owner for Nokia Advanced Technologies.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to NokiaFanatic For This Useful Post:
Posts: 594 | Thanked: 1,094 times | Joined on Aug 2012 @ Rhine

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Leinad For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by NokiaFanatic View Post
All in all, this is disappointing news, as it just confirms the current Nokia strategy (moving out of consumer devices to focus on the networking business).
True, as has been stated before. There's no need for extra confirmation as it has been evident for a long time that Nokia has dropped mobiles for good. (some people just do not believe it, delusional really...)

However I don't see why would you rate it as a disappointment? Getting rid of consumer devices was the best step that could have been done, a way to save the company.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 646 | Thanked: 1,124 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Espoo, Finland
BTW: I hope our respected Counselor won't be put against an alcajuiceme for a place in the 900MEUR of 'operating cost synergies'.
Because.. there is always a sad part in those merges...

Last edited by minimos; 2015-04-15 at 12:48.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to minimos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 459 | Thanked: 669 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ The DMV
I just wish that I had sold off my Lucent shares before the bubble burst 15 years ago.

The Following User Says Thank You to klinglerware For This Useful Post:
Hmmm... guess this makes sense about their sale of HERE maps.
I wonder who's gonna snap that up.
I think the potential buyers are Uber, Microsoft, or a car company*.

Which leaves Nokia as a behind-the-scenes kind of company.
Alive and kicking, but dead as far as people are concerned.
ie, an IBM of some sorts.

Just for giggles let's compare the best phones each company offers:
http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3...&idPhone2=6227

(Car company = GM, Volkswagen Group, Hyundai International, Ford)

I'm flattered

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kangal For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
True, as has been stated before. There's no need for extra confirmation as it has been evident for a long time that Nokia has dropped mobiles for good. (some people just do not believe it, delusional really...)

However I don't see why would you rate it as a disappointment? Getting rid of consumer devices was the best step that could have been done, a way to save the company.
Totally agree, it's the best move for Nokia. But I do miss the awesome hardware and design of their devices like N900/950, it a disappointment of not having mericles that they will make these awesome devices again. I know it would not be likely to happen, but still feel sad.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 649 | Thanked: 762 times | Joined on Mar 2012 @ Ohio
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Though I agree with the first part of that, I'm not sure that the "believers" should be called delusional considering the fact that Nokia is releasing the N1.

Yes, I personally think it is more likely that this was a limited risk (thanks Foxconn) "one-off" endeavor. However, if people want to assume that a company that has released mobile devices for decades might dip their toes back in the waters of mobile phones after JUST releasing a tablet, I'm not sure that calling them crazy is fitting. Maybe just masochists that are in for a big disappointment...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to imaginaryenemy For This Useful Post:
Since "the sinking ship" is buying Alcatel, I suggest everyone stocks up on their supplies of Alcatel.

And 'tis reason I offer you the Alcatel TCL OneTouch Idol 3 5.5 (YES A MOUTHFUL) phone.
As I pointed out, its quite well equipped, around the same level as the OnePlus One.
And right now its on a special sale for $199:
http://www.alcatelonetouch.us/ALCATE.../dp/B00V3U6FFK

That's a pretty solid price, for a pretty solid device.
Its definitely bringing the hurt on the Sharp Crystal, which already brought the hurt on the Moto G.

And I just learned the other day that Michele Ferrero died.
So I'm stocking up on all the Ferrero Rochers and Nutella I can find.
I suggest you guys do the same. There was even articles saying there won't be enough Nutella to go around. And the price has risen already, and it has nothing to do with this.

I'm flattered

The Following User Says Thank You to Kangal For This Useful Post:
Posts: 72 | Thanked: 194 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Norway
An article I found interesting in Irish Times about Nokia, Jolla and Finland.
Jolla Mobile linked to this on facebook.
http://www.irishtimes.com/business/t...orld-1.2178606

The Following User Says Thank You to hhbbap For This Useful Post:

Tags
alcatel, nokia