Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Fortunately I can freely adjust my SIM card size;

When I recently got a new SIM from my provider (Elisa Finland) it was a kind of multicard; the whole thing is about the size of a credit card used in the very first GSM phones in the 90's.
The card contains progressively smaller and smalled cards in push-to-pop-kindof frames, and you can go back to the larger format SIM by inserting the smaller one into the one-step-larger frame.

Hmm. I am not sure my explanation makes any sense but it is a fact; I can use the same card either as a micro-SIM or normal SIM.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Yes, I used SIM size adapters. It did not work. I will try fortifying it one day.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 141 | Thanked: 190 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Barcelona - Spain
I can adjust my SIM card size too with adapters so is not a problem for me to switch between devices.

Currently... I'm using Lumia 1020 as daily phone. I'm a photographer so it is difficult for me not to carry a mobile phone with very good camera. But often still I use my N900 which I consider the best mobile I've ever had.

Very very soon I'll have Jolla (we must support our cause ) and I hope that I love it.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Fatalist For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
I am not sure my explanation makes any sense
Sure it does does.

Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Yes, I used SIM size adapters. It did not work.
Not knowing your situation, I believe (some?) older SIMs had different sized chips.

First, when I needed a micro SIM, I just cut down the old mini SIM myself and had to also sever parts of the metal, but it worked. Then, when I was about to need a nano, I heard/read somewhere that cutting the old SIM to nano size wouldn't necessarily work, so I just got the SIM replaced as a nano. After that, I've used the nano successfully with adapters as a micro and a mini SIM in Jolla, N9 & N900.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tmi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 89 | Thanked: 222 times | Joined on Jul 2013 @ Prague
N900 > N9 (16gb) > N9 (64GB) > Jolla (first one) > Samsung Galaxy S7.

N900 is still the best phone for me, does everything I want the way I want it, just lack of app support for mainstream stuff forced me to change, otherwise I would still use it as daily driver!.

Tried N9 loved the display, but it was too iphone and not enough N900 for me. Parents both still run my old N9's as their daily drivers!

Got Jolla in the wild hope it would benew N900. Got TOHKB to make it more so. My gripe is the phone has never been 100% reliable and many times I would update the software and use N900 as daily phone waiting for next update to fix the Jolla issues. My experience was every two bad updates were followed by a "good" one meaning I could use the Jolla as main phone again.

Since Jolla got into Financial problems the updates have slowed to a trickle and we are left in the unreliable stage again. My Jolla is also getting old as it was "the first one", so looks a bit battered...

So had to bite the bullet and looked at iphone 6 or Samsung Galaxy S7. expandable memory and nifty hardware keyboard add-on made Samsung win and to be honest I am impressed. Great having a phone which is well supported and things just generally work! The display is reminiscent of the N9's.

Keeping a weather eye on Neo900, but I feel without apps and big boy support it will not be anything other than a niche product, and maybe I have moved on from the niche.

The N900? Still sat next to me as I write this and is powered up approx weekly, has a SIM card in it. Its not my daily phone, but its not retired yet either, never has been since the day in March 2010 I bought it and said "wow" to its capabilities for the next few weeks!

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to glo-worm For This Useful Post:
Posts: 592 | Thanked: 1,603 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Berlin / Germany
I think, the hardcore Linux guys and other freaks (incl. me) will still use N900. In 2016 and 2017. Because there are NO alternatives..

N900 is the smallest Linux Computer with Debian, SSH, WiFi, 3G and QWERTY.
Jolla is cool as Smartphone, but Jolla with TOHkbd give me not the same feeling like N900. so i will use it in the future....

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to explit For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,328 | Thanked: 4,476 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
I've used my N900 for 6 years until the tape connecting the motherboard with the components got half-torn. (so the device is barely usable as a telephone, quite fine as a tablet) Left this device as something to experiment later on when I have time, and bought... another N900.

Waiting (in vain) for a QWERTY Ubuntu phone - not really because of the OS, but because of the (possibly) decent libhybris drivers - so that we can set up anything we like here - from Debian through Fremantle to Plasma Mobile

Projects no longer actively developed: here

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to marmistrz For This Useful Post:
N900->N900->N900->E7(warranty replacement, sold it after week of use)->N900->N900->Jolla->Jolla

All my N900s broke, because of USB-ports fell off. First Jolla I broke due to some problem with my anger management and nothing to do with the phone itself. Bought a second one used after a month or so. In between I used some ultracheap android Samsung, (can't remember model).

I would probably still have some usage for my N900, I would neet to flash it and broken usb port makes impossible I guess? Plus can't be bothered with switching batteries constantly. I really miss the FM Transmitter while driving my car.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aki__A For This Useful Post:
Wow I'm boring. Might list is very long since getting the N900:

N900

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Android_808 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Aki__A View Post
All my N900s broke, because of USB-ports fell off.

I would probably still have some usage for my N900, I would neet to flash it and broken usb port makes impossible I guess?
There are parts for sale in Buy & Sell e.g. http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=96353

I guess it depends how badly the USB port has torn off whether it's fixable or not. Some have managed to fix them, many haven't. There was also another way to charge the phone (without the USB, that is) which is mentioned/linked to somewhere in the N900 USB threads.

If you get the USB fixed or phone/motherboard replaced, filing down the pins/hooks on the connector is always recommended as a precaution.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tmi For This Useful Post:

Tags
nokia n900, successor