First I'd like to thank all the developers who have worked on Thumb2 and U-Boot (esp. freemangordon and pali), the N900 wouldn't be the same without their hard work and dedication. This is in no way meant as a criticism of them. /disclaimer

Please help, I can't decide.

Due to reasons beyond my control, I have given up on the idea of having both CSSUThumb2 and U-Boot installed. I've tried everything and I can't get them to work together. I simply don't have time to deal with reflashing anymore, even if only the kernel. This combination, in unison with the repo problems/migration have given me nightmares the past couple of months. So it's time to (temporarily) say goodbye to that idea.

Which stays and which goes?

Will kp51+U-Boot do the job smoothly enough, or should I just keep Thumb2 and forget about Arch, Nemo, etc...?

Thanks for your replies.

The Following User Says Thank You to zlatokosi For This Useful Post:
As freemangordon said "needed errata workaround is included in kernel-power v51r1 (and above)" so you can use it with CSSU Thumb and u-boot.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to elros34 For This Useful Post:
Thanks, but I knew that. My problem isn't with kp51, it's that CSSU Thumb and U-Boot don't really like each other, at least on my N900.

So describe what is happening when you install u-boot or cssu.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to elros34 For This Useful Post:
install u-boot next kp51 next cssu thumb.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to n900_ For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
u-boot and cssu-thumb are supposed to live happily together, please describe what your problem is.

just a hint - you need either kernel-power-flasher or kernel-cssu-flasher installed to have the correct dependencies for cssu-thumb. that means, that after installing u-boot, you SHOULD NOT uninstall -flasher packages. If you have kernel-power, then you need kernel-power-bootimg, if you have kernel-cssu, then you need kernel-cssu-bootimg respectively.

720p video support on N900,SmartReflex on N900,Keyboard and mouse support on N900
Nothing is impossible - Stable thumb2 on n900

Community SSU developer
kernel-power developer and maintainer

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
Thanks to all who responded.

So typical of this community... I try to give up, but nooooo, now I have to try again :-) , and you've convinced me, I'll try again tonight.

In short, I tried everything (and read the threads, so I think I'm up to date). U-Boot without CSSU Thumb works, but if I have CSSU Thumb installed it doesn't, and I need to flash the kernel as otherwise it goes into a reboot loop. Granted, I've never tried installing U-Boot first, as the first thing I do after reflash is to set up CSSU. I also played around quite a bit with Backupmenu, so that might be a culprit as well (I did always remove it prior to U-boot install, but still...).

So consider this thread closed, I'll probably be asking for help in the U-Boot and CSSU Thumb threads respectively, that is the right place to do so. And again, thanks for the morale boost.

Probably a little late, but has anyone found a sure-fire way for cssu and uboot to coexist? I'd love to run dual boot cssu and arch

The Following User Says Thank You to badcloud For This Useful Post:

Tags
cssu thumb2, nokia n900, u-boot