Posts: 308 | Thanked: 299 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Graveyard
Samsung today launched another smartphone in its Galaxy series, called the Galaxy Grand. This device has a 5-inch screen with a WVGA TFT LCD screen. Samsung announced the release of the phone in a press release here.

Samsung will launch two versions of the device. The dual-SIM version will be launched first GT-I9082 followed by the single SIM version GT-I9080. In the dual-SIM version Samsung promises total communication flexibility, which allows users to manage two phone numbers from a single phone. It is possible to receive calls on one SIM number while taking a call from the other, ensuring efficient management of personal and work commitments without ever missing a call.

Key features of the device are:
• It has an 8 megapixel rear camera and 2 megapixel front camera.
• It runs Android 4.1.2 aka Jelly Bean.
• It has 1.2 Ghz dual-core processor along with 1GB RAM. The device has 8GB memory space and supports a MicroSD card and is expandable upto 64GB.
• It supports Bluetooth 4.0 and 4G LTE.

Samsung has not yet revealed the price or the launch date of the device. Hopefully it will be a mid-range device.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Yesterdays news

Seems to be a great device. No the latest and greatest. But most users don't need the horse powers.

Not so expensive! great move. Its something like this jolla should release. or why not as a tizen device.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Finally, a SMARTPHONE that has both sims activated simultaneously. Not for me though (rather stay with 'pure' linux), but for my parents :P

Props to Samsung for keeping with removable storage.

Posts: 308 | Thanked: 299 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Graveyard
But hey, it comes with a 5 inch WVGA dispay. 480p is too bad for a 5 inch screen I guess? It might spoil the UX.

[EDIT] At the same time, HTC cancelled a 5 inch 1080p phone since WP8 doesn't support full HD.
http://wmpoweruser.com/5-inch-htc-wi...set-cancelled/ [/EDIT]

Last edited by ranbaxy; 2012-12-19 at 10:54.

Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
Originally Posted by Akkumaru View Post
Finally, a SMARTPHONE that has both sims activated simultaneously. Not for me though (rather stay with 'pure' linux), but for my parents :P
Yup its a phone for older people hence the low-res so that things seem large enough for them to read...