I just received an N800 super cheap to play with, and the only defect I see is the LCD has dual images. One is real dim and the other one is the correct image. This is annoying but the purpose I got this is to play with it, dig it apart and hopefully fix it. Is this an LCD defect, or is it the video driver? The 'down' button on the right side is also ignored. There is no visible damage on the exterior, so it seems to have never been plunged. I will probably attempt to disassemble it, but is the disassembly convoluted, as in iPod and iPhone? or is it relatively simple.

Posts: 81 | Thanked: 50 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ The Great White North
Originally Posted by choyak View Post
I just received an N800 super cheap to play with, and the only defect I see is the LCD has dual images. One is real dim and the other one is the correct image. This is annoying but the purpose I got this is to play with it, dig it apart and hopefully fix it. Is this an LCD defect, or is it the video driver? The 'down' button on the right side is also ignored. There is no visible damage on the exterior, so it seems to have never been plunged. I will probably attempt to disassemble it, but is the disassembly convoluted, as in iPod and iPhone? or is it relatively simple.
The "ghosting" is caused by a loose cable or a bad solder connection. Same with the dead down key. Disassembly is NOT fun.There was a post somewhere on here wih YouTube videos from about 4-6 years ago.

Best of luck!

may be previous owner liked lot of lubrication in a private moments?

sorry could not help it.

Men! you got and N800 with a 3D screen!!
No seriusly, that can be caused because they left the screen turned on for very long time and the image got stick on the lcd, like the problems that happen some time ago with the CRT monitors, but the LCD should'nt have that problem.

Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya
Opening the n800 is relatively easy, see here:
http://tabletblog.com/2007/01/nokia-...eassembly.html
what won't be so easy is fixing the display: it could be the flat cable, the video controller or the lcd itself.
If it's just a bad soldering point (I doubt it) you could probably fix it, but anything else and you're probably not going to find replacement parts.
Good luck.

Originally Posted by JorgeFX View Post
Men! you got and N800 with a 3D screen!!
No seriusly, that can be caused because they left the screen turned on for very long time and the image got stick on the lcd, like the problems that happen some time ago with the CRT monitors, but the LCD should'nt have that problem.
It's called "Screen Burn In".
Doesn't happen with LCD screens (well it does, but it's hardly noticable over time). That's one of the benefits of LCD for bank ATMs which are left on 24/7, and the reason why they say a screen saver on an LCD monitor is more eye candy than functional.

With LCD you're dealing with liquid, not light. The only light in an LCD is the backlighting.

Plasma screens are bad for screen burn, and get this, your shiny new AMOLED screens are far worse than plasma.

Last edited by stickymick; 2011-07-10 at 09:21.