Posts: 1,503 | Thanked: 2,688 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Denmark
Originally Posted by independent View Post
2x questions to those with dual batteries:

Using a Nokia 1A AC charger (not dk-frosts external charging setup) how long does it take to get a full battery? I was wondering because if the charging profile tapers off and having double the capacity wouldn't that add significantly to getting a full charge?

Sorry if it's been mentioned before and I've missed it.

Also, has anyone checked for cell balance after a significant period of use?

My main concern..

TIA
about double charging time, and cell balancing is not an issue when connect in parrell, this only applies to series connected battery's, believe me this is something i know something about since all my EV's use battery's without BMS so i let my icharger 208 do it, but once every 2 months approx i balance my 8s2p Headway 24V32AH battery myself.

The Following User Says Thank You to dr_frost_dk For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by independent View Post

Using a Nokia 1A AC charger (not dk-frosts external charging setup) how long does it take to get a full battery? I was wondering because if the charging profile tapers off and having double the capacity wouldn't that add significantly to getting a full charge?
Charging chip does charging cap itself, based on voltage and what battery accepts. So, it's exactly as optimized for charging 300 mA battery, as 3000 or 10000 mAh.It just works as it should, out of the box, without any drawbacks.

As for charging from shutdown to full, for my ~3400 mAh battery, it's about 4 hours total, and 3 hours fast-charging*. Just keep in mind, that I use 1250 mA max charging current, as opposed to vanilla 950 mA. To do this, you need Pali's bme replacement beta, or properly modified charge.sh script.

As for balancing, dr_frost_dk is right, it doesn't affect parallel, only serial. in theory, we should use identical batteries of comparable age (thus comparable capacity and physical parameters), but parallel is so "forgiving", that people even did hybrids like 1400 mA battery + 1000 mA one, without drawbacks (still, getting about 2400 mA solid capacity and no drawbacks). Such things would be killer for serial, due to reverse voltage appearing on weakest cell, but parallel don't care.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
after having my n900 for 2+years I'm more than happy with it than I've ever been (there's just no other alternative for me, I might even get a second one)

I'm considering getting a big mugen battery, or another option is to buy from one of you guys who make these dual cell mods

does anyone here sell their dual cells? sorry if I missed this question, I would need it with a mugen cover too since they don't sell them seperately

Last edited by lonk; 2013-06-25 at 11:11.

I've unused (new as in, well, new) mugen cover in my drawer, and two bluedream scud's which I could turn into dual-cell and sell, if you're willing to. if You're based on Europe, it may be beneficial for you, over china purchase. Pm me if interested.
---

Re mugen-cover - you may be interested to do this mod:
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=799

...or I can do it before sending, if you don't feel comfortable with ripping fresh-bought mugen cover apart.. It's may be not most beautiful thing in the world, but works exceptionally well, at least for me, with zero problems during extended usage for years, now.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,417 | Thanked: 2,619 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Touring
Would posting .stl 3D files for double-Scud battery covers be useful, is there anyone with a 3D printer to print for themselves or to distribute? If there is interest post to the thread or PM me if I don't respond after a few days.
Lonk, I think Mugen sells(or they used to) the battery covers for $5 if you contact them directly, this is how I bought one of mine, they also used to sell them on Ebay 2 for $10 as "extended battery cover for N900".

Last edited by biketool; 2013-07-05 at 16:18.

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
There is a link and instructions in the first post to buy the Mugen cover. There is apparently a trick to it. read the post. But gone are the times of getting 2 for $10. The current price is too prohibitive for the likes of me.

Last time I checked, price was 15$. They've, basically, stopped prohibiting non-mugen battery customers, but increased price.

BTW, two for 10$? I must have missed something, the cheapest I got was 10$ for one (but they have increased price quickly).

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Last time I checked, price was 15$. They've, basically, stopped prohibiting non-mugen battery customers, but increased price.

BTW, two for 10$? I must have missed something, the cheapest I got was 10$ for one (but they have increased price quickly).

/Estel
The variety here in Germany seems to be a little limited. I think i need some time to find the appropriate one ...

Peter

The Following User Says Thank You to PEB For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,417 | Thanked: 2,619 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Touring
I bought my Mugen batt doors 2for$10 about 9mo ago on ebay and a single door from Mugen without needing any numbers, I might have called them on the phone to fix order issues, for $5+shipping a bit over a year ago. I think we are at the point that Mugen just wants to get some $$ out of their old N900 stock.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,503 | Thanked: 2,688 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Denmark
another battery "hack" also a good memory boost we could do also
http://hackaday.com/2013/07/12/galax...-standby-time/

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dr_frost_dk For This Useful Post:

Tags
battery, battery test, best battery, good bad ugly, modding, mugen battery, scud battery, tool got banned, yasirrfc