Notices

I noticed SDLMAME in the devel repository, anyone tried it? also how do you install games for it?

Posts: 36 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Austin, TX
I installed it, got some fatal error. I was going to look into it further/file a bug report when I had a bit more time. Right now, doesn't seem usable.

EDIT: As far installing games, you need to grab ROM dumps of the desired game (which, of course, you already own the game itself or have gotten permission to use it ) and load it in the application. Most MAME frontends allow you to pick there the ROMs are located, but it seems to be hard-coded to expect ROMs to be at /opt/sdlmame/roms [1]

Last edited by bmouring; 2009-12-20 at 12:15.

Posts: 116 | Thanked: 86 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ New Orleans, LA, USA
so does it work if the roms are properly placed? I get the illegal instruction error when trying it from the console, I have a few small roms, but I didn't relink them from the SD card yet

Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
No, it still needs some work before it will be ready. I have been posting updates (such as they are) in the big emulators thread. When it reaches the point of usability, i'll make a new thread to announce it.

Note that this is a bit unusual in that it's a latest-release port of MAME. Most of the popular MAME derivatives are based on much older versions, which is fine--they run all the games anyone would care to or be able to on their system--it's just not what i wanted to do. Someone else may port one of those at some point.

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Flandry For This Useful Post:
Posts: 305 | Thanked: 71 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ 'Nam
I really hope mame gets ported to the n900! That would be great can't wait to see this in extras

hecka hecka sweet that a recent version is being ported though!

Thank you for your efforts-

dcarter (typing from a sick new N900)

any news on mame?

Posts: 36 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Austin, TX
Originally Posted by tobyax View Post
any news on mame?
You may be interested in following this thread.

Short answer: progress has been made but there's still work that can be done to improve things.

The Following User Says Thank You to bmouring For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Flandry View Post
No, it still needs some work before it will be ready. I have been posting updates (such as they are) in the big emulators thread. When it reaches the point of usability, i'll make a new thread to announce it.

Note that this is a bit unusual in that it's a latest-release port of MAME. Most of the popular MAME derivatives are based on much older versions, which is fine--they run all the games anyone would care to or be able to on their system--it's just not what i wanted to do. Someone else may port one of those at some point.

Does this mean I could in theory play Starblade on the move?!?!!?