Notices

Posts: 64 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ abuja, nigeria (currently)
Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
when I say word processor, I mean something like Abiword, not Joe, Nano, Emacs, etc.
I did apologize in advance and put 3 smileys on it .... but anyway, on the subject but off the thread, how does the one on http://www.maemo.org.br/ work? can it be re-compiled for e.g. 2007 os?

rob.

Posts: 231 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Singapore
I think ctorrent works pretty fine for me. No fancy GUI but gets the job done, not to mention it is very customisable too.

I manage to download a 200mb file with it just fine. Resuming works great too. However, when i tried to download a 700mb movie, it doesn't seem to work. I never tried it again after that one time, so i can't say it's broken, might be just my luck.

Posts: 43 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Vancouver, WA
ctorrent...did you compile from source on the n800?(is that even possible?) or do you have to sandbox it and then copy it over to the n800?

Huck needs some torrent action too

http://internettablets.googlepages.com/enhancedctorrent

Please do a brief search before asking questions that have already been asked and answered.

I would love to have a gui bittorrent app, I hope one comes along soon.

Right now it is pretty trivial to port ncurses/command line type apps, so you see a lot of direct ports of stuff like ctorrent. It takes considerably more effort to port anything with a gui, as it generally needs to be "hildonized"/addapted to the N800's non standard UI. As to the memory/horse power issue, I have run Torrent clients on far less capable devices. There are even some wireless routers that come with Torrent clients built in (usually the ones that have a USB port for NAS type applications as well).

Right now, it is all about convincing developers that they should spend some of their free time on porting x, y and z to the N800. A lot of developers seem to like to spend their spare coding time playing around with fun stuff like porting an emulator or writing a music player, but nobody ever seems to want to develop a word processor. So, multiple years after the introduction of Maemo, we have Quake 2, Mame, NES and FreeCiv, but we still don't have a decent word processor...
Yes becasue when I think word processor I think VERY small, keyboard less, hand held device...

don't get me wrong I'm all for getting anything you can to run on the thing but it'd only be a pain to use in the end for anything requiring more then a paragraph or so. And while I've yet to try it google.docs is said to now work with the new browser, from an internet device that's good enough for me (but I don't use and word processor for for then a few mins at a time to take this with a grain of salt...

on topic: and bit torrent uses a lot of read writes (not good for the memory cards) it's better for the card to download it on your computer and then transfer it over

Last edited by SomeoneE1se; 2007-07-20 at 05:24. Reason: adding a bit more

Well, a smart torrent client would cache the data in ram until it has a reasonable chunk to write. A lot of the more mature desktop clients have this option. The only problem being that the N800 and particularly the 770 are ram challenged devices. I hope the next generation of hardware doesn't slack on the ram and has a scalable/higher clockrate and video adapter decent enough to chew through decoding high bitrate/resolution video.

Well, a smart torrent client would cache the data in ram until it has a reasonable chunk to write. A lot of the more mature desktop clients have this option. The only problem being that the N800 and particularly the 770 are ram challenged devices. I hope the next generation of hardware doesn't slack on the ram and has a scalable/higher clockrate and video adapter decent enough to chew through decoding high bitrate/resolution video.
faster, better, stronger, cheaper, smaller, lighter.

and good bit torrent clinet would take up way to much space... it's a web device get utorrent+webGUI or azuerus+webGUI and if you want a quik web way to access your torrent files...

http://www.rejetto.com/hfs/

really good upload and download GUI start up the file create a user drag you .torrent dir in to the main gui, enable uploads, and then your torrent data dir and done

Posts: 231 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Singapore
The cache size for ctorrent can be set when running the program.

Anyway, i'm sure it'd be trivial to create a python GUI for the ctorrent client.

Also, from my experience, anything below 500 mb will work very well on the N800.

Originally Posted by SomeoneE1se View Post
Yes becasue when I think word processor I think VERY small, keyboard less, hand held device...
... unless you have a Bluetooth keyboard. Surely given that, when travelling light, you might want to create real WYSIWYG documents.