Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Personally I felt Dave did a bang-up job and I for one received plenty of reminders. But I can't assume that applied across the board, although I do believe he made the effort.
Yes, a good bang-up job. I did not receive plenty of reminders though. Maybe you were on the maemo.org community mailing list or other list? I recommend that plenty of reminders be sent to the member's profile's email address.

The Following User Says Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Ok, fair enough, and good idea IMO.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
"Can you explain please how the election was illegitimate?"

Note that I said "basically illegitimate."

It was basically illegitimate because it was carried out on the Maemo site, and those elected supposedly represented a large number of people on the ITT site. This is somewhat like having an election for California legislators in Arizona. Sure, anyone could go to Arizona and vote, but the way to get an accurate vote on what the people in California think would be to have the elections in California.

Since only a tiny number of people voted, as I understand it, who do those people represent? At best, they represent some people who were active on the Maemo site. I don't see how it can be held that they represent anyone from the ITT site.

Basically, this was a coup.

Posts: 26 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Amsterdam
Originally Posted by BrentDC View Post
It almost, to me, seems that the Maemo Community Council has polarized the community. To my understanding, the council is supposed to represent us to Nokia but it almost seems quite the other way around.

Because council voting has been so extremely low -- and only representative of a small segment of the community -- it seems that the biggest Maemo/maemo enthusiasts have been elected.
To me, the whole system is broken.
On a personal level and as Council member I miss most of the discussions on this forum. I regret that I was chosen on personal level and not because of an agenda. Without going into to much into details my life would be easier if I simply had a list of tasks that I could perform or a list of "important" things TODO. I will spend my time on the Summit and hope you will enjoy it.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to keesj For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,605 | Thanked: 1,601 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Southern California
Originally Posted by penguinbait View Post
I try to get council to move to one form of communication for ALL COUNCIL business...immediately met with stiff opposition.
Please remember that I agreed to this (I'm not going to link).

Originally Posted by penguinbait View Post
I try to get council to have a special way to involve the community in some decisions that effect the entire community.
Unfortunately, I got busy and forgot to do this last week:

http://lists.maemo.org/pipermail/mae...ay/003865.html

Likewise, from the start (and this refers to what Kees wrote), we (the first Council) asked for direction from the community and actually received very little. Recently, with the maemo.org/itT/Talk redesign -- despite all of the arguments -- this is finally happening. This is a good thing.

Feel free to add requests to the Council wiki or email maemo-community@maemo.org.

Thanks,
Tim

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to timsamoff For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
About the Council, I personally think that most people is giving too much importance to it. I really wonder why. It seems almost a paradox that the ones less happy about the Council seem to be the ones "giving" more powers to it. However, most topics can be discussed, agreed, and executed without needing any Council at all. Just like before the Council existed.
I find some of the anti-Council ranting to be bizarre. As far as I can tell, the small amount of "power" that the Council has (read the April sprint meeting logs and the subsequent fallout on various public channels for that particular can of worms) doesn't have anything to do with these forums nor really anything to do with telling the community what to do or how to do it.

The whole Council thing is a "labour of love" for all of us. There are really no benefits for the current council members. This year's Summit falls outside of our term, so no dinner with Ari, and we were all very involved community members before, so we probably would have been just as likely to receive any "developer discounts," event invitations, or whatever if we had stayed "private citizens". Actually, the Fremantle Stars and Mer developers are getting all the swag / junket love these days. You want to get sponsored trips or something? Go help developing Mer. Don't be jealous of the council members.

If there are people out there who are not convinced by what I'm saying here, then I'm looking forward to the next elections. I'm hoping the biggest dissenters will run, and I promise I will vote for them. They will discover just how much "power" we council members have. And it will be fun seeing a council full of former dissenters suddenly discovering that they're "the man" now and they were tilting at windmills and punching straw men the whole time.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by timsamoff View Post
from the start (and this refers to what Kees wrote), we (the first Council) asked for direction from the community and actually received very little.
Correct me if I am wrong, but openness was indicated and therefore there would have been no reason to provide input at the start asking for openness...

The Following User Says Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by qole View Post
I find some of the anti-Council ranting to be bizarre. As far as I can tell, the small amount of "power" that the Council has (read the April sprint meeting logs and the subsequent fallout on various public channels for that particular can of worms) doesn't have anything to do with these forums nor really anything to do with telling the community what to do or how to do it.
I hope my comments were not construed in this light. The gist is that there has been *some* undue animosity expressed and not by all council reps. I defer back to Quim's agreement that sometimes quick replies should not be made so quickly. That's applicable though across the board and I am working to eat my own dog food.

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,605 | Thanked: 1,601 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Southern California
Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
Correct me if I am wrong, but openness was indicated and therefore there would have been no reason to provide input at the start asking for openness...
Sorry if my non-developer brain is confused by this.

Maemo.org has always been "open." The Council was asking for "direction."

Tim

Originally Posted by qole View Post
Don't be jealous of the council members
Finally, an action item I can handle.

Tags
change, community, engagement, growth, infighting, polarization