Posts: 3,328 | Thanked: 4,476 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
What's wrong with having lots of libraries in the repos: it doesn't have any downsides - size.dynamic <= size.static

And you don't have out of date libs statically

Projects no longer actively developed: here

The Following User Says Thank You to marmistrz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,067 | Thanked: 2,383 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Finland
Originally Posted by marmistrz View Post
What's wrong with having lots of libraries in the repos: it doesn't have any downsides - size.dynamic <= size.static

And you don't have out of date libs statically
Someone needs to keep the libraries up-to-date, so if your willing to update your favourite library few times a month for the next few years, then your welcomed to donate your time to mer-project. Good libraries are always welcomed, the problem is to find active maintainers to all the libs.

If there are thousands of outdated libraries that doesn't compile anymore, for example when gcc toolchain or glibc updates, then you are easily in a mess.
Disclaimer: all my posts in this forum are personal trolling and I never post in any official capacity on behalf of any company.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rainisto For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,012 | Thanked: 817 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ France
Originally Posted by rcolistete View Post
But developers want and need freedom and options. Let remember that many Python mobile developers have only some hours per week or month to develop as a hobby, so if there are tools easier to migrate (from Maemo/MeeGo/PC) to Sailfish, they will want them. Some of the Python softwares could be developed in C/C++, but then it would take more developing time and some would not be finished at all.

And please, stop saying mobile Python developers are lazy. They contributed and will contribute with a lot of free and open source softwares for Maemo, MeeGo, Sailfish, etc.
I'm a python dev, and i'm lazy .... I found that making cross plateform apps is easier with pyotherside (or at least a fork i made of an old version (but don't use it !))

But yes having also PyQt is a good things !

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Khertan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 513 | Thanked: 651 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Sweden
Originally Posted by rainisto View Post
Someone needs to keep the libraries up-to-date, so if your willing to update your favourite library few times a month for the next few years, then your welcomed to donate your time to mer-project. Good libraries are always welcomed, the problem is to find active maintainers to all the libs.

If there are thousands of outdated libraries that doesn't compile anymore, for example when gcc toolchain or glibc updates, then you are easily in a mess.
Well, libs aren't updated that often, but you're right that they don't package themselves. And last time I checked Sailfish used gcc-4.6.x and glibc-2.15 which are pretty old ... but next time there's a major update to gcc/glibc it's common sense to rebuild every package of the distribution. But I'd wager most (if not all) package maintainers already know this.
But the WM7 "horse" has a blood lineage tracing back to donkeys such as WM6.5, 6.1, 6.0, 5.1 that was fully neglected for too many years and Microsoft did sweet F all to maintain it (still running on Pocket IE4/6!!).

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by xerxes2 View Post
Well, libs aren't updated that often, but you're right that they don't package themselves. And last time I checked Sailfish used gcc-4.6.x and glibc-2.15 which are pretty old ... but next time there's a major update to gcc/glibc it's common sense to rebuild every package of the distribution. But I'd wager most (if not all) package maintainers already know this.
You can't compare GCC on X86 with ARM GCC there is plenty of reasons to be carefully when upgrade those.

And when they do all libs has to be recompiled and that is probadly not as easy as when done on a X86.

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2013-10-14 at 18:54.

Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Regarding the rebuilding of libraries, Sailfish is based on Mer, which uses the Open Build Service to build everything.

OBS makes re/building stuff for multiple architectures very easy once you have all the targets, builders and related infrastructure setup.
You basically just upload a new source tarball & a spec file and the package and all packages depending on it are automatically rebuilt.

It also supports personal side subprojects and sending packages between project with a review step. Sou you can for example configure your own subproject against the Mer core repo, make sure your library builds fine on all the Mer architecture target and then send submit the package for review.

So while ARM indeed is currently more prone for exotic build failures, the rebuilding logistics itself should not be an issue for Sailfish due to OBS.

PS.: I kinda expect that once a Sailfish device is publicly released that either a public Sailfish OBS shows up or a Sailfish target will be added to the Mer OBS. Like the Harmattan target on the late COBS.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
#SailfishOS SDK upgrade comming Today 13.00 UTC

from mailinglist:

Hello again,

Today 13:00 UTC we will publish new installers and repositories for our SailfishOS SDK, Alpha-Qt5-update2 to be exact.
If you have Alpha-Qt5 you should see updates available icon in Qt Creator. If you don't have SailfishOS SDK installed, you can get the latest installers from www.sailfishos.org.

This update is a major step before the launch of the Jolla device as it brings ARM package building to developers.

A couple of things you should be aware of:
- In this update the build engine, emulator and targets are re-installed so you will lose any changes you may have made in those - however, if your application packaging is done correctly, rebuilding your projects should reinstall the packages you have been using.
- All customizations done to SDK (adding new zypper repositories, adding custom targets, additional source paths) will be removed during installation process so make your own backup of those before starting the update.
- If you import existing project made with a previous version of the SailfishOS SDK, make sure you select the correct kit in project configuration step. Both ARM and i486 kits will now be available.
- Windows users need to install VC10 runtime from http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl...n.aspx?id=8328 or Installer will ask for admin rights during installation.
- For more information, please see SDK Alpha-Qt5 known issues list at: https://sailfishos.org/wiki/SDK_Alpha_Qt5_Known_Issues

Update itself is performed like the previous one using SDK Maintenance tool with three following steps:
1. maintenance tool itself is updated first. In SailfishOS SDK IDE click on help->start updater->next->next->Update
2. maintenance tool needs to restarted to update the rest of the SDK, click Restart on the UI.
3. once updater has restarted, it asks for the next action, just click Next to proceed ('Update components' is selected by default). Updater lists all the items that are being updated, click Next->Update to proceed.

Here's the release note for this update:

SailfishOS SDK IDE:
* Qt Creator updated to 2.8.1 version.
* Building RPM packages for ARM target is introduced. This is done by selecting ARM kit and running deployment. Deployment to real ARM devices is not supported yet.
* MerSDK VM starts without UI (if MerSDK is to be accessed, UI can be activated from tools->options->mer menu)
* If MerSDK VM is running when Qt Creator is shut down - a prompt is displayed to close it.
* QML profiling is enabled.

Templates/examples:
* SailfishOS application template is updated. The current template does not have so-called boilerplate and is easier to use.
* SailfishOS application examples are updated to build with the latest template.

SDK Maintenance Tool:
* Whole installer framework is based on version 1.4.
* bug fixes, no new functionality.

Documentation:
* Documentations are updated with latest available versions.

Build Engine:
* Support for ARM target introduced
* Support to deploy to emulator using PackageKit
* Lots of fixes to build toolchain.

SailfishOS Emulator:
* Emulator is built from updated Jolla baseline.
* QML profiling support introduced.
* Bug in QML debugging fixed.
* Emulator screen size matches the upcoming Jolla phone.
* Application icon texts are displayed when application grid is pushed up.

SailfishOS Target(s):
* ARM target introduced.
* Both i486 and ARM target builds done on updated Jolla baseline.

If you encounter any issues, please report them to Sailfish developers mailing list at devel@lists.sailfishos.org

Happy hacking!

Best regards,
Jolla Sailfish SDK Team

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Yeah it's a nice update, but didn't some repo disappear in the process? I had wget before without much ado but now I had to hunt it down in some nemo devel repo. Other than that it seems to work just fine.

Edit:
Code:
zypper ar http://repo.merproject.org/obs/nemo:/devel:/apps/latest_i586/nemo:devel:apps.repo
But the WM7 "horse" has a blood lineage tracing back to donkeys such as WM6.5, 6.1, 6.0, 5.1 that was fully neglected for too many years and Microsoft did sweet F all to maintain it (still running on Pocket IE4/6!!).

Last edited by xerxes2; 2013-10-22 at 20:29.

Originally Posted by xerxes2 View Post
Yeah it's a nice update, but didn't some repo disappear in the process? I had wget before without much ado but now I had to hunt it down in some nemo devel repo. Other than that it seems to work just fine.

Edit:
Code:
zypper ar http://repo.merproject.org/obs/nemo:/devel:/apps/latest_i586/nemo:devel:apps.repo
yeah some wierdness in the X86 target qmsystem5 failed for me to install but when I installed qmsystem5-devel it seems to work..

also the emulator does not have sound anymore. Or maybe I forgot that I tweeked VM to get that too work last time hmm

Your sound problem could be because you're not using pulseaudio! Try to switch to alsa instead, it's a switch in vbox.

And damn the gui is slooooow for me. Is it possible to make it faster somehow. install some drivers or something ...

The Following User Says Thank You to xerxes2 For This Useful Post: