Posts: 355 | Thanked: 245 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ Northern VA
Originally Posted by myk View Post
Now the N86 is a real camera. Unlike N82/N900 it has a mechanical shutter and variable aperture. Still not as good as a $99 Canon, but could be a big improvement.
Huh, I've owned the N82, N86, and N900. I sold the N86 to get the N900. Why, because the N86 didn't take that much drastically better shots than the N82, slighty better during the day, but at night forget about it. The N82 Xenon's flash is such a beast, in fact my replacement N900 arrives today, and I have been using my N82 while waiting. It's one phone I'll never get rid of. If I'm going out with friends and tearing the town up, I'm not taking the N900, I'll just take my N82 for those Hangover esque random pics.

Posts: 141 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Brasil
I photographed a text in macro mode and was blurred and out of focus, so I tried to landscape mode with a 30 cm distance ... and was much better. Nothing as good as the pictures with the N82, but it is unable to read the text photographed.

Posts: 194 | Thanked: 207 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bristol, UK
... I've just had a go at photographing an A4 page of text with macro mode on my n900 and it was crystal clear ... (and I have shaky hands and have issues with camera shake on my main camera) ... am currently sat in beautiful daylight however with that low winter sun bouncing off ooodles of snow ... what kind of lighting conditions are you trying in?

Originally Posted by EmmaGx View Post
... I've just had a go at photographing an A4 page of text with macro mode on my n900 and it was crystal clear ... (and I have shaky hands and have issues with camera shake on my main camera) ... am currently sat in beautiful daylight however with that low winter sun bouncing off ooodles of snow ... what kind of lighting conditions are you trying in?
Here is clear and not use flash or red-eye reduction. I think the problem would not be lighting, but the auto-focus lens. For in Macro mode can not focus up close, but in landscape you see even small print, I think there must be something wrong. Or not?

Originally Posted by maya View Post
. (I'm a realtor here in Brazil) so the camera needs to be really good, because I need to constantly photographing properties and documents.
If you know of any application that solves this, please let me know.
You're a realtor and you're expecting to use a phone camera to photograph properies? I don't know how it works in Brazil but if somebody turned up at my house with anything less than a decent DLSR with a wide angle lens I'd kick their arse out of my house and swicth agents.

Seriously you should be using the right tools for the job.

Originally Posted by wizbowes View Post
You're a realtor and you're expecting to use a phone camera to photograph properies? I don't know how it works in Brazil but if somebody turned up at my house with anything less than a decent DLSR with a wide angle lens I'd kick their arse out of my house and swicth agents.

Seriously you should be using the right tools for the job.
Yes friend, I currently use an N82 and I guarantee that the photos are very good. I have a camera Fuji, but not take it with me, because the result is practically the same.
I bought the N900 seeking convenience, it will be great also no longer need to carry the notebook where to go to send emails and photos to my clients.

Posts: 194 | Thanked: 207 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bristol, UK
Here is clear and not use flash or red-eye reduction. I think the problem would not be lighting, but the auto-focus lens. For in Macro mode can not focus up close, but in landscape you see even small print, I think there must be something wrong. Or not?
... have you managed to take an in focus photos in macro mode? ... I've managed to take a few out of focus pics in macro, but on the whole they've come out well ... are you sure you aren't holding the camera too close to the object? ... even in macro mode I think there's a minimum distance to focus adequatly ...

Originally Posted by EmmaGx View Post
... have you managed to take an in focus photos in macro mode? ... I've managed to take a few out of focus pics in macro, but on the whole they've come out well ... are you sure you aren't holding the camera too close to the object? ... even in macro mode I think there's a minimum distance to focus adequatly ...
yes, I will do some more tests and then I present the photos for you to examine.

Posts: 293 | Thanked: 76 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Fremantle, W. Australia
. I think the problem would not be lighting, but the auto-focus lens.
Autofocus works well for me, including macro, with or without LED. You do realise it is a 2-stage button?

Gently press the button until you hear a soft click and see the green square. If the camera cannot find focus it will be red. Then press harder to take the photo. All the same as a regular camera.

oops - this was all explained on page 1 or the thread.

If you just hit the camera button hard, it will not auto-focus. I suppose you could file a bug report on that, as regular cameras will still try to autofocus when you do that, but it adds a delay. The N900 assumes the operator is smarter.

And how on earth can you take real-estate photos without a wide-angle lens? No interior shots?

Last edited by myk; 2010-01-07 at 14:28.

Posts: 293 | Thanked: 76 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Fremantle, W. Australia
Originally Posted by maxximuscool View Post
N95 has mechanical shutter also. You can hear it opening and closing but not when you taking picture.
Are you sure? its not in the spec's.
Are you referring to the fake shutter sounds from the speaker? :-)

The shutter in a digital camera is normally open, and just closes briefly after the shot is taken, while the image is read from the CCD (or CMOS?).
You would see a flicker inside the lens, possibly between the elements. It may be combined with a variable aperture mechanism.

Tags
camera, focus, fremantle, image quality, lack of quality control, maemo, maemo 5, n900, photo, photo quality, photograph, photography, picture, quality