Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
So, you see no difference between a series vague predictions by random, mostly low post count, denizens of an obscure Internet forum who claim know "this Nokia dude" and an increasing (unintentionally) humorous series of official ship dates announced in official press releases, etc. by representatives of a game developer itself?
Are you trying to tell me that Nokia HAS been silent, and thus bolstering my point about how that doesn't instill confidence? I mean.. I could go either way on that. The only definitely satisfying thing would be giving brand-faithful and possible customers an idea of what and when you're trying to deliver something that they might want to vomit cash all over. ...right now, there seems like a lot of belly-aching over it and there's liable to be vomit in SOME direction. I hope Nokia intends to have a bucket ready soon.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Are you trying to tell me that Nokia HAS been silent...
No. You wrote that you've read again and again that the next tablet was due "soon" and likened those "missed" dates to those of Duke Nukem Forever. I'm pointing out that since the release of the N810 WiMAX Edition, the only tablet release date Nokia has given is "a Maemo 5 device in 2009". Any other date prediction you've seen has been wishful thinking by, well, unofficial sources (read: fanboys, wackos, and trolls).

As to silence, Nokia has told us more about this tablet earlier than any previous model, and you've been pointed in the direction of that information repeatedly. No, it's not shiny press photos or blurry pix on Engadget. If that's all that matters to you, then wait longer or buy something else.

Really, if you have money burning a hole in your pocket, and you need to buy your yearly gadget-for-the-point-of-gadgeting now, go buy something and have fun. The RX-51 will go on sale sometime later this year, and if it suits your gadget lust next year, when money is burning a hole in your pocket again, you can pick one up. You'll even save yourself from paying the initial, bleed the "gotta be the first to unbox one" sucker price.

None of us will cry. Promise.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
You do realize that there's an enormous number of people who were not at the show, and probably a slightly smaller number of people who neither there nor have seen that video.
Yes, of course. I was wondering if you were in that group (certainly the majority of the Maemo Community was not there) as it would strengthen my theory.

But, I did follow along in forums and there's very little official word from Nokia that I've been able to to see on their own sites that can give me much faith--or let me give the people around me much faith that there's a new product worth waiting for coming out at some unambiguous era in time.
No new specific device has been announced. However, we were there, we're telling you what the people directly involved in the next release of Maemo, and its associated lead device, were telling us. The videos are on the Internet. The presentations are on the Internet. The content has been reported on Ars Technica and Engadget.

Finally, the Fremantle roadmap was created by Quim Gil, and he's the main editor of it.

Mid(ish)-2009 may be a little late for someone holding onto money that might end up going to some other gadget that satisfies the need for something newer and faster. This is not for Nokia and is a gamble for Maemo depending on what that new gadget may be.
Of course. But that's not silence, that's a side effect of having a powerful device based on a fairly new chip.

I'm starting to eye a mini9 more and more every day, lately, but I'd preferred waiting for the new Nokia device or the Pandora.. and they're both looking to be about as vapour as each other--maybe less so the Pandora where they're at least showing the progress they're making along the way and explaining the hold-up.. but seeing as how they've NEVER released a product yet and Nokia has, at least, then it's still entirely possible that it'll end up being vapour.
Sorry? Pandora is being produced by some well intentioned guys who really don't have an idea about the logistics of what they're trying to do (or didn't when they started). Nokia are gearing up to deliver the fourth iteration of the internet tablet line, running a new Maemo OS.

Pandora has been slipping its dates continually, with one excuse (sorry, reason) being followed by another. This is one of the reasons Nokia and Apple don't often pre-announce hardware, things can go wrong. Although, Nokia and Apple don't start redesigning the case at every turn.

If anyone else used to be in the Acorn scene, Pandora reminds me of the continual "we're working on a RISC OS laptop/Omega, and we're really close to releasing it; but we've got a hiccup with the case/PSU/battery/screen/PCB manufacturer."

Anyway--I'm just very frustrated with the waiting and the people I know around me are venting similarly (just got an email as recently as two days ago from a coworker that briefly vented)
Perhaps educate them as to what's coming?

Nokia is missing the boat here, if they don't do something sooner than later.
Nokia is doing something. It's just not the something you want, or at the speed you want. (I want them to be releasing a $99 tablet, with a 1024x600 screen with limited bezel, the thickness of an iPod Touch, with the power of a 2GHz Intel Core Duo, the interface of an iPhone, the openness of Mer and the battery life of a Psion Series 3)

However, you can't accuse them of silence, when they're being more open than ever; and you can't accuse them of doing nothing when they've set our expectations for a new device.

Last edited by Jaffa; 2009-02-28 at 00:16. Reason: Add disambiguating Omega link

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Well, stirring the pot by myself being a pain in the arse with these questions here to get a few thing out helps a bit but it's still hard to educate them on what's coming if they ask 'what?' and 'when?' again.

I'm just having a hard time being convinced that maemo and Freemantle have anything to do with the 'when' of a new Nokia product (maaaaybe the what), seeing as how I don't get to see it running on anything and I'm being asked to believe what's being told to me by the maemo folks and not from Nokia--which doesn't necessarily have to have a 1:1 relationship.

Still, thanks for patiently putting up and constructively pointing me to the info you've gotten.

Last edited by danramos; 2009-02-28 at 00:23.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
Any other date prediction you've seen has been wishful thinking by, well, unofficial sources (read: fanboys, wackos, and trolls)
I take offence at being grouped with fanboys and trolls!

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 610 | Thanked: 391 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ DC, USA
Originally Posted by Kozzi View Post
Wonder where is that n-series team person from. Since father's day is 9th November in Finland according to Wikipedia.
Well, that IS closer to the time the 770 was released that US Fathers' Day.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mullf For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Well, stirring the pot by myself being a pain in the arse with these questions here to get a few thing out helps a bit but it's still hard to educate them on what's coming if they ask 'what?' and 'when?' again.
What is easy (and this is all from Nokia folk working at Maemo Software):
  1. Fast OMAP3 processor, capable of 3D effects and 720p HD video playback
  2. HSPA (3G) data access all the time
  3. Stereo Bluetooth headset support
  4. Kinetic scrolling
  5. More fluid, revamped UI based on Clutter
  6. A high definition (5MP, probably) camera EDIT: added

When is also simple (and this is from Nokia employees as well): 2009 (probably around the middleish)

I'm just having a hard time being convinced that maemo and Freemantle have anything to do with the 'when' of a new Nokia product (maaaaybe the what), seeing as how I don't get to see it running on anything and I'm being asked to believe what's being told to me by the maemo folks and not from Nokia--which doesn't necessarily have to have a 1:1 relationship.
Maemo Software (folks like qgil, ragnar, jussi, timeless, Eero and so on) is a team within Nokia. All of the stuff above has come from them, either at the Summit, in Bugzilla, in emails on maemo-* mailing lists, on IRC or here on ITT.

Let me put it another way, no-one on the Maemo Community Council (so kindly elected by all ya lovely folks) is guessing at stuff without strong evidence - it's our job to collate what they say and funnel it to you (and what you say back to them).

Last edited by Jaffa; 2009-02-28 at 15:40. Reason: Forgot the camera, for shame...

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
. . . maemo and Freemantle . . .
I'm getting really bored of harping on this point over and over, but since I've picked up the banner I might as well carry through. . . .

That's Maemo and Fremantle.*

I'm being asked to believe what's being told to me by the maemo folks and not from Nokia--which doesn't necessarily have to have a 1:1 relationship.
Maemo folks are Nokia employees (in this case, more specifically, I believe we're talking about Quim Gil and Peter Schneider—community people like myself and Jaffa are either maemo.org folks Maemo Community folks, or just community folks), and the relevant things that you've heard from these Nokia employees can largely be taken as official.

*Apologies for the exaggerated formatting, but my previous less exaggerated attempts seem to have had little effect.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 610 | Thanked: 391 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ DC, USA
Originally Posted by F1shb0ne View Post
Nokia's could be doing much more to sustain interest for a number of users.
I know. Even if they don't release any photos of the N900, if they just release a pic of the optional hardcase, it would make my day! (And give others an idea of the size of the device.)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mullf For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
I'm getting really bored of harping on this point over and over, but since I've picked up the banner I might as well carry through. . . .
That's Maemo and Fremantle.*
No matter how many times you've said it.. I openly admit that I've mangled it. Sorry about that.

Maybe, instead, we can start debating how to pronounce it instead?

FREE-man-tull? FRAY-man-tull? FREH-man-tull?

hehe.. oh man.

Tags
blurry photos, fud, funny farm, haiku, hibernation, not the droids, picnic baskets, straightjacket, trollosaurus rex, what competition?