Excuse me if this has been asked before, but I _did_ search the forum before asking

I still have my trusty palm wireless IR keyboard. Is there a way to use it with my n800? Some kind of IR USB dongle perhaps? I'm not looking for a IR remote control, just a way to tether the keyboard and the n800.

Posts: 77 | Thanked: 41 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Charlotte, NC
This might not be exactly what you are looking for, but I have an IR keyboard that has its own IR receiver built into a USB cable (http://tinyurl.com/ark8c5 on ebay). This works great for me on my N800.

I think the issue will be one of having drivers for the dongle. Since my keyboard has the receiver built into the cable it does not need any drivers, but your keyboard likely needs drivers to connect with the dongle.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eetimm For This Useful Post:
Thanks eetimm,

and as you guessed my question is about not buying a new keyboard but trying to make the old one work.

I thought since the palm wireless once was a popular keyboard maybe some hacker from this forum got it working with a tablet.
I wouldn't even mind smoldering in a USB port, for what's a IR port worth in the future? There won't be many devices out there who use IR, I guess.

But with the driver issue you're describing it seems pretty unlikely this is going to work

I'm not certain, but my guess is that IR keyboards would work with a serial profile driver.