Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Yeah, there's a valid comparison.
Well, since nokia has dropped the ball on n8x0 support (fixed in fremantle), yes,it's a valid comparison. I'm pretty sure nvidia will be even worse.
What closed drivers are you complaining about? WiFi?
The fully-working one is still closed, yes. Last I heard the one they opened doesn't work with sound and doesn't support power management.
Then there's the 3d and video acceleration that's not available neither in closed nor open form, battery charging and probably something more that I'm not aware of.
Anyway, I'm not involved in kernel hacking (or general hacking) on the n8x0, but I rely on the opinion of someone who is

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by luca View Post
Well, since nokia has dropped the ball on n8x0 support (fixed in fremantle), yes,it's a valid comparison. I'm pretty sure nvidia will be even worse.
Why don't you talk to Stskeeps and johnx about Mer?

Originally Posted by luca View Post
Anyway, I'm not involved in kernel hacking (or general hacking) on the n8x0, but I rely on the opinion of someone who is
As do I.

Posts: 398 | Thanked: 301 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Texas
There's a nice writeup on the Tegra at Ars Technica.

Frank

Last edited by Frank Banul; 2009-02-19 at 01:43.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Er, what? Shred of proof of what? The OMAP4 is at least 2 years down the road, so you can safely ignore it for now.
It's brought up enough to sound closer.

As far as the OMAP3, people have plenty of devices using OMAP3 in their hands (Archos 5, Beagle Board, Pandora prototypes, and various OMAP3 development kits, etc.) since 2007, so it's not exactly difficult to judge how it'll perform. Tegra, on the other hand, has yet to ship anything.

I'm not sure what you're complaining about here, really.
Who's complaining? I'm talking without being condescending much like some socially inept troglodyte. Now, back to what I was saying, not what you attempted to inject...

What I've seen so far, doesn't instill faith that OMAP3 is worth anything. 720p - other chipsets already do 1080p. We'd have to wait for 1080p and other chipsets, drivers, implementations to make it happen from what I've heard so far - 3430 vs. 3440 (forgive me if I got the numbers wrong, I'm not following the OMAP3 too closely, only enough).

The Tegra isn't "on par" with either the OMAP3 or the OMAP4. It's somewhere between an OMAP2 and an OMAP3.
See, now this is good information. I'd like to see evidence to back it up.

Um? What? Nokia's announced their general plans for the next tablets hardware (OMAP3, HD camera, HSPA) and we've been able to divine more information about the hardware based on the Fremantle pre-alphas. What's the problem here? :\
Um, has it been shown yet?

Exactly. There's no problem other than what I said and you didn't quite comprehend.

Allow me to use smaller words. They've shown Tegra and other things in front of people. Nvidia hasn't. Thus, my faith in the yet-to-be shown is lacking.

I think even you can follow that.

Have a good one.

Posts: 398 | Thanked: 301 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Texas
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
It's brought up enough to sound closer.

They've shown Tegra and other things in front of people. Nvidia hasn't. Thus, my faith in the yet-to-be shown is lacking.
Should that be Nokia hasn't?

Frank

The Following User Says Thank You to Frank Banul For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
given that the next nokia will be using omap3, and thats basically the same as whats used in beagleboard and will be used in openpandora, and both can be found videos of showing running software (i even think there was a early beagleboard at some linux conference, running a hacked up version of maemo as a desktop), i would say the basic platform have been shown.

Originally Posted by Frank Banul View Post
Should that be Nokia hasn't?

Frank
Good catch. I meant Nokia hasn't shown anything. And in this day and age of announce first, produce something later (maybe)... my faith in what Nokia will deliver isn't as high, nor blind, as that other person.

As it stands, it's not even remotely near a complaint or whatever else that person may try to relegate my comments to seem.

I'd like to see more. Just haven't.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
I think even you can follow that.
It's funny that the person who's complaining about slinging personal insults is the only one actually doing it. I was surprised at a lot of the content of your previous post, and was somewhat interested to know where you had picked it up. If you want to take that down to ad hominem, though, have at it.

The Following User Says Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Sigh.

Don't inject negative words like "complain" or confrontational statements like "What's the problem here?" when it's not necessary at all. Work on your tone some more. You seriously are counter-friendly to this forum in so many ways.

You tend to bring out the absolute worst in the casual NIT user and forum poster.

And I didn't complain about a damn thing. I addressed you simply back as you had addressed me... in a condescending tone. Tit for tat. Savvy?

Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya
Why don't you talk to Stskeeps and johnx about Mer?
Mer kinda confirms my point that nokia is dropping support and is expecting the community to fill the void. Which is not a bad thing, if the platform were open...
As do I.
...and this post you linked confirm it isn't and it probably will never be.
I still think that this nvidia thing will be worse.