Active Topics

I sure would like to see A2DP bluetooth profile support in the future. Any mention of that?

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by dbec10 View Post
The thing needs a docking station. With VGA out and additional USB ports for extra peripherals. SOLD SEPARATELY!
If the tablets worked with something like this...

http://www.targus.com/uk/print_produ...sp?sku=ACP50EU

...would that be acceptable?

Last edited by Texrat; 2008-09-18 at 01:53.

Originally Posted by macr0t0r View Post
Besides, when a device uses a cellular service, every firmware update has to be vetted by that service to make sure it doesn't "abuse" the network.
Says who?

Most of the phones my family has used were never approved by our GSM carrier. I have never had to worry about their approval of firmware, phone style, features or any other aspect.

I acquire the unlocked phone, plug in my sim card, and I use it. It's been that simple every single time.

So, sorry to xxWhateverxx, but this one is wrong, too.

The concerns about the addition of an HSPA modem are as overblown as those over the N810's inclusion of a hardware keyboard. That was supposed to "kill the product line", too.

Last edited by Texrat; 2008-09-18 at 02:30.

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by brontide View Post
Nokia can't just keep throwing out "great hardware" and expecting us to pick up the slack. This time the "great hardware" may or may not come branded from a carrier ( and make no mistake, they will muck it up ). Each carrier will want it's pound of flesh and it the community be damned.
Who says the carriers will have that much say?

How much say did any of them have over the N95?

Before you leap to claim that's irrelevant, consider again that HSPA in an internet tablet is a serious game changer. Carriers will tend to avoid it like the plague... and not because of any technical shortcomings, but rather, due to technical advantages.

Insisting on wifi in high-end phones cost us dearly with some carriers (typically in the US). Odds are your fears over any of the same head-in-sand carriers co-opting the direction of future tablet development is just flat paranoid.

So, once again, sorry to xxWhatsitxx. Still wrong. But keep trying! Maybe you'll quote someone that got it right next time.

Posts: 354 | Thanked: 93 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ New York
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Who says the carriers will have that much say?
History???

We ain't drinking your Koolaide Texrat, so go pound sand.

So, once again, sorry to xxWhatsitxx. Still wrong. But keep trying! Maybe you'll quote someone that got it right next time.
Just like a the ***** you are Tex, you cannot prove I am wrong about what has yet to happen in the future. It hasn't happened yet. Time will tell who is right and who is wrong pal. Brontide and Gen Antilles really know stuff. Get a clue Tex....and the gun thing? It is in the US Constitution, and the Supreme Court decided in July 2008 that Wash. DC, Boston, NYC etc. got it wrong. You don't like the 2nd Amendment? Fine, get it repealed...if your team cannot do that then either live with it or move to Europe.

If the "carriers" become involved in NIT stuff, it will be the end as we know it.

Posts: 213 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Barbados
@Texrat post 122

Yes.

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Hi!

I should be surely sleeping instead of reading you, but couldn't resist.

- The announcement yesterday was mostly about supported hardware? Sure, this is the most delicate part and the stuff many media, analysts and even many of you care primarily about. Good to have a Nokia vicepresident investing the 25 minutes available in his keynote on this (plus the Linux Foundation Gold, which implies a strategic message that I'm not sue the Linux lovers here appreciate. Then we have a Maemo developer session of 2h and a Maemo Summit of 2 days to go through more Fremantle details.

- HSPA/3G support is cool and deep stuff. C'mon. I understand the initial resistance from some of the current core insiders but there is plenty of people out there that never considered a Maemo device and thanks to this will think of it for the first time. Just like the hardware keyboard a year ago. Remember? Many of you didn't like it either but thanks to it (and well, some more stuff) now there is many more brilliant people around here. Also remember, eventually some opponents felt in love when they had the real thing in their hands. On a related note I also said repeated times years ago that I would never get a mobile with a camera and look me now.

- All this "exciting" discussion about data plans and what not is, if you look at it, pure speculation at this point. Maybe even a waste of time? Fremantle is not even in alpha and there is no device announced for it. Costs for data and business models about data today are X, Y, Z. 6 months ago they were different. 1 year ago they were different. How will be they when a device with Fremantle inside comes out?

Definitely time to sleep for me. More in few hours!

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
xx, you have my views on guns completely wrong... but that's not surprising given your misguided interpretation of other comments as well as your misunderstanding of the discussion in general.

I suggest, again, laying off the politics in addition to educating yourself on not only fun subjects like cell phones and history but also the concept of logical fallacies. Fascinating stuff. Go to it! I'll expect a report tomorrow morning.

Hey, buddy, thanks for stopping in!

Originally Posted by qgil View Post
- All this "exciting" discussion about data plans and what not is, if you look at it, pure speculation at this point. Maybe even a waste of time?
I agree with your other points but speculation isn't necessarily a waste of time IF someone learns from the exercise. I know I did today, and it looks like a few others have as well (like ARJWright, who appears to have had a disruptive epiphany ).

The only real problem with speculation is when people use it to assume the past always dictates the future (it should of course instead help shape it with lessons learned) and that disproving negatives is a valuable endeavor.

Posts: 354 | Thanked: 93 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ New York
xx, you have my views on guns completely wrong... but that's not surprising given your misguided interpretation of other comments as well as your misunderstanding of the discussion in general.

I suggest, again, laying off the politics in addition to educating yourself on not only fun subjects like cell phones and history but also the concept of logical fallacies. Fascinating stuff. Go to it! I'll expect a report tomorrow morning.
You use that word misguided toward me repeatedly. I am misguided in your view maybe, but you don't get to decide what I believe. If I have your view on the 2nd amendment wrong I apologize.

Why can't you acknowledge that what Brontide and Ryan say might have validity, even if you think my opinions are nonsense?

You saying I have logical fallacies, does not automatically make it so.

Later.

Tags
job, n900