Oh oh, I have another!
Hardware power off like any other modern computer. That is, holding the button switches off the device instead of waiting for always expecting software to be able to do it. I would honestly consider that a major selling point given the amount of pain and frustration the bizarre lack of it has produced for the N810.

Last edited by Picklesworth; 2008-08-12 at 05:26.

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Originally Posted by Picklesworth View Post
Oh oh, I have another!
A hardware power switch. That is, holding the button switches off the device instead of waiting for software to do it. I would honestly consider that a major selling point given the amount of pain and frustration the bizarre lack of it has produced for the N810.
And do you know what this will do to your file system?

The Following User Says Thank You to Bundyo For This Useful Post:
Less pain than yanking the battery out when the system locks up.
Indeed, I miswrote that. By waiting for software to do it, I of course mean when software has completely toppled over and is not going to do it within the current decade.

Last edited by Picklesworth; 2008-08-12 at 05:21.

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Even if there are system files on the damaged areas?

The people didn't like much the wifi corruption bug, probably won't like this either.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
Originally Posted by Picklesworth View Post
Less pain than yanking the battery out when the system locks up.
Indeed, I miswrote that. By waiting for software to do it, I of course mean when software has completely toppled over and is not going to do it within the current decade.
at that point, wait a moment and see it reboot itself. unless both init (or whatever) and the kernel har gone belly up (highly unlikely) the lifeguard process will get its time at some point and then it will reboot the tablet.

The Following User Says Thank You to tso For This Useful Post:
Yep, that should do. Other than that, an apparently "dead" system is usually the CPU running flat out, and sometimes hitting the home button a few times will eventually produce the list of applications and you can hit the 'x' and kill them/it.

I think the N900 could have the potential for being a fantastic universal remote for A/V equipment. Since it can connect to the internet, one could imagine companies providing profiles for various remotes, allowing one to store a whole set of remotes in one unit. Since it has a touch screen, the screen could be configured to appear like just about any remote available. You'd just press the button on the screen to stop or pause or play, etc. I suppose it could even learn the commands of generic remotes by monitoring the outputs of these remotes. It has the potential of being a killer app.

Of course, the N900 would have to have a IR port to do this, something the N810 unfortunately lacks....

Posts: 177 | Thanked: 68 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Phoenix
Originally Posted by honzik View Post
I think the N900 could have the potential for being a fantastic universal remote for A/V equipment. Since it can connect to the internet, one could imagine companies providing profiles for various remotes, allowing one to store a whole set of remotes in one unit. Since it has a touch screen, the screen could be configured to appear like just about any remote available. You'd just press the button on the screen to stop or pause or play, etc. I suppose it could even learn the commands of generic remotes by monitoring the outputs of these remotes. It has the potential of being a killer app.

Of course, the N900 would have to have a IR port to do this, something the N810 unfortunately lacks....
Logitech and others already have these.

Originally Posted by Wes Doobner View Post
Logitech and others already have these.
True, but an N900 with IR potentially means one less remote lying around the house.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by honzik View Post
True, but an N900 with IR potentially means one less remote lying around the house.
Do not want.

It's better as an add-on. I pointed out that it'd be really neat to have a geek port/slot.. in another thread I'd mentioned maybe a PCIe connector for micro devices in an expansion port? That would probably be the best thing. My old Handsprings and my Palm Tungsten T5 had a built-in IR... I never used it for anything except on the extremely rare occasion of printing to my IR enabled printer. IR ports are very slow for data and to make the signal bright enough for using as a remote controller, you'd use a lot of battery life--this is why you needed an add-on on the Palm computers to do that. I could see myself using an IR port--but I could want to use something else more.

Tags
dpads are fun, ideas, n900, n900 wishlist, revenge of the styli, stuff for nokia to read, the wrath of sty, wishlist