Active Topics

Posts: 602 | Thanked: 735 times | Joined on Mar 2011 @ Nantes, France
Hope to see the detailed installation instructions to include the way to preserve the DRM keys and do the photo quality.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to romu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 88 | Thanked: 411 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ southern Italy
About Sailfish X:
Originally Posted by r0kk3rz View Post
the bluetooth we can probably fix, unfortunately the kernel support for these broadcom combo chips isn't particularly amazing...
True, but how many of us consider bluetooth unavailability a serious problem? I rarely used bluetooth with my other phones (including Jolla and N900). Ages ago it was the faster and better way to share some pic/contact, but today? With the exception of bluetooth earsets and toying with BLE (which requires someone writing Sailfish-specific apps), is there any real life usage?

Even less the FM radio, that has been around for quite some time: nice toy, but... did anyone ever feel the need to use it?

Thus, if there are issues with FM radio and bluetooth, it means that the more interesting stuff (USB, wifi, camera...) are working well.

About Android 8 kernel:
Originally Posted by lantern View Post
I meant good for support. Newer kernels, better drivers, etc
While this is true, it comes a bit too late (Android 8 just came out now) - you only switch kernels (and thus all critical libraries) after thorough testing. I guess it may happen with SFOS "3.0" (when they will update Qt as well); I name it "3.0" because a large number of apps will need some testing and possibly updates.

Some news...

Stock Android 7 on Xperia X asks the user to enable some "audio enhancement" everytime I use the earplugs. I never allowed it because I'd like to have a fair test on a number of different ear sets. So far the stock Sony earplugs performed surprisingly well, albeit at a lower sound pressure level (SPL) than the AKG 317. My only regret is that the '317 sports a volume slider, more useful than an integrated microphone. (Note that sound quality is not a synonym of "more SPL").

Another good thing on the Xperia X: the camera glass (the one protruding 0.3mm out), while collects dust around it (because it protrudes), is surprisingly resilient to dirt. I've always checked the camera glass on my phones before taking a picture because it was very easy to get it dirty.

Originally Posted by lantern View Post
PS Going to buy only when they announce F5122 dual-sim support...
The "dual SIM" use case is somewhat rare:
- people willing to have both personal and work phone numbers in a single device
- people willing to use two different carriers (example: one for voice and the other for data)

It would have to deal with a number of extra issues:
- temporarily disabling one SIM (probably you don't want "work" calls/texts outside work hours)
- selecting SIM to use to send next SMS
- allowing/disallowing data traffic from the other carrier when the selected one is unavailable
- maybe also managing Contacts to avoid mixing work and family ones...

The only other reason to choose the F5122 over the F5121 is the internal memory (64 Gb vs 32 Gb). But if you use a cheap 64 Gb microSD to store all of your "large" (i.e. multimedia) data, you'll probably won't consider an issue having only 32Gb (Jolla1 was 16) inside...

Can't wait for October 11 (also, I guess future Sailfish X devices will be announced later).

Wondering if the Sailfish X installation instructions will include backupping of the Xperia X keys.

Also, if ~20,000 people buy it, that will mean One Million Euros to Jolla guys for their hard work (yay!). But mostly it will mean a clear message to Sony managers: lots of people are willing to pay even 50 bucks to get Sailfish instead of Android - that is, Sailfish is not an Android replacement but added value. Basically my 50 bucks are more an investment than buying an operating system.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to alfmar For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by alfmar View Post
The "dual SIM" use case is somewhat rare:
It would have to deal with a number of extra issues:
The only other reason to choose the F5122 over the F5121 is the internal memory (64 Gb vs 32 Gb).
If you think something is not useful, doesn't mean it is.
And also all those "extra issues" are already solved in SailfishOS on Jolla C. So no. Those are not "extra issues" at all.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to lantern For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
I do think Xperia X is as slow as my current FP2 so no go for me. Dalvik is kind of slow on FP2. And the camera on FP2 sucks. But if I should buy a new device I dont want to buy three year old HW just to get SFOS.
Slowness seems to be a personal issue
I still have my 4-years-old Jolla sbj1 as my daily driver and I don't see it as a slow device; I suppose the Xperia X will be fast enough for me then, hm?

And the camera in the Sony device is probably better than what I've got in the sbj1 even without the DRM enhancements so that's a bonus too.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
True, but how many of us consider bluetooth unavailability a serious problem? I rarely used bluetooth with my other phones (including Jolla and N900). Ages ago it was the faster and better way to share some pic/contact, but today? With the exception of bluetooth earsets and toying with BLE (which requires someone writing Sailfish-specific apps), is there any real life usage?
For me BT unfortunately is essential; I like to use BT headset to listen to music when I go cycling or running... Workaround is to use wired headset but that'd feel like a step backwards

Even less the FM radio, that has been around for quite some time: nice toy, but... did anyone ever feel the need to use it?
I agree, radio is not essential as all the stations I listen to have netwok broadcast too.
The only case for FM radio against net radio is that FM allows you to be totally anonymous; listening to network broadcasts at least lets tha station to know how many people are actively listening if not directly disclose your identity

Also, if ~20,000 people buy it, that will mean One Million Euros to Jolla guys for their hard work (yay!). But mostly it will mean a clear message to Sony managers: lots of people are willing to pay even 50 bucks to get Sailfish instead of Android - that is, Sailfish is not an Android replacement but added value. Basically my 50 bucks are more an investment than buying an operating system.
Ditto, the pricetag of 50 euros is pretty cheap way to show support for SFOS development.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,743 | Thanked: 1,231 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Twickenham, UK
Supporting Jolla is the only reason I'm willing to shell out 50 euros

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to anidel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,743 | Thanked: 1,231 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Twickenham, UK
Btw, when they say "camera works well", what do they mean?
I am not expecting Lumia's quality, but does it perform well ?

Anyone got pics made with this camera (with native Android and Sailfish X) so that we could compare?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to anidel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 187 | Thanked: 162 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Sunny Woollahra
About Sailfish X:

Bluetooth: driving

Seriously, if you aren't using Bluetooth while you're driving you are putting other people at risk & shouldn't be driving

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to rfa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 380 | Thanked: 459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Slovenia
Originally Posted by rfa View Post
Bluetooth: driving

Seriously, if you aren't using Bluetooth while you're driving you are putting other people at risk & shouldn't be driving
have to agree. can't imagine a phone without bluetooth right now. I hope they fix this before the release.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to olympus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 343 | Thanked: 819 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Paris, France
bluetooth is also almost essential for me:
- in the car to play the music in the phone and to answer phone calls
- with headsets (sony btw :P) very frequently
- with Bluetooth speakers
- with my pebble watch

I will buy likely the sailfishX but cannot depart from another phone until Bluetooth is available. However I am confident that it will eventually come and without waiting too long, but I am definitely supporting them (as usual)

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to P@t For This Useful Post:

Tags
sailfish os, sony xperia x