Notices

Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Originally Posted by artish0ke View Post
Is this just what I was waiting for or is it just evolution?
If you analize it objectively, it has no benefits over the rest of closed/crap IM systems.

Yes, it has an open client (which is not what is used for the official ones), but so have any of the IM systems which use XMPP as protocol (even Whatsapp technically has open clients, some of them available on this forum).

But despite what their owners are saying, it is fully centralized, and it is not federated. The owners can do anything, including but not limited to changing the protocol, the rules and the license. They can close the service at their whim and there's nothing you can do about it. The service may at any later date start including features you don't like (e.g. someone 'leaks' russian signals intelligence has 'influenced' some of its design) and you won't be able to move from the service without losing communication with your existing contacts.

And obviously let's not enter into the fake security features. The best that can be said is that they're not worse than Whatscrap. And that's not saying much.

Out of curisity, so what's attracting you to this service, versus, opening an account on any jabber server and using the client that's built-in in _every_ Maemo/Sailfish version released to date?

The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by coderus View Post
can you make an github repo for project? i want to get it working for harmattan with QML UI
Great Coderus thank for that

Posts: 1,378 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Göteborg, Sweden
Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
Out of curisity, so what's attracting you to this service, versus, opening an account on any jabber server and using the client that's built-in in _every_ Maemo/Sailfish version released to date?
As a former jabber server owner, my sentiments precisely. However, what attracts folk to all these centralised cloud apps is ubiquity and automation - in the Whatsapp/telegram case, the address automation (the very thing "we" object to!). No looking up, searching, persuading friends to open account. Yeah, trivial I know, once you know how...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to handaxe For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,436 | Thanked: 12,699 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Ängelholm, Sweden
I just trust Durov and his initiatives. He is a person you can trust with no doubt.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to coderus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 34 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Jan 2014 @ mumbai,maharashtra,India
how to install telegram in nokia n900 ????????
can anybody give me full information step by step.. thnk u..

Last edited by aamirshaikh; 2014-02-12 at 14:46.

Posts: 6,436 | Thanked: 12,699 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Ängelholm, Sweden
do you know what "cli" means?

The Following User Says Thank You to coderus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 445 | Thanked: 367 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Italy
there's a webapp zhukov.github.io/webogram/

The Following User Says Thank You to gianko For This Useful Post:
And i'll wait for someone make GUI for this application...

Posts: 461 | Thanked: 358 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Bilbao (Basque Country [Spain])
A GUI wouldn't be needed. It has got an open API and open protocol, so it could be integrated in N900 messaging like jabber, skype, msn... wich would be great

Yes, it has an open client (which is not what is used for the official ones)
Open clients for various platforms, open API, and open protocol. Official clients are open too, with GPLv2 licence. https://telegram.org/apps

But despite what their owners are saying, it is fully centralized, and it is not federated.
Sure? They even talk about location of their servers around the world. Or maybe you are talking about the control of the servers (wich are closed source and cannot be implemented (except by reverse engineering)).

The owners can do anything, including but not limited to changing the protocol, the rules and the license.
And the world could end, but it is not predicted yet. Free sowftware community could then fork last GPLv2 version and do reverse engineering for the servers.

The service may at any later date start including features you don't like (e.g. someone 'leaks' russian signals intelligence has 'influenced' some of its design) and you won't be able to move from the service without losing communication with your existing contacts.
The actual situation is that most of the people use Whatsapp and only we, the geeks using other things... Having an open protocol wich can be implemented wherever you like and with promises of good privacy protection is great and much better than actual situation. Telegram is getting very popular, and while defeating Whatsapp is difficult, maybe is doable. Most of people don't worry about privacy or openess but about not having to pay 1$/year. It's stupid, they pay much more for the mobile service, but I don't care while I get an open, widely used and privacy respectful IM.

And obviously let's not enter into the fake security features. The best that can be said is that they're not worse than Whatscrap. And that's not saying much.
Maybe their protocol could be broken, and his prize for whoever cracks their protocol isn't doable because of the asked conditions. There are criticism about that, and some unclear debate, but for sure, his security is better than Whatsapp easy crackable one.

Mainly, the people. I am using Whatsapp (Yappari, thanks Scorpius ) in my N900 with restriction of the contacts I send to Whatsapp Inc. to synchronize and without using it in open wifis. Most of my friends don't use another thing and some got angry with me when I tried to convince them about other alternatives, privacy concerns, openness...

The Following User Says Thank You to malkavian For This Useful Post:
Posts: 804 | Thanked: 1,598 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gdynia, Poland
Originally Posted by malkavian View Post
And the world could end, but it is not predicted yet. Free sowftware community could then fork last GPLv2 version and do reverse engineering for the servers.
Did this ever happen? Even though... people would still use the official closed version (they probably wouldn't even notice the change - it would update automagically on their mobiles) or move to other WhatsCrapp... It always worked this way for hype-based apps.

Originally Posted by malkavian View Post
The actual situation is that most of the people use Whatsapp and only we, the geeks using other things... Having an open protocol wich can be implemented wherever you like and with promises of good privacy protection is great and much better than actual situation.
I agree with javispedro herem that is nothing better than previous situation... "better" and "for geeks" would be own hosted and well protected+encrypted xmpp server. Unless your definition of geek is close to "person who follows all technical hypes regardless of whether the hype is clever or stupid", i.e. "sheep".

edit: i don't want to seem rude or attacking, that's just bitter truth based on my experiences

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to misiak For This Useful Post:

Tags
spyware, telescam