It doesn't work perfectly.
But it surely last for more than 3 seconds and I think more than 10, but it does
freeze or return that the server (the kismet server since is a client/server application) has stopped or something like that.
I wouldn't say it does always the same thing in the same amount of time.

What do you think would be the problem ? Shall I try to put the other drivers ?
How come someone got dsniff/tcpdump working and I don't ?
As I said in my previous message, with tcpdump without options sometimes works and start reading all the raw data coming from a belking54g named router, and it last for more than 10 seconds .. it keeps going, but it doesn't seem to pick up all traffic, just whatever it likes.

If you need me to do any test let me know!

Hello, I've been trying kismet on my N800,

I got this:

- 10% of the times it starts sniffing without problems, but then after 2 or 3 minutes the server application stops (it seems like the interface or driver going down).
- 90% of the times it starts and stops after sniffing 100 packets (3 secs).

we really need a good driver fix for rfmon mode ':-)

PS:
I'm using the driver version that comes with the last update from 2007 OS (january 2007)

when it fails I rmmod the driver and insmod it again, (this tricks also works for recovering the connection)

hmmm, I think I've got a solution:

edit /etc/kismet.conf

and set:

channelhop = false (or channelhopping, I don't remember)

then go to connection manager (from panel control) and set the automatic WLAN search to 60 minutes.

Then if you run kismet on a fixed channel you'll have it running for 60 mins without problems

Greetings

ajo: thanks, better than nothing. Still wish I could figure out what's preventing channelhopping, esp. since both the original and open source drivers suffer from the problem.

Of course, it's just a temporary solution.
The best would be a stable wireless driver, but we will have to wait for this ':-)

I would like to note that this problem only manifests on the latest (3rd released) firmware for the n800. The earlier releases work fine with kismet, with the caveat of having to tap the screen constantly to keep power management from kicking in and killing the interface.

I haven't tried this trick on the 2nd firmware, but see this thread for information on how to increase the screen timeout. Can anyone confirm whether this works to keep kismet up and running?

Just another thought: How about running kismet under the "screen" program to keep it from being attached to the real display? Of course, I can't find a version of screen that installs!

Works for me now on my N800...if I turn off channel hopping.

Luke

> channelhop = false (or channelhopping, I don't remember)
This will disable channel hopping so it will be less useful, isn't it?

As for me: kismet stops receiving packets after some short time.It looks like it receives burst of corrupted packets, then capture stops.There is error in dmesg log from CX driver appears, it complains that maybe firmware of wi-fi IC has crashed.Looks like Wi-Fi IC is really misbehaves then until you do something which will cause wi-fi IC to re-boot and reload its firmware(reboot device or enter power-saving mode, etc).

FYI: aircrack-ng works fine though, while it does hopping as well(it hops slower than kismet).This is strange but it does works.The only thing is that it also grabs corrupted packets as well as good ones.Maybe too fast channel hopping really screws up Wi-Fi IC's firmware?If so, it can't be fixed by driver itself, maybe bug in wi-fi firmware?Btw, I'm about Wi-Fi IC's firmware (.arm file loaded by CX driver into wi-fi IC).Not about n800 firmware.

Last edited by PowerUser; 2007-05-31 at 13:24.

Putting the device in offline mode first can fix some of the client exiting problems, I think. The problem where it stops receiving updates after a few seconds seems to be random, but common: I did get it to work once (while talking with Dragorn on IRC ) for quite some time, but that has been the only time.

BTW - Dragorn (the author of Kismet) requests that problem reports or questions regarding Kismet be passed along to the forums at http://kismetwireless.net/Forum/General/ since it is likely that threads here will go unread by the people/person who might be able to fix the problems.
AbiWord on Maemo beta now available - contact me to help fix bugs!

Last edited by megabyte405; 2007-07-08 at 05:59.