Notices

I need help. Must get homeworld to work. I'm a maemo noob so bear with me for being nooby. How exactly do I run ./homeworld? I got as far as home/user/MyDocs/Homeworld then when trying ./homeworld I get permission denied. Help a noob someone :E Thanks.

Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 1,292 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Tartus.Syria
MyDocs partition does not support permissions...
you may want to move the folder to /home/user/ or /opt/

./sifo
https://www.facebook.com/ZoRk7

Thank you for the help, I moved to both directories; /opt/ then home/user but still got the same permission denied error. Also I got permission denied when trying to delete the folder (Homeworld) back from /opt/. I was able to delete it from home/user however. No idea what to try now, any help at all would be awesome.

EDIT: I got it. After using chmod to get permission on the "homeworld" file using chmod g+w homeworld thats after cd'ing to home/user/Homeworld I was able to run using ./homeworld.

Now I have Homeworld on my N900! Expect feedback.

Last edited by Axeslashed; 2012-08-29 at 11:25.

This is great work. The Game runs fine except for the stuttering in the sound. I'm overclocked at 850 and it still stutters. At 600 its much worse. Could this somehow be fixed?

The link to the binary on the OP is dead, does anyone have a mirror?

The Following User Says Thank You to hasmael For This Useful Post:
Try again now.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gidzzz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
I wonder how it will run if thumb-compiled.

@gidzzz - if you have time and will to try, I will give you some support to setup thumb target in scratchbox

720p video support on N900,SmartReflex on N900,Keyboard and mouse support on N900
Nothing is impossible - Stable thumb2 on n900

Community SSU developer
kernel-power developer and maintainer

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
You got me curious. I loosely followed instructions from the wiki to set up the GCC 4.7.2 target and looks like it went well (Open Media Player lost almost half of its weight, yay! Hamster Filer works great too).

Unfortunately, when it comes to Homeworld, it fails to start with the following message, no matter if it's compiled with or without -mthumb:
Code:
A newer kernel is required to run this binary. (__kernel_cmpxchg64 helper)
Aborted (core domped)
I have no idea what to do with it (although I have not performed a thorough googling yet). If you have a clue, I'd be grateful.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gidzzz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
Originally Posted by gidzzz View Post
You got me curious. I loosely followed instructions from the wiki to set up the GCC 4.7.2 target and looks like it went well (Open Media Player lost almost half of its weight, yay! Hamster Filer works great too).

Unfortunately, when it comes to Homeworld, it fails to start with the following message, no matter if it's compiled with or without -mthumb:
Code:
A newer kernel is required to run this binary. (__kernel_cmpxchg64 helper)
Aborted (core domped)
I have no idea what to do with it (although I have not performed a thorough googling yet). If you have a clue, I'd be grateful.
I did just a little googling, but it seems to me your gcc target CPU is not setup correctly. For some reason gcc is not using LDREX/STREX for atomic operations. Try to pass -march=armv7-a -mcpu=cortex-a8 -mfpu=neon in CFLAGS/CXXFLAGS. But make sure there is no -ffast-math or -O3 or -ftree-vectorize, auto-vectorizer still produces slower neon code than ARM(without auto-vectorizer).

720p video support on N900,SmartReflex on N900,Keyboard and mouse support on N900
Nothing is impossible - Stable thumb2 on n900

Community SSU developer
kernel-power developer and maintainer

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by freemangordon View Post
I did just a little googling, but it seems to me your gcc target CPU is not setup correctly. For some reason gcc is not using LDREX/STREX for atomic operations. Try to pass -march=armv7-a -mcpu=cortex-a8 -mfpu=neon in CFLAGS/CXXFLAGS. But make sure there is no -ffast-math or -O3 or -ftree-vectorize, auto-vectorizer still produces slower neon code than ARM(without auto-vectorizer).
I used the flags that you advised, no change. However...

I tried with GCC 4.6.2 and it worked flawlessly. What are the results? Size of the executable decreased from 2814 KiB to 2232 KiB, but there was no significant FPS gain in my test cases. At 850 MHz it looks approximately like this:

[Scene]: [GCC 4.2.1] -> [GCC 4.6.2 Thumb]
Tutorial: 30.5 FPS -> 31 FPS
Medium battle: 5.5-7.5 FPS -> 6.5-8 FPS
Large battle: 3.2 FPS -> 3.5 FPS

I have begun porting the game to unwrapped GLES, to see if it works any faster, but it did not bring any great improvements in terms of FPS so far (but it's still far from complete). Nevertheless, it wasn't a waste of time, as I fixed two graphical bugs on the way. I'm especially happy that ion beams don't look so lame anymore.

I updated the first post so that it links to the new version. The changes are:
  • Prettier ion cannons
  • Fix for engine trails sometimes not appearing
  • Framerate is written to the terminal
And there's the Thumb executable too!

Last edited by gidzzz; 2012-12-02 at 16:17.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gidzzz For This Useful Post:

Tags
homeworld, homeworldsdl