So a few days ago the usb port starting acting up and not charging unless I do all kinds of acrobatics. Gone are the easy days of just plugging in the usb cable and seeing the phone charge.

It's almost as if the port got stretched out somehow and now won't work unless I gently bend the charging connector slightly upwards and to the right.

I dissambled the phone and the usb port is still connected to the main board...nothing is ripped off or damaged. Just the port is jacked.

I ordered a new usb charging port that will be arriving soon. Until it does arrive, has anyone fixed this without soldering a new one on as that's what I'm going to try once the part arrives.

SB

Posts: 645 | Thanked: 519 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Finland
You could try bend those small connectors in USB cable down with very small screwdriver.
Or opposite in N9 up.

Have you tried with difrend cable? Might be easier to replace that than USB port.
And good luck with soldering if you need to do that.

Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
The same issue has made both my N9s redundant... If you could solve it with soldering a new one, could you please link to the seller of the new part so that I could take it to a repair shop for them to solder it on...

Most of them here refuse to even attempt to open the device as they don't have spare parts...

Thanks!

Posts: 863 | Thanked: 213 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Goa
same here nothing is ripped off, but im having trouble to connect to pc as mass storage nd pc suite

Originally Posted by Mikkosssss View Post
You could try bend those small connectors in USB cable down with very small screwdriver.
Or opposite in N9 up.

Have you tried with difrend cable? Might be easier to replace that than USB port.
And good luck with soldering if you need to do that.
I've tried every usb cable that I have (6) and from colleagues at work. They all require the same massaging for the phone to charge. It's the port...

SB

Hi guys

I'm having problems with my Nokia N9 ear phone jack, if I plug in my earphones they are not detected and the phone will continue to use its main speakers. it only detects the earphones when I reboot the phone with the earphones plug in. but to go back to using the main speakers I then must reboot again with the earphones removed.

how can i deal with this

Posts: 649 | Thanked: 762 times | Joined on Mar 2012 @ Ohio
Originally Posted by Arthur1010 View Post
Hi guys

I'm having problems with my Nokia N9 ear phone jack, if I plug in my earphones they are not detected and the phone will continue to use its main speakers. it only detects the earphones when I reboot the phone with the earphones plug in. but to go back to using the main speakers I then must reboot again with the earphones removed.

how can i deal with this
This fixed the problem for me.

hmmm....little bit of a hijack there?

SB

Posts: 1,067 | Thanked: 2,383 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Finland
usb pins are quite small, so you need a really stable hand to replace the usb port.

More hackish way is to solder the pins to other side of the motherboard, as there are the bigger debug usb pads that are easy to solder to, you just have to figure how to do the wiring there. Usb pin locations can be found in the leaked schematics that are widely available in the internet.
Disclaimer: all my posts in this forum are personal trolling and I never post in any official capacity on behalf of any company.

Originally Posted by rainisto View Post
usb pins are quite small, so you need a really stable hand to replace the usb port.

More hackish way is to solder the pins to other side of the motherboard, as there are the bigger debug usb pads that are easy to solder to, you just have to figure how to do the wiring there. Usb pin locations can be found in the leaked schematics that are widely available in the internet.
Do I need to solder the really tiny 5 pins or only the 2 arms on either side of the usb port or all of them?

SB