Poll: What advanced text entry method(s) would you like to see on Sailfish?
Poll Options
What advanced text entry method(s) would you like to see on Sailfish?

Posts: 228 | Thanked: 100 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Australia
Originally Posted by claustn View Post
doesn't work anymore after the update, Sailfish 2.0.1.1 on Nexus 5 with italian language installed.
Mine took a little coaxing to get going. A reboot and stopping and starting the app. Now it works - love the no more transparent bug !!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to skyjumper For This Useful Post:
doesn't work anymore after the update, Sailfish 2.0.1.1 on Nexus 5 with italian language installed.
For me only a complete uninstall (including German Okboard database) helped. After re-installing everything works fine *. No crashes until now (old version crashed frequently when using German keyboard).

Thanks @eber42 for your fabulous work!

*) Only one minor issue: German Keyboard works, but OKboard gives a warning that files need an update to new DB format 16

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LameDuck For This Useful Post:
Posts: 105 | Thanked: 205 times | Joined on Dec 2015 @ Spain
Just working on the Spanish dictionary update to match DB 16

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ferlanero For This Useful Post:
Posts: 387 | Thanked: 707 times | Joined on May 2015 @ Italy
Originally Posted by LameDuck View Post
For me only a complete uninstall (including German Okboard database) helped. After re-installing everything works fine *. No crashes until now (old version crashed frequently when using German keyboard).

Thanks @eber42 for your fabulous work!

*) Only one minor issue: German Keyboard works, but OKboard gives a warning that files need an update to new DB format 16
Complete uninstall changed nothing, it doesn't start

The Following User Says Thank You to claustn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 654 | Thanked: 2,368 times | Joined on Jul 2014 @ UK
Complete uninstall changed nothing, it doesn't start
I reset all databases and settings and reinstalled. Not sure which one did it, but that worked for me (keyboard still took a while to load the first time).

Edit: I'm using Fairphone 2, so I doubt it's a port specific problem.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Feathers McGraw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 27 | Thanked: 35 times | Joined on Jan 2016 @ Sweden
To the Italian friends: I will compile the new version of the dict in the next few days. I'm waiting for Eber's confirmation that we can proceed.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to spidernik84 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 86 | Thanked: 362 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Paris / France
Thanks for your feedback. Please notice the following issues:

The current implementation is dependent on screen resolution which means it works well only on the original Jolla phone. I have never released the tablet version because of this (it is really awful, and there are a lot of other concerns with tablet usage ...). So Fairphone & Nexus users are probably getting a sub-par user experience. I will try to find another device with phone form factor to test different screen resolutions.

I have rushed the 0.6 release somewhat, so documentation & tools for generating third party language files may not be completely up-to-date. I would recommend maintainers for third party languages to wait a few days until this part is fixed. I will try to make the process smoother for the next release

The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to eber42 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by eber42 View Post
The current implementation is dependent on screen resolution which means it works well only on the original Jolla phone.
Just as fedback: I switched to the Aqua Fish a few month ago. I did no tests, but I didn't notice any difference in usage of OKBoard compared to the original Jolla phone.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LameDuck For This Useful Post:
Posts: 654 | Thanked: 2,368 times | Joined on Jul 2014 @ UK
Originally Posted by eber42 View Post
The current implementation is dependent on screen resolution which means it works well only on the original Jolla phone....So Fairphone & Nexus users are probably getting a sub-par user experience. I will try to find another device with phone form factor to test different screen resolutions.
I haven't noticed any nasty side effects on Fairphone 2. How would you expect the resolution to affect the experience? Is it to do with how much "fuzz" the algorithm considers on the swiped path when computing which words to predict (i.e. X pixels instead of 0.X keys)?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Feathers McGraw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 86 | Thanked: 362 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Paris / France
Third party language file generation should be OK so you can give it a try. Just grab the last commit and replace your old configuration file with an empty one to use new default settings.

Originally Posted by Feathers McGraw View Post
I haven't noticed any nasty side effects on Fairphone 2. How would you expect the resolution to affect the experience? Is it to do with how much "fuzz" the algorithm considers on the swiped path when computing which words to predict (i.e. X pixels instead of 0.X keys)?
From my quick experience on the tablet, the keyboard is far more picky and fails with some error patterns that occur during fast typing. The effect may be dependent on how you use the keyboard.

About the cause and the solution you have clearly nailed it (even if it is a bit more complicated). The plan is just to scale everything internally based on key size for a quick fix.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to eber42 For This Useful Post:

Tags
bettertxtentry, huntnpeck sucks, okboard, sailfish, swype